Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 03-10-2010
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

10 Amazing Lessons from Albert Einstein

This was posted at iRacing's forum and found it valuable to be shared here too. My favourite are 1, 4, 5, 7, 9

The original source: 10 Amazing Life Lessons You Can Learn From Albert Einstein

1. Follow Your Curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
What piques your curiosity? I am curious as to what causes one person to succeed while another person fails; this is why I’ve spent years studying success. What are you most curious about? The pursuit of your curiosity is the secret to your success.

2. Perseverance is Priceless

Quote:
It's not that I'm so smart; it's just that I stay with problems longer.
Through perseverance the turtle reached the ark. Are you willing to persevere until you get to your intended destination? They say the entire value of the postage stamp consist in its ability to stick to something until it gets there. Be like the postage stamp; finish the race that you’ve started!

3. Focus on the Present

Quote:
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
My father always says you cannot ride two horses at the same time. I like to say, you can do anything, but not everything. Learn to be present where you are; give your all to whatever you’re currently doing.

Focused energy is power, and it’s the difference between success and failure.

4. The Imagination is Powerful

Quote:
Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions. Imagination is more important than knowledge.”
Are you using your imagination daily? Einstein said the imagination is more important than knowledge! Your imagination pre-plays your future. Einstein went on to say, “The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.” Are you exercising your “imagination muscles” daily, don’t let something as powerful as your imagination lie dormant.

5. Make Mistakes

Quote:
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Never be afraid of making a mistake. A mistake is not a failure. Mistakes can make you better, smarter and faster, if you utilize them properly. Discover the power of making mistakes. I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again, if you want to succeed, triple the amount of mistakes that you make.

6. Live in the Moment

Quote:
I never think of the future - it comes soon enough.
The only way to properly address your future is to be as present as possible “in the present.”

You cannot “presently” change yesterday or tomorrow, so it’s of supreme importance that you dedicate all of your efforts to “right now.” It’s the only time that matters, it’s the only time there is.

7. Create Value

Quote:
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.
Don’t waste your time trying to be successful, spend your time creating value. If you’re valuable, then you will attract success.

Discover the talents and gifts that you possess, learn how to offer those talents and gifts in a way that most benefits others.

Labor to be valuable and success will chase you down.

8. Don’t Expect Different Results

Quote:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
You can’t keep doing the same thing everyday and expect different results. In other words, you can’t keep doing the same workout routine and expect to look differently. In order for your life to change, you must change, to the degree that you change your actions and your thinking is to the degree that your life will change.

9. Knowledge Comes From Experience

Quote:
Information is not knowledge. The only source of knowledge is experience.
Knowledge comes from experience. You can discuss a task, but discussion will only give you a philosophical understanding of it; you must experience the task first hand to “know it.” What’s the lesson? Get experience! Don’t spend your time hiding behind speculative information, go out there and do it, and you will have gained priceless knowledge.

10. Learn the Rules and Then Play Better

Quote:
You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.
To put it all in simple terms, there are two things that you must do. The first thing you must do is to learn the rules of the game that you’re playing. It doesn’t sound exciting, but it’s vital. Secondly, you must commit to play the game better than anyone else. If you can do these two things, success will be yours!
Old 03-10-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: 10 Amazing Lessons from Albert Einstein

Which poses the question... "Who was smart enough to figure out Einstein made mistakes?"

Einstein’s mistakes:
In addition to his well-accepted results, some of Einstein’s papers contain mistakes:

1905: In the original German version of the special relativity paper, and in some English translations, Einstein gives a wrong expression for the transverse mass of a fast moving particle. The transverse mass is the antiquated name for the ratio of the 3-force to the 3-acceleration when the force is perpendicular to the velocity. Einstein gives this ratio as (can't replicate the math symbols here), while the actual value is (same problem replicating math symbols) (corrected by Max Planck).

1905: In his PhD dissertation, the friction in dilute solutions has a miscalculated numerical prefactor, which makes the estimate of Avogadro’s number off by a factor of 3. The mistake is corrected by Einstein in a later publication.

1905: An expository paper explaining how airplanes fly includes an example which is incorrect. There is a wing which he claims will generate lift. This wing is flat on the bottom, and flat on the top, with a small bump at the center. It is designed to generate lift by Bernoulli’s principle, and Einstein claims that it will. Simple action reaction considerations, though, show that the wing will not generate lift, at least if it is long enough.

