Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 10-27-2011
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Historical Records

I am new to the forum and am looking for some info. Thanks to any and/or all that may be able to help me.

I took a HP or Racing class with Skip Barber way back when (guessing about 1992-95 time frame). Is it possible to get verification from the school? I know I got a certificate, but can't find it.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

John
Old 10-28-2011
Your favorite PR Girl
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: Historical Records

Hi John!

Your best best would be to call the office and maybe one of the School and Series Advisors can find you in the system. During that time frame, SBRS used a different system to keep track of customers, so I'm not sure if they'll be able to find you. However, I spoke to Jeff, one of our advisors, and he'll help you out. Give him a call at (768)828-2024.
Old 10-28-2011

I spoke to Jeff today, but he could not find my record. It was a long time ago, I'm guessing 1994 ish. It's important to me as I am trying to get my race license and all the experience I can show helps my cause...

John
Old 10-29-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

You may be the unintentional victim of bad timing. After 36 years in Lakeville CT the Skip Barber offices have recently moved to Atlanta, at the same time that a new computer system has been installed. Those two events may be making your record difficult or impossible to locate and verify. You might ask if there are hard files that will be unpacked at some point or if old computer data files will be brought into the new system down the road. I don't know the status of any of these things but I do know they're working as hard as they can just to get the new system functioning properly for current sign ups and it has been frustrating for everyone.
Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuluracerx View Post
I spoke to Jeff today, but he could not find my record. It was a long time ago, I'm guessing 1994 ish. It's important to me as I am trying to get my race license and all the experience I can show helps my cause...

John
Old 10-31-2011
Your favorite PR Girl
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Even though we have the new system, our School Advisor also looked in the previous system we were using up until a few months ago, and there was no record then.

Unfortunately, the files you're looking for were several owners ago and several computer systems ago. There's a strong chance that during that time frame, SBRS had all the accounts on paper, and not in a computer system at all. Unfortunately, if someone isn't in the current system or the one we just switched from, there's no where else we can pull that information from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
You may be the unintentional victim of bad timing. After 36 years in Lakeville CT the Skip Barber offices have recently moved to Atlanta, at the same time that a new computer system has been installed. Those two events may be making your record difficult or impossible to locate and verify. You might ask if there are hard files that will be unpacked at some point or if old computer data files will be brought into the new system down the road. I don't know the status of any of these things but I do know they're working as hard as they can just to get the new system functioning properly for current sign ups and it has been frustrating for everyone.
Good luck.
Old 10-31-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuluracerx View Post
I am new to the forum and am looking for some info. Thanks to any and/or all that may be able to help me.

I took a HP or Racing class with Skip Barber way back when (guessing about 1992-95 time frame). Is it possible to get verification from the school? I know I got a certificate, but can't find it.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

John
If our school was the last authenticated racing you've done, a 20 year old certificate puts you in the same place as I was after a long layoff for diapers and minivans. Square one. Not sure what series or license you're looking for but it sounds like it's time to bite the bullet and sign up for a 3-day racing school. There are some good deals around right now. Most students are recommended for an SCCA novice license (or whatever they call it now) after our school.
If you have more specific questions, ask away. Just remember that around here many of the answers are like Swedish foreplay: "Brace yourself, Ingrid." But all in good fun, of course.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 10-31-2011
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
If our school was the last authenticated racing you've done, a 20 year old certificate puts you in the same place as I was after a long layoff for diapers and minivans. Square one. Not sure what series or license you're looking for but it sounds like it's time to bite the bullet and sign up for a 3-day racing school.
Agreed, Old red. Kelly can correct me, but even with SBRS after a certain time period of non-activity (I think it's five years) we'll require you to go through another 3-day before we'll allow you to participate in a race weekend. That policy is not base on revenue generation either. It's just the smart and responsible thing to do. Rust starts to set in the day we get out of a race car, and that rust needs to be knocked off. Even Mario Andretti said he could feel a little rust after just two weeks out of a car.

Do another 3-day. It will get you the license (probably), and you'll be a better, safer and faster driver. Good luck and have fun!

"Nothing good has ever been reported about the full rotation of a race car about either its pitch or roll axis." ~ Carroll Smith
Old 11-01-2011

All good points, I should have explained it differently. I am actually applying to attend a (2) day race school. One of their requirements to even "attend" the school is having at least (6) Time Trial events with their organization OR have attended a previous race school from another notable organization. Since I have been through the Skippy program I have applied for a waver on this basis. However, now I can't prove it as there are no records. It was a long time ago. I have run multiple events over the last year, but sadly not the right kind to get me in their school. I must complete their (2) day school to gain a provisional race license and be allowed to run in their open passing events. Sorry, I should have explained this earlier. I can imagine reading what I wrote and thinking he took a class 17 years ago and expects to still remember what he was taught? lol I do remember Cort Wagner was one of my instructors though.... John

Bookmark This Thread