Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 01-25-2012
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Question Describe your first time in a race car.

Hey Guys,

This is Debbie (the 'other' Marketing chick). I know you are all super busy, but I wanted to ask a question since I'm in the process of producing new creative for SBRS -- Describe your first time in a race car (what was the emotion, what were you thinking, etc)? I know I am still new, but one thing I know since coming into SBRS -- Motorsports is all about passion and I want to be able to help articulate that passion.

I can't wait to see your responses. And, I'll share the creative once I'm done.

Thanks in advance.

-Deb
Old 01-25-2012
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Re: Describe your first time in a race car.

Hi Deb

I searched a little and found these old threads, may be of use. Ashlei's is very good...

Ashlei
http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...read.php?t=515

Randal
http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=1271

Roscoe
http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=1784

GriffDog
http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=2666

Andor
http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=7825

General posts on first race advice
www.teamjuicyracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781

Kasey
http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...read.php?t=862

DD, where is yours?

I'm sure there are others, but this is all I had time to search for. If I feel so inspired I might do a fresh write-up on my first race. Might be interesting looking back on it now after being involved with SB for 12 years....where does it go?

CDH

Old 01-25-2012
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Cdh,

Oh man, thanks for all this! I got chills as I read these. This is exactly what I was looking for. And, to answer your question about where it goes, I would like to incorporate the emotion of these in future copy,ads, etc., but no definitive plans on where yet. I'll def. keep you guys in the loop.

-Deb
Old 01-25-2012
administrationistperson

Searching works

My question? I was wondering where the time goes, seems like my 3 Day was yesterday.
Old 01-25-2012
administrationistperson

Also....my mistake, I was searching for first race stories. Not sure what's here on first time in race car, a tougher search for sure.

Found this - most dorky moment thread...and it was my first time in a race car
Old 01-25-2012
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Boy, there used to be a write up on SBRS on one of the Wisconsin/Sheboygen/etc tourism board web pages. Maybe 5 years ago or so. It had been done by a young woman who did the formula car intro course at RA. Called "Fast Woman" or such. It was really good. I can't find it on Google, I'll have to see if I still have the link at home.
Old 01-25-2012
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

This is such a great thread.

I really have wanted to post about my first time, first race and first race win.

I still vividly remember my first time in a sb race car.
I was like, omg, I cannot fit into this thing.
I was so under prepared.

Grant Ryley, was the first to take me under his wing. I can say without a doubt, if it wasnt for him, I wouldnt be in a sb car today.

First time in a car:
I got in the car and immediately started feeling so cramped and claustrophobic, wondering WHY had I signed up to be tortured like this. I was thinking.. what a mistake! Get me out of here!!

And...
Then I got to go out on the auto cross. I was slow but i loved the feed back the car gave me. I had done many many laps in my Porsches, but this sb car was so much more responsive. I was really surprised at how great the brakes were. esp compared to my 10k pccbs on my gt3.

Grant comes up to me in between turns and tells me to go for it and gives me a nudge that I need to try harder.
I go out for my 2nd pass on the autocross and spin, badly. I took out 20 cones at least. as I was sitting there, defeated, Grant comes running up to me. I expect him to yell at me because I had created work for him to fix the cones and I was stunned to hear him say, GREG GREAT JOB !!! DO it again but dont spin!!
I went out for my 3rd try and I nailed the autocross section i had just spun in.
It was at this very moment that I became an addict. I love that I had instant feedback and went out and improved right away. It was exhilarating.

There were many others who went out of there way to help me and that was great. Rene Villeneuve, Mikel Miller, Tommy Fogarty and many others were just great in helping me in that first experience.

Greg
Old 01-26-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Never driven a racecar... yet
But I remember my first time in a racing gokart like it was yesterday though...
All the exitement before finally getting into a fast gokart... I don't think I blinked even once on the way to the track, thinking of the 4 gokarts in the trailer just behind me...
Seat was tight, a lot tighter than a rental gokart, but it felt sort of confortable for my 6'1"... Left the pits to join the track, very good waether, middle of the summer...
Slammed on the accelerator arriving at the end of pitlane...
Nothing happened... for long enough just to have time to wonder what the hell was going on, then suddenly it got into gear....
The scream of the engine behind me was crazy... I felt my body pressed into the seat...
"oooooohhh gosh!! That's different!!"
Braking was tough... Rotax Max have "handbrake" type of brakes... Only in the rear...
First corner, braked, only to get the rear willing to get me sideways... Ok, let's forget about trail braking for now
Kept going for 15 laps... Spun out once though... But did not stall it :lol:
What a rush it was!!

