Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > F1, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Karting etc Discussions

Old 02-24-2008
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Indy / Champ Car Merger?

Thanks Harsha
Old 02-25-2008
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

They made the announcement, but it still doesn't look like anyone knows what's going on. Everyone looked like deer in the headlights on Wind Tunnel. This will be great for '10 when they get new chassis, but it looks like '08 and '09 will be a mess for all the Champ Car teams.

Very glad to hear that this is moving forward but think they could have done a better w/ the planning. I was hoping a little more would come to light w/ the announcement, but it looks like there are still many more unknowns. hopefully they'll figure things out quickly before this becomes a bigger mess then they can handle.
Old 02-25-2008
Almost a master
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
They made the announcement, but it still doesn't look like anyone knows what's going on. Everyone looked like deer in the headlights on Wind Tunnel. This will be great for '10 when they get new chassis, but it looks like '08 and '09 will be a mess for all the Champ Car teams.

Very glad to hear that this is moving forward but think they could have done a better w/ the planning. I was hoping a little more would come to light w/ the announcement, but it looks like there are still many more unknowns. hopefully they'll figure things out quickly before this becomes a bigger mess then they can handle.
The deal came together very late, and getting the deal done was first on everyone's agenda. Now that they have something solid, they are trying to sort out the details. The interview was a good idea, but also a bit premature it seems to me, since there is no way they would know the details of the season yet.

2008 and 2009 (with a big emphasis on 2008) will be a transition, but hopefully it will lead to success in later years.
Old 02-25-2008
Grand Master

Certainly could get worse before it gets better. Every time they asked T. George a question he'd do the politician thing and give an answer he wanted to give to a question never asked. They asked him about the schedule and he answered about the merger. Did it twice. He'll be the biggest problem going forward. No one has a clue yet and George seems more clueless than most but it's his sandbox now. We'll remain cautiously optomistic.
Old 02-25-2008
Skippy Girl

Gallery Images: 1

I'll be looking forward to the big press conference they were talking about. Any word on where or what time it will be broadcast on Wednesday?

- At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan
Old 02-26-2008
Big Dick
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyGirl View Post
I'll be looking forward to the big press conference they were talking about. Any word on where or what time it will be broadcast on Wednesday?
SPEED to televise open wheel merger press conference SPEED will interrupt regularly scheduled programming Wednesday afternoon at 12:30 p.m. ET to broadcast coverage of the scheduled IndyCar Series press conference from Homestead-Miami Speedway formally announcing the merger with the Champ Car World Series for 2008. SPEED’s Robin Miller will be on-site providing commentary and perspective.
Old 02-26-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Certainly could get worse before it gets better. Every time they asked T. George a question he'd do the politician thing and give an answer he wanted to give to a question never asked. They asked him about the schedule and he answered about the merger. Did it twice. He'll be the biggest problem going forward. No one has a clue yet and George seems more clueless than most but it's his sandbox now. We'll remain cautiously optomistic.
I don't see how this year could get any worse than if there were no merger. Certainly it will be tough on the Champ Car teams but everybody needs to keep their eye on the long term. It's five steps back to get onto the moving sidewalk that could take us generations into the future.

Tony George should have gone to NYU, he could really use a few classes on public speaking!
Old 02-26-2008
Grand Master

Champ Car and the Indy Racing League will be combined under the new moniker "Chimp Car" and Jackie Moon has been selected to both manage and run as a competitor in the series.

Sorry... Too easy not to kick it through the uprights.

Hope springs eternal... Like everyone else, would love to see the series surpass its former glory.
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChimpCar.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	2572   Click image for larger version

Name:	WillFerrell.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	2573  
Old 03-09-2008
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Thumbs down Re: Indy / Champ Car Merger?

In 1995 I attended the inaugural US 500 at MIS in Brooklyn, MI. This was the first season after the split and this race was to be the replacement or substitute for the Indy 500...

At the age of 10 I had already been watching CART for several years and was a very big fan! I had my favorite drivers and my least. I never missed a race. When I grew up I was gonna be a racecar driver. (I lost sight of that dream for a lil while due to a lack of support but that's another story...)

Now that the stage has been set I will get to my point. While at the race we saw a man wearing a custom silk screened t-shirt, its words were very clear and very simple: "Tony George is an ASSHOLE!"

I won't go into all the reasons I agree(ed) with the man then, or now, but there are many... This merger would be much easier for me to swallow if the IRL was closing up shop and everyone was coming home to Champcar. All I see is a couple more sell outs slinking over to the IRL and a few great tracks, their communities and any diehard Champcar fans as stubborn or more so as I, being let down...

call me stubborn, call me what you want, but that is my two cents

Bookmark This Thread