Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > F1, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Karting etc Discussions

Old 01-09-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Grand-Am Rolex report: AJ Almendinger, Andy Lally, Spencer Pumpelly and Todd Snyder

Allmendinger Runs Fastest DP Lap - In A Dallara;

Dalziel, Dixon Also Lead 'Roar' Testing Sessions At Daytona

TRG's Lally Fastest In GT In Second Of Three Days Of Preparation

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - (Jan. 8, 2011) - AJ Allmendinger has been racing the Rolex 24 At Daytona for Michael Shank Racing in a Riley since 2006, when he finished a career-best second. He will be racing a Dallara for the first time in the 49th running of the event on Jan. 29-30, and the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series regular is proving to be a quick study.
Allmendinger was fastest in Saturday's second day of "Roar Before the Rolex 24" testing at Daytona International Speedway, running the day's fastest lap of 127.318 mph in the No. 6 Curb Records DP he shares with Michael McDowell and Justin Wilson. He also beat Scott Pruett's fastest speed (126.848 mph) from Friday.
"Since I'm only running in the Rolex Series once a year, I didn't know if I would remember what the DP felt like," Allmendinger said. "But when I got in the Dallara, it definitely had a different feel. It slips through the air with good speed, but I don't know if we can drive it on the edge like this in a 24-hour race."
Allmendinger later backed up his speed by posting the fastest lap of night practice (123.713 mph).
"AJ's a rock star," car owner Michael Shank said. "I've been telling people that for years."
Also leading DP sessions were defending Rolex 24 winner Ryan Dalziel, who ran a lap of 127.168 mph in the No. 8 Starworks Motorsport BMW/Riley, and open-wheel star Scott Dixon, 127.263 mph in the No. 02 Target/TELMEX BMW/Riley.
Reigning five-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Jimmie Johnson practiced in the No. 99 GAINSCO Auto Insurance Chevrolet/Riley, joining two-time champions Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty for the fourth straight year. While Johnson finished second in the Rolex 24 on two occasions - most recently in 2008 - he hopes to join Mario Andretti and A.J. Foyt as the only drivers to win both the Rolex 24 and Daytona 500.
"That would be something special," Johnson said. "I love this team and I love this series."
In the production-based GT class, Andy Lally ran a lap of 150.303 mph to lead the morning session in the No. 67 TRG Porsche 911 GT3 Cup that co-driver Spencer Pumpelly drove to Friday's fastest speed (116.329 mph).Co-driver Wolf Henzler set the fastest lap in night practice (105.797 mph). Andrew Davis (116.025 mph in the No. 59 Brumos Porsche) and Dominic Farnbacher (115.879 mph in the No. 66 TRG Porsche) led the remaining sessions.
Sunday activities run from 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. All-access tickets are $15 - free to Rolex 24 ticket holders - with admission located at either of the speedway tunnels.
NOTES: Frenchman Pascal Gibon escaped injury when his No. 00 Aten Motorsports Ferrari F430 Challenge caught fire in the East Horseshoe. "The damage from the fire looks a lot worse than it is," said team principal Tony Dowe. "It appears we had an engine issue but the damage isn't catastrophic, if we had to be racing next weekend - we would be there." ... Todd Snyder led Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge testing, running 108.289 mph in the No. 21 SOS Mustang GT. ... Actor/racer Patrick Dempsey unveiled a bright yellow Visit Florida on his No. 40 Mazda RX-8. Dempsey is looking to make his fourth Rolex 24 start, co-driving with Joe Foster, Charles Espenlaub and Tom Long. ... ModSpace is stepping up its GRAND-AM involvement, sponsoring a pair of Mazdas for 2011. The company will back the No. 26 MAZDASPEED3 in Continental Tire Sport Car Challenge Street Tuner competition, and the No. 36 Yellow Dragon Motorsports Mazda RX-8 in the Rolex Series GT category. ... Grand Sport driver Steve Miller (No. 41 TRG Porsche 911) was taken to nearby Halifax Health Medical Center for evaluation following a hard crash in Turn 1, during an afternoon session for the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge. He was later released.
Old 01-09-2011
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: Grand-Am Rolex report: AJ Almendinger, Andy Lally, Spencer Pumpelly and Todd Snyd

Yeah sick news! I've been watching alot of update info to the subscribes i have on youtube! I'm gonna try to attempt to make it up to daytona for the race if i have timeee but we'll see... Def will be watching it on TV for sure!
Old 01-09-2011
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Thumbs up Re: Grand-Am Rolex report: AJ Almendinger, Andy Lally, Spencer Pumpelly and Todd Snyd

Thanks Pat! I was wondering how they've been doing. It's times like this I wish Spencer hadn't deleted his fb account.
Old 01-09-2011
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Thumbs up Re: Grand-Am Rolex report: AJ Almendinger, Andy Lally, Spencer Pumpelly and Todd Snyd

GO TODD!! VERY IMPRESSIVE.
Old 01-09-2011
Grand Master

Re: Grand-Am Rolex report: AJ Almendinger, Andy Lally, Spencer Pumpelly and Todd Snyd

First I've heard Jim Lowe is running a DP car?

