Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 04-19-2013
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

First time @ Laguna Seca

I just registered for a 2 Day Advanced Racing School @ Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in October. I've primarily been an East coast driver in the past (LRP, The Glen) but Laguna Seca has been on my bucket list. I tried to bundle in some lapping days but Payton said SBRS is only there for the 2-day class. Strange that they would haul everything there for only 2 days.
Old 04-22-2013
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Re: First time @ Laguna Seca

It'll be fun. But remember, out there they drive in the other direction.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 04-28-2013
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Laguna is the west coast base site so there is a fleet of west coast cars, a garage and mechanics that maintain those cars that live at the track. They've cut back on the number of days they run programs out there but because the cars are based there, there's no added expense if there are no programs on the days before or after a given program. That's why you could have an orphaned 2-day advanced school without lapping days in the same vicinity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I just registered for a 2 Day Advanced Racing School @ Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in October. I've primarily been an East coast driver in the past (LRP, The Glen) but Laguna Seca has been on my bucket list. I tried to bundle in some lapping days but Payton said SBRS is only there for the 2-day class. Strange that they would haul everything there for only 2 days.
Old 04-29-2013

Thanks for the info on Laguna Seca being the West Coast SBRS HQ. I'll just make the most of the two days I have on the track. I can't wait!

My wife will be a spectator during the class. Any suggestions on good places around the track to watch? Can you drive around the infield to reach different parts of the track as at WGI? I see "pedestrian walkways" on the track map but it's not clear from Google Earth if they are adequate for cars.

Thanks

Merlin
Old 04-29-2013
Grand Master

If your wife drives or can get a ride up to the corkscrew there is a vantage point across from the down side of the corkscrew that allows a commanding view of the track. I call it the "Sky Box". Sun block and/or an umbrella for shade is advisable and bring water to keep hydrated but it's a great place to watch from. You can see, with a few obstructions, from the corkscrew to turn five. There is nowhere else on the track that offers this much coverage.

Quote:
Thanks for the info on Laguna Seca being the West Coast SBRS HQ. I'll just make the most of the two days I have on the track. I can't wait!

My wife will be a spectator during the class. Any suggestions on good places around the track to watch? Can you drive around the infield to reach different parts of the track as at WGI? I see "pedestrian walkways" on the track map but it's not clear from Google Earth if they are adequate for cars.

Thanks

Merlin
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	4855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	4856  

Last edited by dalyduo; 04-29-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-30-2013

Thanks for the Skybox suggestion. That's clearly the best seat in the place (with the exception of inside the racecar!) Thanks.
Old 04-30-2013
Grand Master

Everyone wants their picture taken going through the corkscrew, (Looking at my framed shot right now) but as a driver turns 6 & 9 will be the turns that challenge and determine a good lap time. Laguna is the one track where I feel the pendulum effect of driving a rear engine car more than any other. Going fast means having the confidence to pitch the car into a corner with full commitment and trusting yourself to keep it balanced and on line with steering and/or throttle. Eyes up is always important but particularly so here.

Last edited by dalyduo; 04-30-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2013

Just completed my 2Day Adv School and it was even better than expected. The Corkscrew was actually fun - you get it right and everything falls into place. I agree that turn 9 takes a lot of commitment to drive fast. Even after 2 days I know I could have gone faster. The instructors were great and even with a full class they had lots of feedback for everyone. I was surprised that SBRS has removed the front and rear wings from the school cars to save them for the race weekend cars, but it doesn't change the driving experience or the speed. The only drawback to the event was that the outside photo/video vendor didn't show up. I usually get an in car video to study where I can improve for next time. I'll just treat it as another reason to return to Laguna Seca.
Old 10-25-2013
Grand Master

Thanks for the update Merlin...
Sounds like a good school.
First I've heard of removing wings. There used to be a separate fleet of school cars that had no wings. They were the old race series cars that had 4 speed crash boxes. (Those cars no longer exist) The good news is the wings give very little downforce, provide a bit of drafting help with the rear wing Hanford device, which is of virtually no importance in a 2-day advanced school, and won't substantially affect the performance of the car. So they are doing you a favor in removing meaningless bits of the car that will only cost you money and aggravation in a school environment.

Sadly Mike Marino is no longer doing in-car videos and there is no one to replace him. (Unless a new vendor has materialized on the west coast) Personal GoPro cameras are the preferred method of recording your sessions at this moment.

Going back to Laguna sounds like a good thing anytime.

Quote:
Just completed my 2Day Adv School and it was even better than expected. The Corkscrew was actually fun - you get it right and everything falls into place. I agree that turn 9 takes a lot of commitment to drive fast. Even after 2 days I know I could have gone faster. The instructors were great and even with a full class they had lots of feedback for everyone. I was surprised that SBRS has removed the front and rear wings from the school cars to save them for the race weekend cars, but it doesn't change the driving experience or the speed. The only drawback to the event was that the outside photo/video vendor didn't show up. I usually get an in car video to study where I can improve for next time. I'll just treat it as another reason to return to Laguna Seca.

Bookmark This Thread