Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 02-13-2010
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Question What's happening at Sebring?

Need reports, cold in CT, cold in FL? Wish I was there
Old 02-13-2010
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: What's happening at Sebring?

yeah what's the update for sebring!? Heard a nice cold front came in this weekend in florida and that it was in the mid 30's. I'll take 30's any day being here in PA snowed in!!!
Old 02-13-2010
Burger Flipper #2

Gallery Images: 4

Yes it is cold... and lot's of rain yesterday caused us to stop early. PLC Duke Sanford pulled one out of his hat and got in a thirteen session day today and got us back on schedule for tomorrow.
Races have been good, especially G2 MX5 race today, 5 car train all race with Brian Freiberg taking the checker.
Stay tuned...
Old 02-14-2010
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Posted:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=504958
Old 02-14-2010
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Looks like big fun as the first race shows many of the usual suspects in hot racing form on this frigid February Sebring weekend.

G1 – Scott Anderson had a 10 second walk away as Dr. Mike took a solid P2 8 seconds over Harsha in P3 with Jay Fuchs and Jim Norman bringing in P4 & 5. Nice work by the masters and grand masters here.

G2 – As Rob pointed out in G2 you could throw a blanket over MX-5 P1 thru 5 with .835 seconds separating P1 – 4 and P5 1.35 seconds back from the leader. Congrats to Brian, James, the two Tyler’s and Michael for putting on a great show.

G3 – The kids came back and expressed themselves appropriately in G3 as Ashley Freiberg walked away with an almost 8 second gap over Dennis Trebbing in P2 with Trent Hindman getting the last step on the podium. Paul Fisk took 4th, soon to be Star Mazda driver Dom Bastien took 5th, Dr. Mike was 6th and Jim Norman had an MDNF

G4 – Back to MX-5 Tyler Cooke took the gold, Mathew Di Leo the silver and Evan O’Connor the bronze before the Flying Randalls returned to take P4 thru 7. DJ, Steve, Brad and Rodney Randall battled over family bragging rights as Marc Bastien took 8th.

G5 – A tune up for soon to be Nationals Spencer Pigot and Kevin Tittle. These two clearly worked the draft and walked away from the field. Spencer beat Kevin by less than half a second while Jim Norman was P3 12 seconds back. Dom Bastien got P4 Brian Cook P5 Bill Shields P6 and Jim Booth P7 after a penalty for failing to pit. Good to see Jim Booth back in a car.

Good luck in R2 guys and girls.
Old 02-14-2010

dam sounds like some sick races.... the G2 must of been intense! in for sunday updates!
Old 02-14-2010
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

The Frieberg family had a banner weekeknd with both Brian and Ashley scoring double wins, Brian in MX-5 and Ashley in Formula. Brian had to survive one of the toughest MX-5 battles we've had in a while, with five to six cars all together trading places for the lead from start to finish. Both races were decided in the final corner. Ashley fought her closest championship rival Dennis Trebbing even more closely in today's heavily contested Group 3 race. That one was also decided in the last corner when Dennis' deep brake in Turn 17 left him wide in the marbles as Ashley held her line to go on to win.

Indeed, Scott Andersen is a fast newcomer to the series and planning to run the National series this year. Harsha Sen was right behind him in today's Group 1 race. Harsha did an awesome job battling Mike Edwards and Luigi Biangardi, each of which had 2nd place at one point.

Spencer Pigot was also tuning up for the National series, putting in his best performances when it really counted in the races. What the results sheets do not show is Spencer elected to start last in both of his races. In Saturday's race it took him until the last lap to take the lead, while today he showed his understanding of Sebring traffic even more expertly to find the lead by the third lap. Kevin Tittle used the opportunity to race Spencer to learn Sebring in a way he has never driven before, putting in one of his most satisfying 2nd place runs.

The Joe Stimola Memorial race was another barnburner. I started at the back alongside John Edwards, Ashley Freiberg, and Spencer Pigot. I had just wrapped up a debrief session before the race and got in the car literally just as the pace lap was to begin. What fun! Spencer had a phenomenal start, finding a hole that closed before I could get into it. John Edwards then stuffed me into Turn 5 allowing Trent Hindman to get a run and demote me another spot into the Hairpin. I can't believe I let all that happen! LOL!! My start was completely trashed and I would be playing spectator from 400 yards back watching Ashely Freiberg, John Edwards, and Spencer Pigot have a battle royal. Dr. Mike Edwards instead gave me a tough mission to get into P4, holding me on tight lines into Turn 17 that Louis Dibrell would be proud of. The guy would not budge, our wheels were about two inches apart... it was awesome. I won't be so careful next time. Thanks to Harsha for loaning me his seat insert and to the mechanics for giving us fun cars to race. My car had no issues except for the nut behind the wheel.