1911: Einstein predicted how much the sun’s gravity would deflect nearby starlight, but used an approximation which gives an answer which is half as big as the correct one.[72]

1913: Einstein started writing papers based on his belief that the hole argument made general covariance impossible in a theory of gravity.

1922: Einstein published a qualitative theory of superconductivity based on the vague idea of electrons shared in orbits. This paper predated modern quantum mechanics, and is well understood to be completely wrong. The correct BCS theory of low temperature superconductivity was only worked out in 1957, thirty years after the establishing of modern quantum mechanics.

1937: Einstein believed that the focusing properties of geodesics in general relativity would lead to an instability which causes plane gravitational waves to collapse in on themselves. While this is true to a certain extent in some limits, because gravitational instabilities can lead to a concentration of energy density into black holes, for plane waves of the type Einstein and Rosen considered in their paper, the instabilities are under control. Einstein retracted this position a short time later, but until his death his collaborator Nathan Rosen maintained that gravitational waves are unstable.

1939: Einstein denied several times that black holes could form, the last time in print. He published a paper that argues that a star collapsing would spin faster and faster, spinning at the speed of light with infinite energy well before the point where it is about to collapse into a black hole. This paper received no citations, and the conclusions are well understood to be wrong. Einstein’s argument itself is inconclusive, since he only shows that stable spinning objects have to spin faster and faster to stay stable before the point where they collapse. But it is well understood today (and was understood well by some even then) that collapse cannot happen through stationary states the way Einstein imagined.
Old 03-10-2010
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 6

Pat, your talents and skills continue to amaze - I didn't know you were a student of Einstein!!
Old 03-10-2010
Grand Master

Oh Yeah... Now that I've got all his papers corrected... it's on to really important things... Like Skip Barber racing! Wikipedia makes us all Einteins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Subject View Post
Pat, your talents and skills continue to amaze - I didn't know you were a student of Einstein!!
Old 03-11-2010
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Well Pat, he fixed one of his mistakes in the information you posted

From the movie Einstein and Eddington (IMDB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Industrialist
- You are late.
Quote:
- I was invited precisely at the time I was supposed to arrive here, therefore it was impossible for me to be here when I left.
Quote:
- What?
Quote:
- The energy which an object has because of its motion will increase its mass. The increase in mass makes it harder for the object to increase its speed. Try as he might, the brilliant scientist setting to meet the fat industrialist was always going to be late.
Quote:
- If the sun were to disappear now, according to Isaac Newton and his laws of gravity, we feel it now. Instanteniously. The force of gravity moves faster than the speed of light. How can that be?
Quote:
- This is what I am paying for? What are you saying? W-W-What is he saying?
Quote:
- Thank you very much for all the money you're giving me. Goodbye.
Quote:
- This is the Einstein you speak so highly of?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Planck
- "Yes.
Quote:
- What does he offer us?
Quote:
- He has a truly original, probing mind.
Quote:
- Questions don't win wars.
Quote:
- You have plenty of scientists who can help you practically. He is a theorist.
Quote:
- What good is theory to me?
Quote:
- After two centuries, he might just prove Isaac Newton, the greatest ever English scientist, the man who set down the laws that describe the workings of the whole universe, wrong. That's what he can give us.
Old 03-11-2010
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

Wow! I am almost afraid to send a post to this box. We started with Denise McCluggage and moved to Einstein!

You guys are GOOD!
Old 03-11-2010
Grand Master

Lyubomir and Andor have been raising our game with all kinds of good information. Great having new enthusiastic members in addition to the usual suspects. Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE View Post
Wow! I am almost afraid to send a post to this box. We started with Denise McCluggage and moved to Einstein!

You guys are GOOD!
Old 03-11-2010
Big Dick
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? - Homer Simpson
Old 03-11-2010
Grand Master

"See the ball... Hit the ball... " - Pete Rose

"I've got a 15-year old son and a 10 year old daughter, and if the were going to do one of the following things: be an alcoholic; be a dug offender; beat their wife or husband; or gamble. I hope they would gamble." Also - Pete Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlippert View Post
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? - Homer Simpson

Tags
albert einstein , life lessons

Bookmark This Thread