Dalziel Unofficially Shatters Daytona DP Track Record

As Rolex Series Testing 'Roars' To A Close At Daytona

Keen Leads GT Session In Return Of Brumos Porsche

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Jan. 9, 2011) - Ryan Dalziel won the 2010 Rolex 24 At Daytona with Action Express Racing, and finished second with Peter Baron's operation in the 2007 event. Sunday, Dalziel served notice that Baron's Starworks Motorsport is a team to watch in the 49th running of the Rolex 24 later this month, unofficially breaking the Daytona International Speedway track record with a lap of 128.194 mph (1:39.973) in the No. 8 Corsa Car Care Ford/Riley.
Dalziel's fast lap came during the final hour of the final day in the "Roar Before the Rolex 24," a three-day test session for the 2011 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series season opener on Jan. 29-30.
"We are contenders, and we've proven that this weekend," said Dalziel. "We do the best we can with what we've got. I think we could have gone faster. I didn't put together a perfect lap, and we didn't have a qualifying setup on the car. We know we've got more."
Dalziel will co-drive with Mike Forest, Colin Braun, Tomas Enge and Jim Lowe in the Rolex 24.
"Having the fastest time in the test pretty exciting," said car owner Baron. "We've put in a lot of hard work since last fall, and Ryan's a phenomenal driver, and you can say enough about Bill Riley's engineering. Our car came off the trailer awesome, and got even better."
Defending Rolex Series Daytona Prototype champion Scott Pruett also bettered the track mark in the Sunday morning session in the No. 01 TELMEX BMW/Riley co-driven by Memo Rojas, Joey Hand and Graham Rahal, running a lap of 127.740 mph (1:40.329). David Donohue set the track record in 2009 with a lap of 1:40.540 in a Porsche/Riley.
"Running a fast time was not necessarily our intention," said Pruett, who won nine of 12 races last year en route to capturing his third DP title. "We are focused on going racing and getting to the checkered flag first."
The final day also produced the fastest speeds in the GT class. Leh Keen led the way with a lap of 116.649 mph (1:49.329) in the No. 59 Brumos Porsche 911 GT3 Cup.
"We tried a simulated qualifying run and I nailed a lap," said Keen, the 2009 GT champion. "Brumos really has its act together - they squeeze every bit of speed out of these Porsches."
Keen and regular co-driver Andrew Davis will be joined at the Rolex 24 by Hurley Haywood - the lone five-time winner of the event - and Porsche factory driver Marc Lieb.
Practice and qualifying for the Rolex 24 begins Thursday, Jan. 27. The race takes the green flag at 3:30 p.m. (ET) on Saturday, Jan. 29.
NOTES: Doug Peterson was unhurt when he hit the wall in the second infield horseshoe turn during Sunday morning's session, but the No. 7 Starworks Motorsport Ford/Riley was finished for the test with rear bodywork damage. ... Several of the teams left at noon on Sunday due to winter storm conditions at their connecting and destination airports. ... The Ganassi team left for a different reason - the team hosted Sunday evening's American Auto Racing Writers and Broadcasters Association banquet at its headquarters in Indianapolis.
Old 01-10-2011
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Thanks DD - good luck all!!

Hey Andor - this is another thing about racing in the SBRS - so many pro drivers cut their teeth in Skippy cars, you might be able to tell people "I raced with _____" (insert famous driver's name).

For example - "I was in some race groups at Tremblant with Allmendinger back in the day .... and I think I caught a glimpse of his car for a few seconds after the green flew....and he only lapped me once!"

If things really work out you might be racing with a future famous racer when they are still learning, and you can say "I BEAT _______ back in the day" (insert famous driver's name).
Old 01-10-2011
Grand Master

And then there's always the chance we'll be saying we used to race with that pro Andor back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
Thanks DD - good luck all!!

Hey Andor - this is another thing about racing in the SBRS - so many pro drivers cut their teeth in Skippy cars, you might be able to tell people "I raced with _____" (insert famous driver's name).

For example - "I was in some race groups at Tremblant with Allmendinger back in the day .... and I think I caught a glimpse of his car for a few seconds after the green flew....and he only lapped me once!"

If things really work out you might be racing with a future famous racer when they are still learning, and you can say "I BEAT _______ back in the day" (insert famous driver's name).

Bookmark This Thread