Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 01-16-2013
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

IndyCar Academy

The finalists list is now public:

Skip Barber Racing School INDYCAR Academy Is Set

And more about the finalists here:

Skip Barber Racing School INDYCAR Academy Field

Congratulations to all 33 finalists...
Old 01-17-2013
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: IndyCar Academy

Thanks Alan,

Congrats again and good luck. Do us proud in the grand masters category OK?
Old 01-17-2013

I'll certainly be giving it all I've got...

...but it did come as a shock when I realized I was the oldest in the field by a full decade.
Old 01-17-2013
Grand Master

Welcome to my world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
I'll certainly be giving it all I've got...

...but it did come as a shock when I realized I was the oldest in the field by a full decade.
Old 01-17-2013

Thank you. Thanks very much...

Old 01-18-2013
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Yeah, great job. The field looks pretty strong, they'll get a real racer out of there. There's a couple of GT Academy guys, and a couple of young guns. Had I known, I wouldn't have played it so safe.

Thus is life... I made that intro video they asked candidates to make, and I'll be damned if I let it go to waste. So please enjoy, its a hell of a lot shorter than my first one...

Old 01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr427 View Post
Yeah, great job. The field looks pretty strong, they'll get a real racer out of there. There's a couple of GT Academy guys, and a couple of young guns. Had I known, I wouldn't have played it so safe.
Have you checked out Andre Gomes's video on YouTube? I think his fastest lap is about 4 seconds faster than my best efforts at the same 2-day...

That is going to be hard to match.

Quote:
Thus is life... I made that intro video they asked candidates to make, and I'll be damned if I let it go to waste. So please enjoy, its a hell of a lot shorter than my first one...

Saw that... ...great fun!
Old 01-21-2013
IndyCar Academy
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 193

Woohoo! I made it! See you gents there!
Old 01-21-2013
Grand Master

All smiles David... Congrats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Old 01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Congratulations!

Now the fun really begins.
Old 01-21-2013

David and I were in the same run group at Laguna in December, it was a great group, and I think we had a great time. Everyone was at least a couple of seconds faster than I was, but I got to see some great driving close up.

In the afternoon lapping/lead/follow session, we got kind of bunched up, to the horror, they claimed, of the instructors, and got a lot of wheel to wheel experience. Here's a vid segment of the session.

Helix no longer gives you a video file but posts them in their entirety on Youtube, so you have to edit this yourself. Maybe some day, I'll figure out how to capture Youtube videos, but now's not that time.

FF to about 7:30. The bunch was a little slower than anyone in it, so I could at least keep them in sight. At about 8:30, the instructor passed me on the approach to the Corkscrew, giving me the 'follow me' Mohawk chop. That evidently inspired me enough to keep up through 9 (in spite of that giant, get into your head, washout just beyond trackout) and 10. Then into 11, when he pulls out to pass, I figure well, he did tell me to follow, so I follow. Then we're two wide and 2 deep, and I thought, "Wow, this really IS an advanced school!" I don't know who it was on the right, but I think we both knew I was going to end up parked at the apex so I didn't compound the stupidity, gave him the lane and let him go.

After that, it got pretty lonely.

I'm so psyched that David's going to Sebring, I wish I could go to watch.

Best,
Fred
Old 01-21-2013

You definitely found your form while following, Fred. Now the trick is just to imagine that instructor car out there when he's not.

Old 01-23-2013
IndyCar Academy

Gallery Images: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K View Post
David and I were in the same run group at Laguna in December, it was a great group, and I think we had a great time. Everyone was at least a couple of seconds faster than I was, but I got to see some great driving close up.

In the afternoon lapping/lead/follow session, we got kind of bunched up, to the horror, they claimed, of the instructors, and got a lot of wheel to wheel experience. Here's a vid segment of the session.

Helix no longer gives you a video file but posts them in their entirety on Youtube, so you have to edit this yourself. Maybe some day, I'll figure out how to capture Youtube videos, but now's not that time.

FF to about 7:30. The bunch was a little slower than anyone in it, so I could at least keep them in sight. At about 8:30, the instructor passed me on the approach to the Corkscrew, giving me the 'follow me' Mohawk chop. That evidently inspired me enough to keep up through 9 (in spite of that giant, get into your head, washout just beyond trackout) and 10. Then into 11, when he pulls out to pass, I figure well, he did tell me to follow, so I follow. Then we're two wide and 2 deep, and I thought, "Wow, this really IS an advanced school!" I don't know who it was on the right, but I think we both knew I was going to end up parked at the apex so I didn't compound the stupidity, gave him the lane and let him go.

After that, it got pretty lonely.

I'm so psyched that David's going to Sebring, I wish I could go to watch.

Best,
Fred
FRED! Great meeting you at the 2 day. I agree...I think all of us had a great time. I mean...what's not to love about that place. Gorgeous weather, a race track, and cars that we get to drive! To any car guy it really is a place in the sun.

I know Aaron G. will also be in attendance! He was at both my 3 day AND with Fred and me at the 2 day.

I'm really looking forward to putting faces to all these names. It's shaping up to be an amazing experience.