Kept driving this kart for roughly 1 year, doing the mech during and in between races for my friend (the owner of the kart) in exchange of lapping days during the week ends...
After a year, I felt like home on my local track... only 0.5s away from my friend's laptimes... Even faster than him on another smaller track...
But something was missing... Shifting gears, stable braking...

So my friend told me "Hey, why don't you try the shifter"
6 speed, 50hp, 0 to 60mph in 3s... It also cost 15000$ and was almost brand new... I did not even dare asking him to try it before...
Not even comparable!! I thought the Rotax Max were reasonnably fast eventhough I got used to the speed after a year driving it VERY often...
Litteraly felt like never before... That fast (115mph top speed at the end of the straight) on such a narrow track with the ass 1inch over the concrete...And this acceleration... Purely insane. I felt like I was shifting an F1 car hahaha.... Counting the gear, thinking at first, well maybe I'm downshifting too fast while I actually downshift too slowly...
And the vibrations, constant bouncing in your seat... So violent... I could not do runs over 6 or 7 minutes... My hands were dying... I can last forever in the Rotax Max... But in this beast... I just could not handle it physically for too long

As far as racing goes, I never raced other than online behind my desk lol... But I had some "racy times" with 2 friends on Rotax Max also...
Best memory was when I avoided my friend's exhaust that exploded while I was drafting 40cm away from his rear bumper... Still don't know how I managed to avoid that thing going 70mph... Left the longest skid mark sliding on the end of straight I've ever seen, did not even spin out and kept it under control... But that's definitly one of my top 3 memories on a go kart

Race cars and slick tires driving coming soon hopefully
Old 01-26-2012
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

First time in a race car was my 3 day ..... Greatest Day of my driving life! Pouring rain! Cold! Perfect! Todd Snyder, Peter Argetsinger were so encouraging. Couldn't wait to tighten the belts down. The next day my hip pionters were very sore indeed.
But the PEOPLE who came......... Man, they made the whoel story. The filthy rich jewish lawyer from NYC; never listened to instruction because he drove a Ferrari and knew it all. The drag racer who adapted to making turns rather well. The Racing spouse who was sent to school because she criticised her husband's race driving. The Dr. who was given the class as a gift and NEVER caught on to the terms... racing line or braking point. We watched him spin so many times, he became "The Spin Doctor"
The 2 ladies from M.I.T that shared a Neon with me, and knew more than the instructors because they had many initials after their names. ( I later realized they developed the Stability program that Mercedes and Chrysler use in their road cars. Sheesh!)

I enjoyed the instruction so much I took 3, Two Day Advanced Classes. I was sure I was not ready for a race weekend. Todd followed me around Watkins for almost 3 hours one day and proclaimed I should race.

My first race was the Memorial weekend race at Watkins Glen. I was promptly told by Stevie D that I had chosen a Very Fast and VERY Un forgiving track to make my debut. Worried.... Worried ...... Worried! Watched many crash damage bills being handed out and started to work on my plan of attack.
That plan turned out to be........... Don't let the car touch the blue fence...... It's EXPENSIVE! And the car business is not that good right now!
My new goal was forming in my mind. I was not going for the WIN. I was hoping I didn't finish DEAD Fucking LAST! I had lowered my standards to that level.

ON Saturday morning I met my Mentor ( And Future insurance agent..... What a sell job) Chris Brassard. He gave me a quick Schedule run through, and noticed we were in the same race. Qualifying was in 5 minutes so my mentoring was going to have to wait. I remember that I stayed away from everyone else so I wouldn't "hold them up" on a quick lap. I still remember being handed a time sheet and immediatly looking at the slowest names on the sheet and working my way up to the top......second on the chart! Third............ Chris Brassard.
My mentor (and future insurance agent) came by and scanned the sheet. His respone was " You out qualified me! Mentoring's OVER!!!!!"
At the drivers meeting, I quickly learned that if I was going into turn 1 with 2 other cars............ I would brake first !!! And...... I did!

