Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 03-27-2006
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Newbie saying Hello

Hello Everyone
I just signed up for the 2 day advanced school in June at LRP. I am very excited about it. I did a 3 day racing school last year at LRP(first time on a track proper) and got the bug bigtime. Had an amazing time and Bruce MacI and all the instructors were superb.

I just bought a sparco suit and some piloti racing shoes, no more old SB gear for me LOL! I just need my own helmet now and I am good to go. My plan this year is to do the 2 LRP(wish there were more LRP weekends!) race weekends in the novice Sportsman Group, in July and Oct. Cant wait to experience a real race with proper qualifying times etc!. Just wanted to share. For someone like myself who had never been to a track let alone driven a race car untill a 2 years ago this is a big deal Watch out sportsman group I am a coming..Hope to meet some of you in July at Lime Rock
Brian
Old 03-27-2006
All Heart, No Money
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: Newbie saying Hello

Hello BrianinCT,
Welcome to the fastest way to spend your tax return.
You sound pumped to get in the car and see that green flag.
Remember to keep that enthusiasm and just enjoy.
Your first race may be a humbling experience as was mine and I almost
didn't come back however some great folks in the skippy world had
other ideas for me. This is a great organization with allot of fantastic people, kind of like the mafia only nicer. Once your in there's no looking back. I may be on track with you at LRP in July. Untill then.
Good Luck, Go Fast, Have Fun.
Old 03-27-2006
Team Flying Randalls
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Welcome Brian,
From a fellow newbie to another - - your going to love the RT2000
The sequential shifter makes for some quick upshifts - - enjoy your 2 day school - - We just did our 3 day and 2 day at Daytona in Dec/Jan and are doing our first race at Sebring in a couple of weeks - -

Welcome to Team Juicy - this group is really friendly and informative - -best of luck to you - - oh, and remember, you have crash damage responsibility at the 2-day school - -
Old 03-27-2006
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

welcome brian. as someone who did their 1st race weekend at lrp too, you will enjoy it sort of. nah, i'm just kidding. you are going to love it so much that you will wish you never discovered it b/c it will bankrupt you. anyway,
good to hear you got a suit and shoes. what type of suit? 3 layer or 1 layer? you should also look into nomex underwear as that provides further protection against the heat a flame. also, being that you have already invested in a suit, and plan to buy a helmet, get a hans device. i believe they cost about $1100 and it is the best investment in safety you can make. hopefully, you will never get to experience the benefit of wearing a hans device, but if that day ever comes you will be thankful that you have one on. plus, it never hurts to wear one at lrp since it's so easy to hit something there. contact driving impressions at lrp or northstar motorsports or speedware motorsports or wine country motorsports. they should all be able to hook you up although this time of year is busiest in terms of people buying motorsport safety equipment as the seasons get going again.
Old 03-27-2006

grady

Thanks for the welcome. Hope to see you in July.

sz28r

Thanks for the welcome. Great to hear from another newbie. I hear you about the crash damage!! dont worry I perfected the 2 feet in technique already LOL!!

Aria

Thanks for the welcome. I bought a Sparco sprint 5 suit. Got it on sale for $329. I have being reading all the old posts and I am definately on baord for the Hans after reading some of the stories here. I appreciate hearing how seriously you guys take the safety issue, we all have to go to work Monday morning after all!!

Also thank you Gerardo for putting up those awesome vids of LRP races. I now know how it should be done. After studying my own Helix video and comparing it to yours I can see how late turing in I was on many of the LRP corners. I plan to fix that next time.
Old 03-28-2006
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

Brian, welcome to Skippy and to TJR. All I can say to you is.. "hang on tight, it's going to be a fun ride!" And addictive, too... I distinctly remember Ari telling me just before he decided to do his first race weekend "Yeah, I'm just going to do this one race. That's it." RIGHT!! Next thing you know... HOOKED. But there's nothing better to be hooked on.

And if possible, give those Piloti shoes back. WAAAY too thick and big for a skippy car. Try and get yourself a pair of Sparco X-Light's or similar.

http://www.sparcousa.com/pracewear_shoes.asp?id=16

I look forward to seeing you at LRP. If you need anything at all, please let us know!
Old 03-28-2006
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

howdy Brian,

Def get a HANS.

Sy's right on the shoes, hugely important.

See ya at LRP, you're gonna love racing, everyone is right, very addicting
Attached Images

Last edited by cdh; 03-28-2006 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-28-2006
Team Flying Randalls
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

I agree 110% on getting a hans device - - we got ours and used it, as well as arm restraints, at our 2-day - - figured it was better to get used to them then instead of a race weekend - - get yourself the best helmet money can buy too - - don't be cheap when it comes to safety equipment, I bought an Arai helmet and love it.