Fred, check your personal messages...going to send you a way to save that video of yours.
Old 01-28-2013

Gomez is an absolute machine behind the wheel! When he'd come up behind me I felt like I was standing still, really impressive driving. I wish I had seen that video before I went out there for the Indy Car Academy, I kept shying away from the curbing, that must have cost me atleast a second overall. . That being said it was an awesome time! I went back and took a look at my video from when I first started out in a formula car, I beat my old fast lap by 2 seconds, progress!
Old 01-28-2013
Grand Master

Heard a very positive report from Gerardo that things ran smoothly and much learning took place.

Bravo to Gerardo, the instructors and all participants.

Would love to see more reports and video's revealing the arc of your collective experience.

Feel free to reach out to other participants and invite them to join us here. :-)

Last edited by dalyduo; 01-28-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2013
somewhere out there

I thought in addition to no pro-racing or karting experience, you couldn't have done any other 'shootouts'. Am I correct in thinking there were some Playstation/Nissan GT contestants entered?
Old 02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossfeld View Post
I thought in addition to no pro-racing or karting experience, you couldn't have done any other 'shootouts'. Am I correct in thinking there were some Playstation/Nissan GT contestants entered?
That's a change they implemented for the next ICA. It wasn't in the rules the first time.

Old 02-02-2013
somewhere out there

Is the idea behind this to find the best guy(or gal) or the most talented or the most deserving? Because I feel like they should take someone having ridiculous levels of iRacing experience into account. And given everyone has to use their own name and you can look up their records, it'd be easy to tell.
Old 02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossfeld View Post
Is the idea behind this to find the best guy(or gal) or the most talented or the most deserving? Because I feel like they should take someone having ridiculous levels of iRacing experience into account. And given everyone has to use their own name and you can look up their records, it'd be easy to tell.
You can't change the rules in the middle of a game, Ross.

They didn't think of it, so it was all legal.

Old 02-03-2013
somewhere out there

I'm not questioning the results, just the structure.
Old 02-03-2013
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Really interesting they changed the rules for next year. It sucks for the other GTA guys that were going to try it. Anyways, you think they should have taken my iRacing experience into account? Half the field did iRacing. Or are you saying it's just the fact that I was quick in iRacing? That makes no sense at all. This guy is quick in the sim, lets punish him for being fast in the real car too. ???

Also, GTA didn't make me a faster driver, it made me a better person. In fact I broke the track record in the Silverstone single seaters. It had no effect on this shootout. I can see why it doesn't look good when GTA guys are at the top though. It's understandable.

I'm suprer excited to have won and given the opportunity to do the summer series. It's going to be extremely fun. I'm going to do my best and see what comes afterwards, but I am realistic about how It might all end at the end of the series. That's ok though, it's already a whole championship I wouldn't have been able to participate in without the shootout. Couldn't be happier.
Old 02-03-2013
somewhere out there

I'm not suggesting punishing people or even singling out any drivers.
Old 02-05-2013

I agree with Andre. How would iRacing experience be taken into account? As a positive or a negative? I really don't know. Don't get it.

Many people can afford iRacing. Not many people can afford a full season of the skip barber series, an entry level pro series, or a competitive effort in national level race karting (particularly under the age of 25, the upper limit for the karting shootout). In my opinion, these are exactly the people that the ICA is for.

Clearly, Andre beats my times in iRacing and in real life. He didn't beat me because he did some TV show in england. I'm not that stupid. Of course any experience helps but it's a small factor at best. If he beat me because he put more time in on the simulator, then good for him... (although I don't really think that's the case)

Just my opinion and of course anyone is free to disagree. I'm just happy for the opportunity to have participated in such an awesome event.
Old 02-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
You can't change the rules in the middle of a game, Ross.
Oh, but they did in a couple of other aspects... It was their first year with this thing, so I'll throw them a bone.

I've been avoiding the results, but it sounds like Andre won? Good for him, he was smoking on GT Academy. I can understand why they stayed away from him, too, they wanted a pretty good likelihood that they'd get their car back in one piece. (Not that he was guaranteed to ball it up, but they were playing the odds.) They played it safe again this year I think, took a guy with lots of on-track experience (gamers to racers... ha!).

Welcome Andre, don't be a stranger. Thanks for representing New England!
Old 02-06-2013

Thank you Michael. By the way, really nice write up. I will comment on it, it's really lonely right now and I wish people gave it more attention because it was very nice to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr427 View Post
Oh, but they did in a couple of other aspects... It was their first year with this thing, so I'll throw them a bone.

I've been avoiding the results, but it sounds like Andre won? Good for him, he was smoking on GT Academy. I can understand why they stayed away from him, too, they wanted a pretty good likelihood that they'd get their car back in one piece. (Not that he was guaranteed to ball it up, but they were playing the odds.) They played it safe again this year I think, took a guy with lots of on-track experience (gamers to racers... ha!).

Welcome Andre, don't be a stranger. Thanks for representing New England!
"they wanted a pretty good likelihood that they'd get their car back in one piece"
...? No. that is not why they got rid of me.

"They played it safe again this year I think"
They hardly chose the winner.

Don't be shy, you can actually ask us how the shootout took place. It's ok, we are here for you.

Bookmark This Thread