I have Absolutely LOVED every second of the racing experience with Skip. I was never really nervous in the car. But it was NEVER just the driving. I lived the people (drivers, friends, instructors, mechanics, corner workers ....everyone) the tracks..... the thrill of driving as fast as I, and I me "I" could drive.

By the way............. I acheived my goal. .... I didn't finish DFL.

Take a look at the new avatar and you will see me in winter testing. The Caterham is done being refreshed and I hope to get it on track this spring.

George
Old 01-29-2012
somewhere out there
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Road America, August 1997. Just a day or two after the CART race so the track was stil lin 'pro' mode, and that was the last year before all the concrete and catch fencing.

The two things that stand out are:

Day 1 - Feeling like I was doing 242mph behind the Neon pace car in about third gear...

Day 2 - My 17th birthday, and it rained. Everyone else wasn't thrilled by it but I was grinning like an idiot under my visor in the pits, and one of the mechanics came over and gave me (friendly)abuse because I'd been hoping for rain the day before. The first few laps I *loved* it but then got a little overconfident. Biiiiiig understeer in Turn 7(which I was fine with, and stayed on the road) and then a bit brave in Canada Corner. Big entry speed, deep in the gravel.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2012
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

It was a magnificent day in early summer of 1987 in Bridgehampton, New York, Noyack Bay in the backdrop. As a know-it-all 17 year old, I tucked my mullet into my helmet, strapped into the skippy car and was told by a very gruff and intimidating Jon McComb to carefully weave a first pass through the slalom course laid out on the front straight. HAH, I was going to blow him away with my natural talent and speed... Not two cones in, I completely lost control, drove straight off the track and launched deep into the sand dunes on the south side of the front straight. My first memory of driving a race car, indelibly imprinted.
Old 01-30-2012
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

I completed my 3-Day SBRS Formula School back in 2000. I can still remember the instructor Peter Argetsinger calling out "Drivers to your Motorcars!". The first time I climbed into the race car and pulled the harnesses tight I remember feeling incredibly happy to finally get to drive a real "race car". Behind my tinted visor, I had the biggest smile in all of Lime Rock. After years of waiting, I enjoyed every bump in the track, tire squeal and even the loud roar of the engine inches behind my head. Every time I get back into the formula car it feels like coming home. You feel that there is no better place to be than behind the wheel of a Skip Barber race car.
Old 01-30-2012

Gallery Images: 5

I had written this a while ago but never posted it. I have condensed it and it is still too long. Sorry

