Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 11-27-2008
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Question Camera Advice

Since the holidays are a month away, and the holiday sales are a day or so away, I thought now would be a good time to ask for suggestions on camcorders?

I'm not talking anything fancy or "professional". I'm more interested in the small, portable, easy-to-use video camera that is perfect for that once-in-a-lifetime vacation. Something easy that still gets great footage. A good optical zoom would be nice, too.

There will probably never be any computer editing to the footage, so something that connects to a DVD burner/NON-HDTV would be good, for transfer purposes.

I was liking the idea of cameras that record to memory cards, but I think(?) my options are limited or non-existent since I want to connect/burn from a TV instead of a computer. Unless there are non-USB connector cables?

Any suggestions are welcomed! Thanks so much.

And Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2008
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Re: Camera Advice

I am a DV tape oriented shopper so not too up on other media but you might consider a DVD cam, I messed with one a while back and it was user firendly and your vid is already on a DVD for viewing.

Check CNET, always an excellent source for info and comparisons.

Last edited by cdh; 11-27-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2008
administrationistperson

Ali, you might also consider ordering from B&H Photo Video in NYC. Good prices and support and if ordered online no sales tax, delivery usually next day paying road freight charges, good co.
Old 11-28-2008

Thanks for the info, Doug! Any brand or model suggestions (recording format doesn't matter)?
Old 11-28-2008
HotShoeGreaseMonkey
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Canon has awesome optical zoom. Being that they've been making their lenses since the beginning. Can't really say much else I bought a camera 4 yrs ago. I think last time I looked there were a few diff companies with good lenses getting really good optical zoom.
Old 11-28-2008
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekychica View Post
I'm not talking anything fancy or "professional". I'm more interested in the small, portable, easy-to-use video camera that is perfect for that once-in-a-lifetime vacation. Something easy that still gets great footage. A good optical zoom would be nice, too.
You are in the Mini DV or DVD $350 and up range. You get what you pay for in image quality and a good lens is essential (Sony & Canon). Any camcorder is easy to use in auto mode, most in this range offer adjustability in exposure, focus, AE, etc. if you want to get creative.
Quote:
There will probably never be any computer editing to the footage, so something that connects to a DVD burner/NON-HDTV would be good, for transfer purposes.
To avoid computer dependency with your video avoid Flash (memory card) and Hard Drive camcorders. Mini DVD / Tape wins here.
Quote:
I was liking the idea of cameras that record to memory cards, but I think(?) my options are limited or non-existent since I want to connect/burn from a TV instead of a computer. Unless there are non-USB connector cables?
Many component DVRs and DVD recorders / burners (and newer TVs) have a variety of connections; USB, S, Firewire, RCA, etc. so transfer directly from camera shouldn't be a problem. Again, if you chose a DVD based camcorder this becomes moot. Record directly to mini DVD in the camera, playback immediately on any DVD player or from camcorder, Mini DVDs are small so easy to pack a lot of them for a long trip. AND, the DVD is your hard copy, you can capture clips into your computer if nec. but the material will always be safe on the DVD (as opposed to the backup needed for HDD). If you go Mini DVD you want a cam that is DVD RW compatible (rewritable discs).
Quote:
Any brand or model suggestions (recording format doesn't matter)?
Sony and Canon pretty much have the market covered - many good choices, good lenses and features, huge support network.

Any other readers have comments on your camcorder experiences???

You never mentioned the most important criteria - what is your budget? Email me if ya want Ali.

Last edited by cdh; 11-28-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2008
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

I have purchased Sony, JVC and Canon. I am partial to Sony only because they seem to make the market. I do think that Canon offers more features for slightly less money. I am with Doug on Mini DV tapes or Mini DVD. However, if you think that you might want to store clips or do any editing in the future the hard drive cam corders are great in that all you have to do is transfer a file over as opposed to having to run a tape to transfer over. Much quicker!

I am contemplating a pro-sumer HD model and am torn between the mini DV tapes and the hard drive. So far I am locked into inaction!

If you do not want to go to HD the prices have come down substantially.

You might want to check out Crutchfield's web site for some good information as well. They also have a scratch and dent inventory where you can get cameras that were opened but tested and have the full warranty for less. I was able to buy a good Sony Mini DV last year for much less that had all the features I needed to run my in car camera set up. Has been flawless in performance.
Old 11-30-2008
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10

From an idiot that reads just to prove he still can, I read someplace that DVDs and CDs don't last as long from a storage perspective (maybe five years?) as tape media. Any truth to that?
Old 12-01-2008

Smile Re: Camera Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
You are in the Mini DV or DVD $350 and up range. You get what you pay for in image quality and a good lens is essential (Sony & Canon). Any camcorder is easy to use in auto mode, most in this range offer adjustability in exposure, focus, AE, etc. if you want to get creative.
To avoid computer dependency with your video avoid Flash (memory card) and Hard Drive camcorders. Mini DVD / Tape wins here.

