Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 10-15-2004
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Exclamation John Edwards Wins Red Bull Driver Search

Congrats to an an awesome kid with huge talent and incredible personality!

PS - John, thanks for giving me something to add to my signature.

----

13-year-old wins Red Bull Driver Search

15/10/2004

John Edwards, from Little Rock, Arkansas has been selected as the winner in the 2004 Red Bull Driver Search after being selected in the final round, held at the Autodromo Fernanda Pires Da Silva circuit in Estoril, Portugal.

Edwards, who is all of thirteen years old, impressed the Red Bull judges with his dedication and potential after two days of fitness training at the Red Bull Diagnostics & Training Center in Thalgau, Austria and testing in Alan Docking Racing-prepared Formula 3 cars on the former Formula 1 race circuit.

All of the 2004 Finalists were coached by Colin Fleming, who was on hand for the event to set baseline times in the Formula 3 car and to help the finalists in the high-pressure environment.

The Red Bull Driver Search program aims to discover and support the 'diamond in the rough', lacking the knowledge and contacts needed to embark on a career in racing, as well as talented young drivers already in racing. The long-term goal is to have a steady group of three to six American drivers racing in Europe, groomed to break into Formula 1 and compete for the World Championship.

The Red Bull Driver Search is aimed at finding, funding, and nurturing American talent in the pursuit of the next American Formula 1 World Champion.

The Program has already shown remarkable success, with Scott Speed winning both the Eurocup and German Formula Renault Championships this season, and Red Bull Junior Teammate Colin Fleming taking Rookie of the Year honors in the German Championship and finishing second in points.

Edwards hopes to follow in their footsteps and make it to the pinnacle of the sport with Red Bull support.

Article from Pitpass (http://www.pitpass.com):

Published: 15/10/2004
Copyright © Pitpass 2002 - 2004. All rights reserved.
Old 10-15-2004
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Thumbs up John Edwards Gets 2005 Ride

OOPS! Didn't see Sydude's post, beat me by 3 minutes! I'll keep it here....

Skip racer John Edwards, the youngest driver to ever win an organized open wheel race in the USA (SBR Daytona 1/17/2004), has a paid ride with Red Bull for 2005 in a series yet to be determined.

He will be 13 years old............

Outstanding!

His website

Last edited by cdh; 10-15-2004 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-15-2004
Team OC/AD D

Additional Article about John in Pit Pass

Just came over via email from Michael Edwards-

About John Edwards

15/10/2004

It's worth noting that Pitpass first brought Red Bull Driver Search winner John Edwards to the attention of its readers, way back in January, when John won both rounds of the Skip Barber Formula Dodge Race Series, to become the youngest race winner in the history of the series and the youngest driver to win a single-seater race in the US, and possibly anywhere else. He was age 12 at the time!

If you check the original story, you'll see that one of John's wins was in the pouring rain.

At the time, several readers, including racing legend Vic Elford, wrote in wondering if the kid was something special or merely in the right place at the right time.

Seems like Mr, or should that be Master, Edwards is indeed very, very special.

We think we're going to be hearing a lot more about this youngster.

Article from Pitpass (http://www.pitpass.com):

Published: 15/10/2004
Copyright © Pitpass 2002 - 2004. All rights reserved.
Old 10-15-2004
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: John Edwards Wins Red Bull Driver Search

Unbelievable. Way to go John.
Old 10-15-2004
PointBy
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Thank God - another super-talented, 50 pound teenager not competiting against us!
Old 10-15-2004
Bavarian Berserk
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

I have him passing me for the lead in Alabama on video. It will become a part of the family album. Wow - this kid.

I am almost sad he won't be around to humiliate us any more in 2005.
Old 10-16-2004
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos
Thank God - another super-talented, 50 pound teenager not competiting against us!

LOL
Old 10-16-2004
Coaching little league
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Congrats John!

Great kid with a lot of talent...

Don't forget about us wannabes (or neverweres)!

:tomahawk
Old 10-18-2004
Team OC/AD D

From John's Father:

-----------------

In his own words . . .