2010 was the worst year in Burris family history. Our beloved Weimaraner died at the age of 12. My son was diagnosed with Autism, my wife with Lupus, and I had a large melanoma cancer on my neck. Melanoma had just taken my cousin Tony a year ago. We were the same age. I was also fifteen thousand dollars in debt, all of it medical bills. We were so close to losing everything, even our sanity it seemed like. That is why I never saw this school happening for me. My wife surprised me that Christmas with a 1 day racing school.fficeffice" />
From Christmas until May I struggled with guilt. I could just get a refund and provide us with some much needed financial relief. My wife finally leveled with me. Some things are more important to than money, and I needed to find out if this was the answer. If I didn’t go and have fun, she would never forgive me for wasting the opportunity. I hit the gym and got myself in to good shape to mentally and physically handle a race car.
The day came. I showed up 2 hours early for my 1 day racing school; partly from excitement, and partly to have less to take in mentally. The more familiar my surroundings were, the less distraction I thought there would be. I was going to make the most of this.
Small, high powered, open wheeled perfection; they looked like fun. They are only a couple inches off the ground, and you are practically lying in the floor of the car to drive it. After some classroom instruction, it was time to drive.
First up were the MX-5s. When I first fired the car, the adrenaline kicked in. They were quick, but the best part was how balanced the cars were! Very enjoyable, but I did not realize how much what would come later was going to affect me…
The cockpit was tight, but like a cocoon. I had to remove the steering wheel to get in and out. Finally, I was in a formula car! I slip into my seat and strap in. My heart is pounding, I am laughing out loud as I put the steering wheel into place and start the car. I get the signal to leave the pits. I am the first car on track at Road Atlanta this afternoon, and I have to remind myself to breathe. This is the greatest rush I have ever felt. After a few laps I feel like I really understand the car. I settle in and get to really pushing my limits.
As I am driving everything just melts away. My worries about money, kids, pending tasks that need addressing, even driving the car no longer required thought. Despite having to stop on the straight after turn 7 for feedback, I was integrated; I would listen to the feedback, get rolling and find a different level of consciousness by the time I hit 10a the front wheels felt like extensions of my arms, the pedals, part of my feet. I could feel every imperfection in the track; I knew exactly where the tires would lose grip, but I didn’t have to think about it. There were no conscious thoughts going through my mind that I can recall. It was the ultimate paradox; I was near limits of the car, and my mind was more clear and relaxed than I had ever experienced. As my session ended, I pulled into the pits and shut the car off, but I didn’t get out. I had just found what I had been looking for over a decade. I closed my helmet visor and wept; right there in the car (those feelings are coming back to me even now as I write this).
Every day since then, has been bitter sweet. I can only describe what I feel as heart break. Have you ever felt like you had found the person you were meant to be with for the rest of your life, only to have them break up with you? My heart aches to be back in a car again. I go through small bouts of depression and anguish. I long for the experience again, and loathe the fact that I need it so bad. Somehow I would rather be depressed than stop thinking about it, for fear that I may lose that need forever. It may sound ridiculous to an outsider, but to those who know me, it is more understandable. It is just so deeply engrained. But how can I ever afford to do it again?
Racing is expensive, no matter what type you choose to do. For my part, I don’t need to race as much as I need to just be on track and drive. No cops, no traffic, and no worries.
I know this is long and a little extreme, it’s just that I am that passionate about the experience. I have had a hole in my heart for over a decade and could not find what it was I was missing. I tried motorcycles, car restoration, mechanic work, even tuning. I just couldn’t put a finger on it. I am saving to go back, but it will probably be for the 1 day class again. Just can’t afford the full school.
Old 01-31-2012
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Joe,
You've described magnificently the intoxication of getting to that special place you can only get to in a race car, and having been there, the overwhelming desire to return.
Your circumstances and passion are compelling.
Thanks for sharing so honestly.
Don't count yourself out of a 3-Day... You never know...
BTW have you considered karting as a less expensive alternative until you can get back in the open wheel?
Pat
Old 01-31-2012

Thanks for not judging. I thought long and hard about posting this, a little dramatic but that's how I feel. As far as Karting goes, I just bought a Helmet, already have gloves and shoes. Next item will be a suit as money allows. Hope to try endurance karting next time around.
Old 01-31-2012
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

Joe

Loved the post. I could feel the emotion. And could clearly relate. I too had a scrap with cancer and life was not quite complete until I had passed a few mileposts after surgery. Driving in a Skip car was one of them (after all, I needed a Physical so I could race a Skippy car at Road America and that's how they found the cancer. I guess I have Skip Barber Racing to thank for saving my life)
I still have this vivid image of walking into the Lime Rock pits after recovery, and seeing Ron Sloneker look over and greet me as a long lost friend. I knew immediatly I was going to get past this bump in the road. Within 10 minutes I was in a formula car and the worries of the world fell off me like leaves from a tree in October. I was home.

I would love to race more, but finances constrain me to once a year. But each time I go, I have a years worth of new stories and friends to keep me entertained. I may not be the fastest guy on the track but I am the guy having the MOST fun out there. Guaranteed!

Keep up the interest. We all feel it.

George
Old 01-31-2012

Hi George,
I am glad you were able to get yours quickly taken care of. My class was 2 days before my surgery. I had to keep re-bandaging my biopsy all day because of the heat; luckily I came prepared. Isn't it amazing how one's priorities tend to fall into place, and what is really important shines through when their is the possibility of mortality? It's almost like a cheat sheet to life.
I feel your pain about once a year drives, that was my goal, but up until recently I didn't think even that would be a possibility. Life always keeps you guessing...
I don't write on this forum often because with my lack of experience, I don't have a lot to offer. But I love getting on here just to read from people who have the knowledge (and baggage) that comes with a love of driving. This forum is full of people who seem to have checked their egos at the door, and I love that. You Guys are great!

Bookmark This Thread