I can't wait to see how the Ashely / Dennis battle continues in the Southern Series, and see how they all match up together in the National Series starting in a few weeks at Homestead. Pigot vs Freiberg vs Trebbing vs another 15 or so drivers will be great fun to watch, and even more fun to race with.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 02-15-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

When is a Florida vacation NOT a Florida vacation? When you climb out of your rental car in a scarf, winter coat, and gloves. Yes, dear readers, 35 degrees Fahrenheit at night. Didn't need to leave the Midwest, only difference was no white stuff (and we very nearly got that). Fortunately, most days got at least into the 50's, and Sunday turned out to be a beautiful day, mid 60's, the best racing conditions of the weekend. But being in Group 1, I never got to experience that, with air temp in the mid 40's by race time.

The conditions made this a very challenging weekend for me, having to adjust to constantly changing track conditions while trying to get used to being in the car again after 4 months away. The rain came halfway through our second Practice Friday, with sprinkles turning into drizzle, then the last 2 laps under a steadily increasing downpour. Heavy rain that afternoon and evening meant that the last 2 1/2 sessions got nixed. Saturday morning the track was cold and green for qualifying, and with no rubber on the road my car went from being beautifully balanced to pushing like the proverbial pig with absolutely no front end bite into 10, 15, and 16. I would downshift, turn in, and my apex-speed-maximizing-well-practiced-Sebring-early-brake-release-and-throttle-application would result in the car nonchalantly crossing the street like a small time crook avoiding the cop on the neighborhood beat, and the apex would just float by over there. Happened once too often at Turn 10 (yes, I am a slow learner) and my little cross track excursion resulted in a brief visit to that little park area across from the corner worker stand, just barely off the sidewalk, but you know how they are about off-roading in the genteel South, they told me I had to go to the back. So my Saturday race started with me in DFL jockeying around trying to jump the start. As with all carefully thought-out plans, the leaders took off as soon as the pace car was away and I jumped exactly zero cars. But thankfully, the wide and welcoming entry to Turn 1 allowed me to dive inside FOUR cars at turn-in, and at least drive into Turn 3 with a little self respect. Ended up in P3 after a great battle with Luigi Biangardi but because of us fighting it out allowed Dr Mike to get away. I resolved to amend that Sunday and after some exciting racing with Luigi and Dr Mike managed to get ahead in the last lap and score a P2. So not a bad weekend hardware wise.

Kevin Tittle worked up gradually all week to display the smoothest driving I have ever seen from him in the races. Clearly Spencer is an extremely talented driver, to be able to win both races from the back (his choice), but Kevin held him off until the very last lap on Saturday and on Sunday matched him for several laps until Spencer's raw pace and mistake free driving allowed him to pull away. But kudos to Kevin for taking a huge step this weekend and putting us on notice that more is on the way. When he and Spencer were together they looked like mirror images of each other, completely locked in step. It was beautiful to watch.

PAUL FISK IS IN DA HOUSE, Y'ALL! The man has obviously figured out how to maximize his seat time and maximize his preparation away from the track, because this weekend he raised his game massively and by Sunday was running 2:29s, despite how little seat time he can work in through the year. He finished the weekend with a great run in the Memorial and you could see how psyched he was getting out of the car. Yes sir, the GriffDogRacer now officially has the needle fully inserted and I am waiting anxiously to see what discretionary activities get sacrificed on the altar of the racing budget.

There was a ton of raw speed on display in the persons of Spencer Pigot, Ashley Freiberg, Dennis Trebing, Kevin T, and Scott Anderson (from the West Coast), and while all the races were entertaining, the Memorial was especially so as Peter Dannan Jr and Bobo joined the fray. PDJ showed savvy earned during his Atlantic Championship to match his speed as he worked his way up from the back and gave a clinic in "How to Lead the Only Lap that Counts," positioning himself perfectly on the last lap to lead out of only one corner-- the last--over a tight pack of very talented drivers. It was an awesome race to watch and a lesson in thinking laps ahead of one's competitors.

Great to see all the old friends at SB, and the Florida branch of our addict population. Missed all you guys who stayed home. Sad to leave Sebring but man, what a relief to get out of the Florida winter!
Old 02-15-2010
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Thanks all, esp Harsha for that report, very nicely written and some nice driving there bro. Sounds like fantastic racing by many, Keith was singing everyone's praises for good driving, being on time and ready to go, etc. Aw right grifdog, glad to hear you were in the mix. Memorial sounds like a classic, sorry I couldn't be there but these reports really help, thanks again
Old 02-16-2010

good updates. enjoyed reading them and seeing how everything turned up. Can't wait to get into the scene myself
Old 02-17-2010
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
PAUL FISK IS IN DA HOUSE, Y'ALL! The man has obviously figured out how to maximize his seat time and maximize his preparation away from the track, because this weekend he raised his game massively and by Sunday was running 2:29s, despite how little seat time he can work in through the year. He finished the weekend with a great run in the Memorial and you could see how psyched he was getting out of the car. Yes sir, the GriffDogRacer now officially has the needle fully inserted and I am waiting anxiously to see what discretionary activities get sacrificed on the altar of the racing budget.
Harsha, Thank you very much for the kind words. You are spot on... the needle chill has yet to subside; there will be casualties!