Many component DVRs and DVD recorders / burners (and newer TVs) have a variety of connections; USB, S, Firewire, RCA, etc. so transfer directly from camera shouldn't be a problem.

Sony and Canon pretty much have the market covered - many good choices, good lenses and features, huge support network.
Thanks for all the info, guys! I decided to go with the Canon's miniDV ZR950.

The miniDV format was just the better option over the Flash memory because, aside from Flash's havier reliance on a computer, the large SD cards are more expensive than miniDV tapes, and the tapes are more reliable.

That, and I found a really good deal on eBay -- always great when you find what you want for 58% of the manufacturer's site price!

Now, I'm off to find a good deal on miniDV tapes.
Old 12-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFS View Post
From an idiot that reads just to prove he still can, I read someplace that DVDs and CDs don't last as long from a storage perspective (maybe five years?) as tape media. Any truth to that?
I, too, am interested in knowing the durability of the types of media. I'm planning to transfer from miniDV tape to DVD and, most likely recording over the used miniDV tape. I've also heard things about recording in SP vs. LP formats...?
Old 12-02-2008
administrationistperson

Quote:
I, too, am interested in knowing the durability of the types of media. I'm planning to transfer from miniDV tape to DVD and, most likely recording over the used miniDV tape. I've also heard things about recording in SP vs. LP formats...?
Buy high quality DVD's (read more expensive), your video transfers will last up to 100 years if properly stored and cared for. Cheaper DVDs can maintain good image quality for 20-30 years.

Mini DV tapes offer best recording quality and will last a long time with proper care. I have been recording digital video for about 8 years now and recently pulled out a tape shot at VIR in 2002. Image and audio were still perfect. The physical tape will eventually degrade (maybe 10-12 years) so best to transfer to DVD, esp. your most important video. You will hear horror stories of VHS tape degradation and they are mostly true - VHS is of a lower quality and not digital and they don't last as long as Mini DV, a much finer tape media.

I rarely record over a tape but once found a problem recording over a tape originally shot in standard TV aperture (4:3) with new material shot widescreen (16:9). It created image problems that I couldn't fix so beware there.

I always shoot SP, I want best image possible . LP gets another 20 min. record time per tape in my cam but image quality far overrides this advantage in my book, but you should test both recording speeds and see what you think is best. A faster tape speed (SP) is always better when shooting fast action like racing, so consider this when deciding on tape speed.

Ali, what do you plan to use to transfer the video to DVD? Mike M has a nice Toshiba unit that does the transfer without need of a computer. I use my PC...capture the material I want from a tape then burn it to DVD. Your Canon should come with software that will let you get the video from camera to computer.

Good luck with new cam!

Last edited by cdh; 12-02-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-02-2008

Quote:
Ali, what do you plan to use to transfer the video to DVD? Mike M has a nice Toshiba unit that does the transfer without need of a computer. I use my PC...capture the material I want from a tape then burn it to DVD. Your Canon should come with software that will let you get the video from camera to computer.

Good luck with new cam!
We have a Panasonic DMR E75V unit connected to our TV that I use to transfer VHS to DVD. It has composite and S-video with two-channel audio connectors, and the cam comes with a stereo video cable (STV-250N).
Old 12-02-2008
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10

Quote:
Buy high quality DVD's (read more expensive), your video transfers will last up to 100 years if properly stored and cared for. Cheaper DVDs can maintain good image quality for 20-30 years.

Mini DV tapes offer best recording quality and will last a long time with proper care. I have been recording digital video for about 8 years now and recently pulled out a tape shot at VIR in 2002. Image and audio were still perfect. The physical tape will eventually degrade (maybe 10-12 years) so best to transfer to DVD, esp. your most important video. You will hear horror stories of VHS tape degradation and they are mostly true - VHS is of a lower quality and not digital and they don't last as long as Mini DV, a much finer tape media.

I rarely record over a tape but once found a problem recording over a tape originally shot in standard TV aperture (4:3) with new material shot widescreen (16:9). It created image problems that I couldn't fix so beware there.
Ahh, so it was the other way around. And, I didn't know about the VHS degradation issue. I have to get my wedding tape transferred to a DVD then! We also have it on Beta, but I don't imagine that would hold up any better than VHS.

Thanks for the great info, Doug.
Old 12-03-2008
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFS View Post
Ahh, so it was the other way around. And, I didn't know about the VHS degradation issue. I have to get my wedding tape transferred to a DVD then! We also have it on Beta, but I don't imagine that would hold up any better than VHS.
Yes, get those irreplaceable VHS tapes onto DVD. What I want to know is how it was determined a good DVD will maintain quality A/V for 100 years?!?!?

Bookmark This Thread