I left for Europe on a Wednesday and got there on a Thursday – literally, a full day of travel! Then after just a few hours of rest at the hotel, we were told we were to go to the training center. What?! Fortunately, we were only doing some medical tests, nothing physical before we got a night's rest.

The first day we cycled. My program was a little different because of my age, and it involved more endurance than strength. They took our blood to monitor our lactic acid as it rose and fell.

On the second day, we ran on the treadmill. They once again monitored our lactic acids as they took our blood every 3 minutes.

From there we traveled to Portugal and got a little time to rest. The next day we went to the track for orientation. "Orientation" means walking the track, biking the track, and pouring our seats in preparation for the next two days of testing in Formula 3 cars.

The car was simply incredible. I was coming off of turn 4 on to the back straight and got wheelspin in third gear. Sure, this happens a little bit in the Skip Barber car and any other car as it goes over a rise, but this happened on flat ground, and I needed opposite lock to save it. I spent the rest of Day 1 adapting to the car and the track.

On Day 2, I spent the morning waiting. I didn't get to drive until after lunch because they put Colin Fleming in the car in the morning when the track was at its best. Then they put Matt Jaskol in the car. Then I got in the car and got right back into a rhythm. I drove a lot in the afternoon because the judges wanted to see how I improved. They watched how I responded to their feedback and how I translated it to the track.

Later I was told I had been chosen as a Red Bull Junior Driver for 2005. They told me I was to find a series for myself next year, and they would approve it. I'll be racing in the United States for next season and then in the German BMW ADAC series when I'm 15.

----

Such a great kid...
Old 10-19-2004
PointBy
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Sy - thanks for sharing this with us. Not sure if his farther keeps up with Team Juicy website but, if he is listening, as you can see we are all very, very proud of John, and proud for you. Though we are not necessarily shedding tears that John will not be competing against us next year, I know Team Juicy is one of his biggest supporters and is his unofficial fan club. Continue to keep us updated. Go John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude
From John's Father:

-----------------

In his own words . . .

I left for Europe on a Wednesday and got there on a Thursday – literally, a full day of travel! Then after just a few hours of rest at the hotel, we were told we were to go to the training center. What?! Fortunately, we were only doing some medical tests, nothing physical before we got a night's rest.

The first day we cycled. My program was a little different because of my age, and it involved more endurance than strength. They took our blood to monitor our lactic acid as it rose and fell.

On the second day, we ran on the treadmill. They once again monitored our lactic acids as they took our blood every 3 minutes.

From there we traveled to Portugal and got a little time to rest. The next day we went to the track for orientation. "Orientation" means walking the track, biking the track, and pouring our seats in preparation for the next two days of testing in Formula 3 cars.

The car was simply incredible. I was coming off of turn 4 on to the back straight and got wheelspin in third gear. Sure, this happens a little bit in the Skip Barber car and any other car as it goes over a rise, but this happened on flat ground, and I needed opposite lock to save it. I spent the rest of Day 1 adapting to the car and the track.

On Day 2, I spent the morning waiting. I didn't get to drive until after lunch because they put Colin Fleming in the car in the morning when the track was at its best. Then they put Matt Jaskol in the car. Then I got in the car and got right back into a rhythm. I drove a lot in the afternoon because the judges wanted to see how I improved. They watched how I responded to their feedback and how I translated it to the track.

Later I was told I had been chosen as a Red Bull Junior Driver for 2005. They told me I was to find a series for myself next year, and they would approve it. I'll be racing in the United States for next season and then in the German BMW ADAC series when I'm 15.

----

Such a great kid...
Old 10-19-2004
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos
Sy - thanks for sharing this with us. Not sure if his farther keeps up with Team Juicy website but, if he is listening, as you can see we are all very, very proud of John, and proud for you. Though we are not necessarily shedding tears that John will not be competing against us next year, I know Team Juicy is one of his biggest supporters and is his unofficial fan club. Continue to keep us updated. Go John!
Dave, I'm not sure if his Dad comes on the site, but 'our boy' Johnny is a member... Can you guess which one?
Old 10-19-2004

