Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 08-31-2007
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Physical requirements for a 3 day racing school

Hi!

Having only driven my normal road car and rental go-karts a cople of times and now planing of doing a 3 day racing school at Laguna Seca I'm starting to get a litle nervous about my physical condition and if I can keep up during the 3 day program.
I don't think the legs will be a problem but my arms are on the thin side of things, never had any special training other then normal life for 29 years.
Is it time to start training them to get the most out of the experience or are the cars not that havy to drive at the limit?

/Viktor
Old 08-31-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8
Re: Physical requirements for a 3 day racing school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor
Hi!

Having only driven my normal road car and rental go-karts a cople of times and now planing of doing a 3 day racing school at Laguna Seca I'm starting to get a litle nervous about my physical condition and if I can keep up during the 3 day program.
I don't think the legs will be a problem but my arms are on the thin side of things, never had any special training other then normal life for 29 years.
Is it time to start training them to get the most out of the experience or are the cars not that havy to drive at the limit?

/Viktor
My personal opinion: your arms will be fine. The steering is quick, but reasonably light, and slow-and-smooth hands are the order of the day. I think the brake pedal will be by far the greatest challenge. There is no servo assist on the RT's as there would be on a street car with disc brakes, which by nature are non-self energizing. Work on that right leg, you'll need it to bring a big, smooth squeeze to bear on the brake pedal at turns 2, 8 and 11 at Laguna.

Also, see this previous thread on the topic:

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=2270

Last edited by Rosso; 08-31-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2007
Skippy Girl
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Re: Physical requirements for driving a 3Day

There are three requirements:

1. A pulse
2. A credit card that hasn’t been maxed out
3. An appreciation for good humor

In all seriousness, it sounds like you are in good shape to take your three day. You will be driving a great track with great instructors. Keep in mind that your fellow 3 day students will have the same concerns as you. Some will have a little track time, some will have none, and some will think they are the next Mario freakin Andretti.

You have already discovered the best part of driving at Skip Barber…the TJR community. Welcome aboard!

- At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan
Old 09-01-2007
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

If you've run go-karts and weren't too sore afterwards you'll be fine. I have not run at Laguna but I don't think it beats you up too much. Do some push-ups and squeeze a rubber ball for grip, hold a weight at arms length and excercise wrists and forearms.

I am jealous, you are beginning a great experience. I wish I could turn the clock back and do it all over again.

Welcome aboard Have Fun!

BTW, if I may ask, is this part of a trip to the U.S. or are you going to California just for the school?

Last edited by cdh; 09-01-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-02-2007
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Thanks for the tips everyone, it sounds like I don't have to worry to much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
BTW, if I may ask, is this part of a trip to the U.S. or are you going to California just for the school?
The racing is the goal for the trip and then I will try to make a vacation out of it and maybe try to visiting a ChampCar (Long Beach) or Nascar event if the timing is right to see what the fuss is all about over there
Btw anyone know when thay usually release the spring schedule for Laguna Seca?

/Viktor
Old 09-02-2007

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Thanks for the tips everyone, it sounds like I don't have to worry to much.

The racing is the goal for the trip and then I will try to make a vacation out of it and maybe try to visiting a ChampCar (Long Beach) or Nascar event if the timing is right to see what the fuss is all about over there

/Viktor
350 miles to Long Beach from Monterey.
150 miles to Infineon Raceway.
Old 09-02-2007

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:

/Viktor
Are you talking about Skip Barber race weekends? If so, then the only ones this winter are in November, December, and January. If you are talking about general racing at Laguna Seca, then check the track's website.

Bookmark This Thread