This was, in fact, the most rewarding race weekend for me yet. The lap times came down for sure, but that being a consequence of a well thought out plan and the belief that I could improve was the real reward. I logged on to update the "Maximizing Seat Time" thread that I started a while back and will do that directly. But, I would like to thank Harsha for being a great fan, my defacto mentor and spiritual advisor! Thanks to Rob Slonaker, as usual, for being the "voice of reason" as well as for helping me see how to get the most out of each session. And thanks to Gerardo for the advanced video conference that helped me get my mind right and hit the track ready to go.

G3R1 was a blast, as was the Joe Stimola Memorial. In both cases, I drove my race and made steady progress, ending with the maximum result. In the latter case, Keith Watts obviously saw that I needed a little less pressure in T3 and perhaps a boost of confidence after G3R2. After finishing P4 in R1, I had a great start to G3R2. After a well positioned T1, I overcooked the entry to T3, managed a ill-fated turn-in, gritted my teeth and stabbed the throttle trying to hold position. Ummm, that didn't work so good (As Terry would say, don't add energy to a bad situation!). My condolences to Trent Hindman for ending his race on lap 1 by presenting him an unavoidable target; I continued my lapping session after a safety check and pit penalty... Trent, being mature well beyond his years, reconciled the incident that left him in pit lane to "racing" and showed no signs of anger or frustration. I was impressed, to say the least. He has a fan for life.
Old 02-17-2010
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Sorry to hear you didn't have any fun, learn anything or get any better...

Great report Paul and congrats on what sounds like a terrific weekend. Hats off to Trent for his good sportsmanship and to you for acknowledging Trent. Doesn't sound like you wasted a second all week. What's next for you?
Old 02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Sorry to hear you didn't have any fun, learn anything or get any better...

Great report Paul and congrats on what sounds like a terrific weekend. Hats off to Trent for his good sportsmanship and to you for acknowledging Trent. Doesn't sound like you wasted a second all week. What's next for you?
Thanks Pat. I'm not sure what's next. My, ummm, sponsor has asked me to fill a different role in the organization and that will likely tax my free time for at least the remainder of this season. There's some hope I may be able to catch a Summer series event, with Road Atlanta being the highest probability due to proximity. I'm keeping an open mind to other possibilities, though.
Old 02-18-2010
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Hi Paul!
Thanks so much for your kind words about Trent. The most important thing is that neither one of you was hurt. I'm glad to hear that Trent acts mature even when his mom isn't there because sometimes at home he can really be a little biatch! Even though Trent was bummed, I think he realizes that it's all part of racing...
Best wishes to you for a safe, successful season. Up until now, Trent only had 2 fans - me & his dad. So it is with great pleasure that we welcome you to the unofficial Trent Hindman Fan Club!
Old 02-18-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Hindman View Post
Up until now, Trent only had 2 fans - me & his dad.
Not true. I was very impressed not only by his driving last summer, but also by how he handled some adversity and disappointments when some of the other junior drivers were doing better. You and Dad should keep doing whatever it is that you are doing in raising him. He is a great kid.
Old 02-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Hindman View Post
Hi Paul!
Thanks so much for your kind words about Trent. The most important thing is that neither one of you was hurt. I'm glad to hear that Trent acts mature even when his mom isn't there because sometimes at home he can really be a little biatch! Even though Trent was bummed, I think he realizes that it's all part of racing...
Best wishes to you for a safe, successful season. Up until now, Trent only had 2 fans - me & his dad. So it is with great pleasure that we welcome you to the unofficial Trent Hindman Fan Club!
I know much less about the sport and the profession of race driving then I do about being a fan. I'm a racing fan through and through. And, without fail, I choose to follow those drivers that are positive, real, and recognize the blessing of being able to do what they love for a living. I suspect others are the same. I hope the best for Trent because he seems to have many of those qualities (and his rainbow kicks are so cool ); that is undoubtedly a result of his parental influences. I echo Ted's comments above. Keep doing whatever you're doing, Kim. Thanks for the feedback and thanks for the post! See you at the track...
Old 02-19-2010

I've seen many kids come and go. I really like this one, he's quick, he's respectful, and he's got his head screwed on right. He has a bright future and I can only hope it turns out well for him. It's a tough sport and we can only hope that real talent like this gets a few breaks and gets to continue. I was really impressed with the way he raced, and the way he handled the adversity. Great job by emerging great talent.
Old 02-20-2010
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Thank you, one and all, for your extremely kind words about Trent. It makes his dad and I very, very proud to know that he is handling himself with class. (which is not something he inherited from us...) It seems like the more time he spends with all of you Skippy folks, the more mature he is becoming. Being a part of Skip Barber racing has been a wonderful experience for Trent so far.
Since you guys seem to like him more than I do sometimes, he is available for rent - very cheap! After you spend a week or so with him, you'll realize he's just another dorky kid...
All kidding aside, we are very blessed to have a son like Trent. Thank you all again for treating him so kindly!

Bookmark This Thread