Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 07-20-2007
Servant of The Man
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: Starting Out in Racing

I don't mean to revive a dead thread here, but I have a viewpoint that seems to be different from some of those expressed thus far on this thread. I've just finished my three and two day courses, and have to say that there is no possible way I could be better prepared to go road racing. I come from a rallying/single length course time attack background, so car control was not a particular concern for me, but all of the subtleties unique to track racing certainly were. In the course of somewhere around 10 hours of actual on track time along with a few hours of classroom time, the Skip Barber program has got me feeling like I'm at least prepared to safely and reasonably go racing on a track. That right there says it all for me. If the program and instructors can accomplish so much in so short of a time when you really pay attention and want to take criticism constructively, think about what it can accomplish if you actually run a full season...

All this brings me to the real point I was going to make. When considering cost, you also have to consider what you're getting for the cost. Track time does not equal track time; two hours of track time with the likes of MHP, Phil, Bruce, Jason, Stefan, RB, Murph, et al watching you corner by corner and providing feedback would easily equate to a couple of days worth of trial and error by yourself. A personal coaching day with any of these guys would easily run into the thousands of dollars by itself. Looking at Skip Barber in this light, it would be hard to come up with any other way to learn as much as quickly. In case you can't tell by this point, I'm completely hooked and already thinking about going back to LRP in October for my first event. See you all there... You'll recognize me by the "Darth Vader" helmet. (Although aparrently driving by the force isn't quite as easy as they make it seem in the movies )
Old 07-20-2007
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyracenut
When considering cost, you also have to consider what you're getting for the cost. Track time does not equal track time; two hours of track time with the likes of MHP, Phil, Bruce, Jason, Stefan, RB, Murph, et al watching you corner by corner and providing feedback would easily equate to a couple of days worth of trial and error by yourself. A personal coaching day with any of these guys would easily run into the thousands of dollars by itself.
Thanks for that, Robby. We're nuts enough to pour every ounce of whatever skills or talents we have into helping any way we can. It really helps that we love what we do and I'm glad it shows.
And though it would cut deeply into my nap time, when you're ready to spend those thousands of dollars for a day of coaching, I believe I could pry a day or two loose for ya. Yessir. Rightaway. No problemo.

You and the Force keep your eyes high and have fun in October.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 07-20-2007
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

It's also part of the process that after people spend some time in the race series they want to test themselves in other venues if their budget is up to it.

You eloquently illustrate why so many of us love the Skip Barber Racing School and Series. There is a compression of learning that takes place with their proven system manned by the smart experienced professionals you mentioned that doesn't exist anywhere else.

The proof in the pudding is how many current and former Skippy racers go on and do extremely well in other forms of racing because of the good basic training they receive at Skip Barber.

With all things being relative, and racing being a very expensive sport, it has been said many times that there is no better deal in racing than the Skip Barber Race Series. Have never heard anyone make a creditable argument against that.

And to paraphrase Jim Pace... It's not the cars (though with the current tires and hansford devices they're probably as good as they've ever been as race cars) and it's not the tracks (Even though there isn't a teaching race series in the world that goes to so many world class racing circuits)... It's the people. Both the instructors who generously share their passion for and knowledge of racing to accelerate the learning process, and the competitors who learn that sharing the process openly with instructors and other competitors is both as blissful and humbling as making love with the lights on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyracenut
I don't mean to revive a dead thread here, but I have a viewpoint that seems to be different from some of those expressed thus far on this thread. I've just finished my three and two day courses, and have to say that there is no possible way I could be better prepared to go road racing. I come from a rallying/single length course time attack background, so car control was not a particular concern for me, but all of the subtleties unique to track racing certainly were. In the course of somewhere around 10 hours of actual on track time along with a few hours of classroom time, the Skip Barber program has got me feeling like I'm at least prepared to safely and reasonably go racing on a track. That right there says it all for me. If the program and instructors can accomplish so much in so short of a time when you really pay attention and want to take criticism constructively, think about what it can accomplish if you actually run a full season...

All this brings me to the real point I was going to make. When considering cost, you also have to consider what you're getting for the cost. Track time does not equal track time; two hours of track time with the likes of MHP, Phil, Bruce, Jason, Stefan, RB, Murph, et al watching you corner by corner and providing feedback would easily equate to a couple of days worth of trial and error by yourself. A personal coaching day with any of these guys would easily run into the thousands of dollars by itself. Looking at Skip Barber in this light, it would be hard to come up with any other way to learn as much as quickly. In case you can't tell by this point, I'm completely hooked and already thinking about going back to LRP in October for my first event. See you all there... You'll recognize me by the "Darth Vader" helmet. (Although aparrently driving by the force isn't quite as easy as they make it seem in the movies )
Old 07-20-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
...is both as blissful and humbling as making love with the lights on.
Don't stand, don't stand so
Don't stand so close to me
Old 07-20-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
... is both as blissful and humbling as making love with the lights on.

please don't make us use the nannas

what people do with the lights on, the curtains open, the cameras running, in the back yard, on the deck, in the pool, etc etc etc is their own business
Old 07-20-2007
Grand Master

Figured that would get a rise out of you... I just drew the frame... It's your job to choose the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands

please don't make us use the nannas

what people do with the lights on, the curtains open, the cameras running, in the back yard, on the deck, in the pool, etc etc etc is their own business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso
Old 08-02-2007
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

If you can't afford Skip for a while, do karts. Stay in something. Video Games are the worst in my opinion. Ok for learning tracks with the new graphics and GPS accuracy... but karting is cheap in the grand scheme of it and it will help with race craft and using your eyes... come do a 2 adv and a race weekend. You will not regret it. Tons of fun.
Old 08-02-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar92
If you can't afford Skip for a while, do karts. Stay in something. Video Games are the worst in my opinion. Ok for learning tracks with the new graphics and GPS accuracy... but karting is cheap in the grand scheme of it and it will help with race craft and using your eyes... come do a 2 adv and a race weekend. You will not regret it. Tons of fun.
I agree! Too bad there aren't any good karting tracks near NYC. At least none that I know of!

If I lived near VIR I'd be there every weekend using their karting track. It was a great value - 30 dollars for 30 minutes.
Old 08-02-2007
Grand Master

In the fall Grand Prix New York will open in Mt. Kisco NY less than an hour away and within walking distance from the train station. Two indoor karting tracks with lots of amenities. Should be lots of fun!
Old 08-03-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Quote:
In the fall Grand Prix New York will open in Mt. Kisco NY less than an hour away and within walking distance from the train station. Two indoor karting tracks with lots of amenities. Should be lots of fun!
Interesting - I'll have to check it out when it opens.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2007
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Ever notice the R/T 2000 on the Skippy Forums header had a 'sponsor' change a while back...?

GPNY will be a first class operation, along the lines of F1 Boston, only better!

Russell, only 20 min from Stamford

Last edited by cdh; 08-04-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Ever notice the R/T 2000 on this site's banner had a 'sponsor' change a while back...?
Now that you mention looking at the banner, I use the montage, and it has 2006 in the upper left corner? What year is this?
Old 08-04-2007
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie
Now that you mention looking at the banner, I use the montage, and it has 2006 in the upper left corner? What year is this?
I forgot all about those other headers....collage updated for 2007

Bookmark This Thread