Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 05-01-2007
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Miata Racing School/ Worth $4K?

Was surprised that none of the Miata racing schools are sold out? When I called for information was told that seats are available in all the classes, and only 8-10 people per class. Wonder if it is worth $4K. Seems like the Bondurant school may be more value, certainly more exicting cars (Cobras & Corvettes). Before I spend $4K would like to hear some feedback from anyone who is signed up for an upcoming school.
Old 05-01-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8
Re: Miata Racing School/ Worth $4K?

The Miata schools are new this year. New cars but the same Skip Barber level of instruction should be expected. Although few have taken this specific course because of its' newness, I would bet the school is excellent. I doubt you will be disappointed nor wiil you find a better value for what you get from SBRS.

By the way, if you can get in a class with limited drivers you will be getting a lot more attention from the instructors and more seat time!
Old 05-01-2007
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

If you're new to racing, see the thread on 'what racing school to attend'.
Add that the MX-5 school leads directly into the MX-5 series and/or any of the Mazda series all over the country.
If it's just gotta be Cobras? and Corvettes, so be it. Driving techniques apply to any car. Just remember to add the airline tickets to the price. Good luck, whatever you decide.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 05-01-2007
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Not signed up for an MX-5 course but my two cents is that it is of great value to people who want to run in any MX-5 cup classes as there are probably more race prepared (Miata) MX-5's out there than any other class right now. Because they are cheap to run and fun to drive it is a very popular class.

These courses are brand new so there is no word of mouth or even much pre-promotion about them. As I understand it... It is the same basic race training you get in the open wheel school cars except that you are in MX-5's.

The other reason for the MX-5's is to offer an alternative for people who aren't pshycologically comfortable with or can't physically fit in the open wheel race car. There has even been rumor that Skippy may offer an MX-5 based race series down the road.

So don't let the fact that there are available seats scare you off. That could change quickly. I'd base my decision on the kind of race car you're inclined to race after your three day. If you're planning to race sports cars or sedans go with the MX-5 if you're going to run the Skippy or any other open wheel series stay with the open wheel car.

Either way you'll have a blast.

If you're going to be racing Cobra's and Corvettes then the Bondurant course might be of value to you but you'll probably get better ongoing race training doing either Skippy course.
Old 05-01-2007
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 122

Depends on what you want to do. If you are a club miata racer, or in the MX5 cup then the course makes a lot of sense. I would even make an arguement for it being a good platform for any kind of club racing. The miata is a pretty well balanced car, lots of bang for the buck. My dad did a whole lot of Bondurant, he has attended some SB races with me and says it is a great value in comparision
craig
Old 05-06-2007
Skippy Girl
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Any word of MX5 lapping or 2 Day Advanced for those of us who have already taken a formula three day but want to try out a different car?

- At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan
Old 05-08-2007
WillowCross Racing

Too good an idea. Sure to be rejected.
Old 05-08-2007
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Ash,
Let's let them get through a few months of 3-days and see what happens. I would bet they want to go one step at a time.

Bobblehead,
Don't forget the MX-5 Cup cars are essentially race cars. Sure they don't have V-8 engines, but if you've never driven a MX-5 Miata on a race track, you are in for a treat.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 05-08-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo
if you've never driven a MX-5 Miata on a race track, you are in for a treat.
A miata is a total blast--neutral handling, easy to drive, forgiving, nimble, easy on brakes and tires. door-to-door and bumper-to-bumper fun. Because it's a little shy in the horsepower dept, it teaches brake release and rolling momentum through the corners. Most fun you can have on a track, dry or wet!
Old 05-09-2007
WillowCross Racing

Having raced a Miata at Watkins Glen I can tell you it is well worth the money to drive one. My first race I passed 22 cars (John Mayes passed 23). It was a blast!

If you can make a Miata go fast, you will be able to drive your regular ride even faster.
Old 05-17-2007
MX5 Gay Recruit
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Hey guys I was in the first MX5 3 day school at Laguna Seca and I can say that it was an absolute blast. Ever since I heard that Mazda was the school sponsor I was hoping for some new MX5 classes so when they announced them I reserved a seat immediatly.

The curriculum was pretty much identical to the 3 day formula school. I was kinda glad to get back to the more relaxed atmostphere of the classroom as oppossed to the highly competetive skippy race weekends. The MX5's arent quite as light as the school formula cars, but they are still quite nimble and really fun to drive in the corners. The ABS gave me the confindence I needed to push the car farther into the braking zone in 2. My lap times where about 10 seconds slower than what I was getting in my last Western reignon race back in January, but I still felt like my ability levels where a lot higher in the MX5.

Personally Im more interested in racing sports cars than open wheelers so thats why I jumped at the chance to drive the MX5. This weekend Im going back up to Laguna to watch the Grand Am races. The MX5 pro cup cars will be racing there so that should be an awesome show. Plus of course I'll be there to cheer on Mikel Miller, Tim Traver, and all the other Skippy racers competing in the Grand Am this weekend.
Old 05-25-2007
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

I had a chance to observe the MX5 school and the brilliantly prepped SB Miatas at Road America this week. The cars and school are top-flight, def looks like it's worth the $$$ to me....

Even without plans to run in Spec Miata I would consider taking the course..........THE CARS ARE AWESOME!!!!!

Bookmark This Thread