Steve
Old 03-28-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Brian,

Welcome to the Skippy Adventure. You will have a blast doing this and will make many new friends who will go out of their way to help you with anything. The Skippy Racing Clan is a very fun bunch and you will quickly realize that the racing is almost secondary. Almost!

My 2 cents:

1. Get a HANS. You might not think you "need" it but they are really tough to get installed correctly the moment before impact.

2. Don't lift at West Bend! An oldie but a goodie. Take it from a slow learner...

Good luck in your 2 Day and see you at Lime Rock for your first race weekend!!!
Old 03-28-2006
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

if I remember correctly, Driving Impressions is renting HANS devices. you might want to look into that if your plan is to do just 2 races. at $1100, it is a big investment (though I agree you should wear one). if you rent, perhaps you could invest that money in something else of importance.

p.s. there are several old threads about what equipment you need, how to care for it, and how to travel with it. very useful stuff.

when we aren't busting each other's cojones, we try to be helpful! welcome to racing!!
Old 03-28-2006

Sy

Thanks for the warm welcome. Look forward to meeting you at LRP in July.

Cdh

Thanks for the welcome. See you in July!

Jcraige

Thanks for the welcome. No lifting, no snapping off the pedal..I have found out what a bad idea it is to lift off the pedal in these cars at my 3 day school!

Look forward to meeting you.

MJAmok

Thanks for the welcome and letting me know about the HANS for rent at DI, might not be a bad option for me.
Old 03-28-2006

You will have the time of your life Brian. I just finished my first race week in Vegas and everyone, (and I mean that) was terrific.
Something I would suggest, is get a mentor for your weekend. There are so many expierienced drivers and just flat out good people in this group. It will make a difference...Trust me!
JR
Old 03-28-2006
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianinCT
Thanks for the welcome and letting me know about the HANS for rent at DI, might not be a bad option for me.
I just spoke to Bob Zecca of Driving Impessions, and he confirmed that they are NOT renting out HANS devices. But he will give you a damn good deal on one if you want to buy one.
Old 03-28-2006

Gallery Images: 2

thanks sy for reminding me of my dumb statement.
Old 03-28-2006
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by arig
thanks sy for reminding me of my dumb statement.
Why was it dumb? Every one of us said the same thing. Ok, maybe we're all dumb then!
Old 03-28-2006
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude
I just spoke to Bob Zecca of Driving Impessions, and he confirmed that they are NOT renting out HANS devices.
That sucks. In the HANS thread he said he had two for rent and was ordering more. I guess it didn't work out. Would have been good for new guys.
Old 03-29-2006
Fund Raiser Racer

Liability Liability liability

$ MONSTRA MIHI PECUNIAM $
Old 06-09-2006

Just did the 2 day advanced which was interesting to say the least. It poured rain all day Wed..bummer....but I did get to know the LRP wet line very well by the end of the day LOL!. Thur was damp but dry enough for the dry line most of the day. The SB instructors made sure we spent most of our time on the track which was greatly appreciated by all as Wed was such a washout. Great feedback from Rob, Stephan W., Murph all under the watchfull eye of Bruce MacI who is always willing to give good constructive feedback.

A couple of guys hit a few tirewalls and did minor damage to the cars. One guy lost the rear on the crest of the uphill and rotated into the Armco but only damaged his ego luckily.

Had a blast, hope to do my first Race Series at LRP in July. Watchout sportsman group here I come
Old 06-09-2006
WillowCross Racing
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgersid
Liability Liability liability
Sid,
You got your "L's" wrong.
It's Lawyers, lawyers, lawyers.
Old 06-09-2006
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Just did my first race weekend at WG. Will be at LRP in July. Looking forward to seeing you there. Good luck and welcome.
Old 06-09-2006
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Let me add my welcome Brian. You've been taught by the best and you'll have a ball at LRP in July. Many great folk at Skippy and TJR.

Perhaps I'm your bruised ego guy.

A somewhat more comprehensive description of the event is available here: http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...1666#post11666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianinCT
One guy lost the rear on the crest of the uphill and rotated into the Armco but only damaged his ego luckily.
Old 06-10-2006

Hi Pat

No, this was someone in my 2 day advanced school who had a small incident on the uphill. Car and driver were fine.

Glad you were ok after your big one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
Let me add my welcome Brian. You've been taught by the best and you'll have a ball at LRP in July. Many great folk at Skippy and TJR.

Perhaps I'm your bruised ego guy.

A somewhat more comprehensive description of the event is available here: http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...1666#post11666

Bookmark This Thread