Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 07-21-2011
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

iRacing?

I'm looking for someone with experience in the SBRS open wheel cars in both iRacing (the simulation) and rRacing (the real thing)

I've been logging a lot of iRacing seat time as kind of homework or a summer reading list in preparation for my 2Day Adv school at LRP next week.

My questions are pretty basic: is this a good idea? If I develop reactions in iRacing, will they get me in trouble in rRacing? For all the support iRacing claims to have gotten from SBRS, why does it seem to be so hard to find someone to talk about it? Is i* so misleading that it isn't useful for classroom or homework?

In iRacing, the dominant feature of the FSB car is its visciousness on the skid pad in response to high speed (>100 mph) TTO. The transient starts well enough with a prompt yaw correction, but if allowed to proceed without correction (ok, the only sense this makes is that this is one of the most basic ways engineers characterize control systems) it'll snap spin that takes a second or so to develop. If I then try to catch it with steering only, the gaps left between too-much/too-little and too-early/too-late are so narrow I can rarely find a way through them.

On the one hand, this is familiar ground to me, matching the behavior of an assortment of evil-handling SR and FVs in my Triassic racing lives, but on the other, it doesn't match my experience so far in the FSB cars in school (the 3Day and the AdvCC clinic), where they've seemed to be fairly docile and forgiving.

So far, the experience on the simulator just reinforces what I think I know (be off the throttle at turn-in, when school curriculum demands TTO for yaw correction, never lift for more than a second, and never lift in the middle of the downhill at LRP) but how dangerous is all this?

TIA,
Fred
Old 07-21-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: iRacing?

Fred,
I don't know many SB racers who are doing a lot of iRacing. That's not a rap on iRacing... Just don't know many who are using it. That's probably why you're having trouble finding people to compare notes with.

Your assessment of the TTO characteristics are in the ballpark but I'd be careful about going into your school with preconceived notions about what you can and can't do. Let the car teach you where it's limits are rather than the simulator. It will be much less expensive.

To be good teaching tools the cars are challenging to drive fast. They are fairly docile until you get close to the limit and then the rear weight bias can catch up very quickly if you're not used to handling it. Approach and explore those limits in small bites and you'll be handsomely rewarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K View Post
I'm looking for someone with experience in the SBRS open wheel cars in both iRacing (the simulation) and rRacing (the real thing)

I've been logging a lot of iRacing seat time as kind of homework or a summer reading list in preparation for my 2Day Adv school at LRP next week.

My questions are pretty basic: is this a good idea? If I develop reactions in iRacing, will they get me in trouble in rRacing? For all the support iRacing claims to have gotten from SBRS, why does it seem to be so hard to find someone to talk about it? Is i* so misleading that it isn't useful for classroom or homework?

In iRacing, the dominant feature of the FSB car is its visciousness on the skid pad in response to high speed (>100 mph) TTO. The transient starts well enough with a prompt yaw correction, but if allowed to proceed without correction (ok, the only sense this makes is that this is one of the most basic ways engineers characterize control systems) it'll snap spin that takes a second or so to develop. If I then try to catch it with steering only, the gaps left between too-much/too-little and too-early/too-late are so narrow I can rarely find a way through them.

On the one hand, this is familiar ground to me, matching the behavior of an assortment of evil-handling SR and FVs in my Triassic racing lives, but on the other, it doesn't match my experience so far in the FSB cars in school (the 3Day and the AdvCC clinic), where they've seemed to be fairly docile and forgiving.

So far, the experience on the simulator just reinforces what I think I know (be off the throttle at turn-in, when school curriculum demands TTO for yaw correction, never lift for more than a second, and never lift in the middle of the downhill at LRP) but how dangerous is all this?

TIA,
Fred
Old 07-21-2011
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Fred,
I have done quite a bit of iRacing with the Skippy Formula car. The basics are all there in the sim. The real car will react to abrubt inputs (ie: quick throttle release in the downhill at LRP) just like the sim...DON'T do it. The major difference is quite simillar to what you have noticed. The sim is less stable than the real car, requiring more subtle inputs, but this will be good for you when you drive the real car as it will help you approach the limits of the actual car more carefully (and less expensively). The sim's greatest benefit is in helping you learn a new track before actually driving on it. Sebring's 17 turns for example would have been much more difficult to learn had I not practiced on iRacing before going. The second benefit I have found is actually learning the handling of the car. I know this may sound surprising given that they handle a little differently however the basic no-no's apply to both, TTO is induced the same way in both, entering turn 1 at LRP too fast will yield the same results in both, not having the front wheels straight at the top of the uphill can result in the same problems in the real car and the sim. The snap oversteer you described in the sim still exists in the real car however it is easier to modulate perhaps because you have the actual g-force inputs to help guide you. I think there is a real benefit to using the sim to learn the basic do's and dont's of car control in a much less expensive environment. Just remember to take small bites as you improve your laps in the real car and you will have a great time.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2011
That Guy at LRP's Uphill
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K View Post

TIA,
Fred
I'm nobody but the corner worker with no "in-anger" experience who "has to" (read: "enjoys the opportunity to") listen to the instructors all day every week, and you're right on the curriculum but for the no-throttle-at-turn-in; "floating" the car on entry without pedal inputs won't get the weight where you want it to be (nor as much of it as is available) for LRP's fast corners like the Uphill, West Bend and especially the Diving Turn - and you certainly won't want to be trail-braking into those. Simply, obviously, don't overdo your post-straightline-deceleration "maintenance" and "building" throttle, which should just coincide with the smooth (but rapid in the Downhill, or two-step in the Uphill with the compression) turn-in.

Unfortunately, the only time you'd get to experiment with TTO over 100mph at Lime Rock would be while you're coincidentally setting a new treaded tire track record, so maybe something to worry about at VIR's Esses instead

Bookmark This Thread