Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 05-01-2010
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

3 day school questions

Hi,

I'm a new forum guy with some questions about an upcoming 3 day school. I haven't driven one of these cars before (just sedans), what is comfortable to wear under those coveralls? Jeans? long johns? tighty whities? :-)

If I want to do some video do I need to bring some gear or is that available on site?

I am looking forward to going to this school so much I almost don't want the day to come, the anticipation is great!

Ron
Old 05-01-2010
Pro Skid Padder
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Re: 3 day school questions

First off Welcome!

You can wear whatever you want. If its pretty warm out, just boxers and a t-shirt works pretty well. But bring a change of clothes incase of rain.

You have the choice of having a camera mounted on your roll hoop for one of your final sessions. Its done by an outside company that works with us...and even know ive heard the talk 100 times...i still dont know how much it costs. But it is worth it and cool to show your friends.

When and where is your school?
Old 05-01-2010
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Welcome to the site!
A change of clothes is a must! i had a shirt on the 1st day and jeans and i was hot in the july road atlanta weather. It rained twice in the 2 last days for a little and the change of clothes was much appreciative. comfortable light is the best way to go. And i also know there is an outside company but don't remember the prices at all!
Old 05-02-2010
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Welcome! I just did my 2-Day Advanced and had a blast. Wore boxers & Nomex under the suit. Video is $120

Ken
Old 05-02-2010

Thanks for the replies, that helpsa a lot. I am going to Laguna on May 7-9 so I figure cool in the AM and warming throughout the day.

Ron
Old 05-02-2010
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Welcome aboard Ron, don't know if you've read this thread but there is good info here

Sooooo much fun enjoy!
Old 05-02-2010
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

Ron,

If you have your own video gear, like a GoPro, you are welcome to use that during the school as well. However, most students have enough on their minds, and using the service provided by Helix for Skip Barber is often worth the cost for the quality and the convenience.

I agree with Ryan and the rest who posted about keeping undergarments light if the weather is warm, and bring spare clothing if you get wet by rain or by simply sweating in the heat.

Have a great time.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 05-03-2010
red mist junkie

Gallery Images: 2

Ron, you are about to embark on the best 3 days of your motoring life !
Everyone on this site, even if they have done years of racing will remember where they took their "3 Day" Everyone remembers the first time they sat in a formula car and got to take it "between the guardrails" for the first time.

Only one word of advice. Pay attention! There is so much information flowing at you that there isn't much time for any side activities. If you want video, leave it to Helix. They will do everything for you so you can concentrate on the important stuff........Like driving at your personal limit!

Enjoy! Enjoy! I never EXPECTED to be a Pro. Just living the dream!

George
Old 05-03-2010

Thanks for all the good advice, I suppose there is some sort of locker room to store clothes etc while at the track? As for my own video gear, I figure I'll have my hands (and brain) full while there so I'm inclined to pay for the service.

Thanks,

Champing at the bit...

Ron
Old 05-03-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron k View Post
I suppose there is some sort of locker room to store clothes etc while at the track?
Yes, it's called the classroom. The desks make great open air lockers. Or your rental car. One of the things I love most about amateur racing-- no luxury, few amenities. Just driving, pure and simple.

Unfortunately, I don't remember much from my 3 day school, wish I remembered more. Only 3 things stand out: 1. How I went off the track on my first braking exercise-- it had rained the day before and they had apparently cut the grass right before that. There I was, in a white car with the white cueball Skippy issue helmet. COMPLETELY covered with big clods of mud and thousands of grass clippings. Elapsed time in the car, approx 5 minutes. Learned the first rule of open wheel race cars: When you don't have fenders, you're never incognito when you go off-- the evidence gets all over you. Keith Watts STILL laughs about it. 2. How BAD I was for 2 3/4 days. 3. How, in the final session, just as I had decided that I was completely lacking in any driving talent whatsoever, a couple of things clicked and I started PASSING PEOPLE. I must have passed 6 people that session. You should have seen me when I got out of the car, I thought I had just won the frickin Indy 500. That was it. The end of my hard-earned financial security. The hook was set, buddy, and DEEP.
Old 05-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
Yes, it's called the classroom. The desks make great open air lockers. Or your rental car. One of the things I love most about amateur racing-- no luxury, few amenities. Just driving, pure and simple.

Unfortunately, I don't remember much from my 3 day school, wish I remembered more. Only 3 things stand out: 1. How I went off the track on my first braking exercise-- it had rained the day before and they had apparently cut the grass right before that. There I was, in a white car with the white cueball Skippy issue helmet. COMPLETELY covered with big clods of mud and thousands of grass clippings. Elapsed time in the car, approx 5 minutes. Learned the first rule of open wheel race cars: When you don't have fenders, you're never incognito when you go off-- the evidence gets all over you. Keith Watts STILL laughs about it. 2. How BAD I was for 2 3/4 days. 3. How, in the final session, just as I had decided that I was completely lacking in any driving talent whatsoever, a couple of things clicked and I started PASSING PEOPLE. I must have passed 6 people that session. You should have seen me when I got out of the car, I thought I had just won the frickin Indy 500. That was it. The end of my hard-earned financial security. The hook was set, buddy, and DEEP.
Sound like u described my last session perfectly from my 3 day school! amazing feeling i wouldn't change for the world!
Old 05-04-2010

Good stories, I am already in the self bargaining stage on how to "justify" the 2 day advanced class. I think I have stumbled on the best way to justify it...here it is...&^%$^ it, I'm going to do it because I want too!

Ron
Old 05-04-2010

Gallery Images: 14

BTW. I always liked to wear thin, breathable, kind of baggy shorts, like basketball or other workout shorts under my suit. Just made me comfortable when warm and wanting to take down the top half of the suit, or just off completely at he end of the day instead of changing. Great advice by everyone above. Get plenty of sleep days before, plenty of hydration, and just be a sponge, and try to to take one thing at a time as it is shown to you. Most of all .. HAVE FUN !!

Bookmark This Thread