Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Schumacher forced to apologize to Heidfeld

From F1-Live-

---

Schumacher forced to apologise
Over Australian GP crash

World champion Michael Schumacher was forced to apologise on Friday for crashing into Nick Heidfeld at the first race of the season in Australia.

Schumacher was subjected to a 30-minute barrage of scrutiny as the 18 other drivers on the grid aired their views over who was to blame for the crash between the two Germans in the Australian Grand Prix. And insiders revealed the seven-time World Champion lost out 19:1 in an unprecedented driver vote with even his Ferrari team-mate Rubens Barrichello siding against him in the poll.

The source, who asked not to be named, confirmed: "The drivers discussed the accident between Michael Schumacher and Nick Heidfeld for about 30 minutes and it was decided Schumacher was in the wrong. They voted 19:1 that Schumacher should apologise to Heidfeld. He accepted the decision, stood up and verbally apologised in front of everyone in the room."

Schumacher refused to accept the blame after the incident in Melbourne, in which he came out of the pits and forced Heidfeld onto the grass heading into turn three. The pair collided and Heidfeld's race was ended immediately. Schumacher was pushed out of the gravel trap and returned to the pits but was also forced to retire from the race.

Schumacher reacted sternly to reporters when questioned over the crash and said: "I have seen Nick and it is all over. Now is the time to throw this topic away, it's finished."

Schumacher absolved himself of blame after the incident but Heidfeld was not so sure and admitted he was disappointed that he was forced out of the race by the world champion. But he is now ready to forget the incident.

"It was not the position we would have wanted to be in," Heidfeld told reporters at Sepang. "The team would have wanted both cars to finish the race in Melbourne. It (the crash) is all over now. I don't need to think about it anymore, it's not important anymore. I just want to concentrate on doing well for the team in Sepang and I am looking forward to the race."
Old 03-18-2005
Junior West Coaster
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Thumbs up Re: Schumacher forced to apologize to Heidfeld

Old 03-19-2005
Team OC/AD D

Re: Schumacher forced to apologize to Heidfeld

I think the drivers were all a bit tired of his on-track arrogance, flagrant disregard for safety and complete lack of fairplay in passing situations. Let's hope this new-found humility will last for a while. The fact that the old Ferrari is running like crap can't hurt, either.
Old 03-19-2005
WillowCross Racing
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Sy,
Both you and Matt's Dad make mention of teamate Rubens throwing Michael "under the bus" - I was more astonished that his little brother voted against him as well. Had their mother still been alive I don't think he would have done it.
I think Ralf is really looking forward to this year and is going make more "statements" like this - both off and on the track.
Old 03-19-2005
Team OC/AD D

I think EVERYONE was sick and tired of his antics - yes, even Ralf. Don't forget that the 'Schumi Chop' was used against Ralf on several occasions. It didn't discriminate.

My concern about Ralf's on-track statements is his motivation - if he has a couple of bad weekends, he'll fade away. Again. His hunger has always been fleeting.
Old 03-20-2005
WillowCross Racing
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

For all of you (us) who voted for Webber and Fishi - all I can say is I'm glad I didn't bet on the race. It was Fishi's fault. But for the record I think Webber is the biggest "on track" jerk*** in F1.

He blocks more than the "Villian."
16 friggin' points down the drain...halfwits

Bookmark This Thread