Gallery Images: 1

For the record, because there are so few other things about my driving to brag about, in May of this year I actually finished ahead of the young Mr. Edwards by five seconds (group 1, race 2). Goes to show that in racing almost anything can happen. Even then, six months ago (which is like almost half his life or something), I knew this was a results sheet that I should keep!
Congrats, John!
Old 10-20-2004
Team OC/AD D

USGP Article

Another article about John, thanks to Michael Edwards:

-----
Arkansas Driver Begins Possible Journey Toward USGP

John Edwards
by Paul Kelly
usgpindy.com

Monday, October 18, 2004

Red Bull Driver Search Site

Rising open-wheel racing standout John Edwards, 13, was selected as the winner of the 2004 Red Bull Driver Search after excelling in the final round of the competition earlier this month at Estoril, Portugal.

Edwards, from Little Rock, Ark., will compete in an open-wheel training formula next season with sponsorship from Red Bull.

He impressed Red Bull judges, including program director and 1985 Indianapolis 500 winner Danny Sullivan, with his dedication and potential after two days of fitness training at the Red Bull Diagnostics and Training Center in Austria and testing at Estoril in a British Formula 3 car prepared by standout team Alan Docking Racing.

Edwards made motorsports history in January at Daytona International Speedway when he won the Skip Barber Southern Race Series event on the DIS road course at age 12, becoming the youngest driver ever to win an open-wheel road race. He competed in the Skip Barber National Championship this season, finishing seventh.

The Red Bull Driver Search aims to find and groom young American talent for a chance to reach Formula One, including the United States Grand Prix at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Red Bull provides the search winners with a fully funded drive in European or North American road racing the following season.

Red Bull Driver Search winners Scott Speed and Colin Fleming produced superb seasons in Europe this year. Speed won the Eurocup and German Formula Renault titles, with Fleming earning Rookie of the Year honors in the German championship after finishing second to teammate Speed in points.

Old 11-08-2004
Almost a master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Chop Willie
For the record, because there are so few other things about my driving to brag about, in May of this year I actually finished ahead of the young Mr. Edwards by five seconds (group 1, race 2). Goes to show that in racing almost anything can happen. Even then, six months ago (which is like almost half his life or something), I knew this was a results sheet that I should keep!
Congrats, John!
I don't believe this garbage.

Haha...just kidding. Mabye you should be in the red bull program then instead of me...but then again, anything can happen: even my dad beat matt jaskol in a race at sebring...

-John Edwards
P.S. hope to see you all soon
Old 11-08-2004

Gallery Images: 1

Oh, I like that. Trash talking your seriously elder elders!
Old 11-08-2004
Almost a master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Chop Willie
Oh, I like that. Trash talking your seriously elder elders!
Well, I've seen other threads on the site, so I'm just trying to fit in! (since one of them is me in this smiley picture, just imagine a Coke instead of beer)

-John Edwards
Old 11-08-2004
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Yeah John, You fit in just fine here... Don't worry about dissin' your elders.

Probably fair to say most of us would prefer to be your age, in your racing shoes, with your racing future. :-)

So keep up the good work, and in about 30 years, when some kid not old enough to drink, smoke, or have a learners permit, starts doggin' you around a track that you thought you owned, you'll be able to smile, give 'em a point by and then come tell us about it by screaming into our hearing aids the next time you pay a visit to the TJR nursing home. (Gee, that wasn't quite as uplifting as I'd hoped it would be...)

Just keep taking care of business you young whippersnapper. Eat your vegetables, brush your teeth, go fast and be safe! :-)
Old 11-08-2004
Almost a master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
Just keep taking care of business you young whippersnapper. Eat your vegetables, brush your teeth, go fast and be safe! :-)
You forgot to tell me to clean behind my ears!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2004
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Oh right, of course... Checking my old guy book of racing quotes...

Ye Ol' Racing Codger Sez: "Be sure and clean behind your ears laddy and keep plenty o' those fuzzy Q-tips handy to clean inside 'em as well. That pesky wax buildup makes it harder to hear radio instructions from you crew chief, and the added unsprung weight between your ears only slows you down. Be gentle though... don't break an ear drum!"

Both words to live by, and more than you needed to know... :-)

Bookmark This Thread