Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 06-30-2012
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Videos America's Cup Racing

Not sure who might find this as exciting as I do, they have made yacht racing a spectator sport with close viewing at venues and simply awesome TV coverage - also live on YouTube. I was in Newport Wed & Thurs and all I can say is it was a thrilling spectacle to watch

http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasCup

Old 06-30-2012
tto-tgood
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
Re: America's Cup Racing

Great stuff Doug!!
Amazing how fast these are compared to the single hull AC yachts from before.
Old 07-02-2012
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

I didn't understand much about yacht racing beyond Wm. Buckley's likening it to standing fully clothed under a cold shower tearing up hundred dollar bills until we went to St. Martin. A guy on the Dutch side bought several 12? meter boats from the 1986 race, including two of Connor's boats. He lets tourists give him money to do mock races. The tourists are crew, of course, and when one guy didn't duck when he was told to, the captain said we couldn't pick him back up until after the race as crew couldn't leave the winches to minister to him. Nice touch, that.
How heavy (or light) are the new boats?
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 07-03-2012
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
I didn't understand much about yacht racing beyond Wm. Buckley's likening it to standing fully clothed under a cold shower tearing up hundred dollar bills until we went to St. Martin. A guy on the Dutch side bought several 12? meter boats from the 1986 race, including two of Connor's boats. He lets tourists give him money to do mock races. The tourists are crew, of course, and when one guy didn't duck when he was told to, the captain said we couldn't pick him back up until after the race as crew couldn't leave the winches to minister to him. Nice touch, that.
Make that thousand dollar bills. The vid below has info on the AC45 and is a good overview of the development of the next gen 72 foot Cup boats - I can't wait to watch these machines racing, talk about insane power, will be incredible seeing them battling the weather and each other in San Francisco Bay I must admit to being more than a little concerned these boats will be too much, they will def be dangerous.

We sailed on Stars & Stripes in one of those mock race in St Maartens, lots of fun. You can also do this on other vintage 12's in Newport, RI with our friend George Hill's company America's Cup Charters, highly recommended!

Old 07-03-2012
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Wish I could be a knowledgeable part of this conversation. Sailing is one of the things I've always wanted to do but never made the time. It is beautiful and powerful and natural and traces the history of man from the ancient Polynesians and Phoenicians.
Old 07-03-2012
administrationistperson

Come on up to CT and we'll go out for a few days exploring LI Sound, delightful.
Old 07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
Come on up to CT and we'll go out for a few days exploring LI Sound, delightful.
Oh sure. Invite HIM to go sailing. So what am I, chopped liver?
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 07-03-2012
administrationistperson

Quote:
Just ask...of course now you've blown it with the flipping of the birdicon

Anytime matie...must read this, one of the most hilarious sailing primers ever written. Thanks for the WFB nod also, a sailor of note and legend, this short article gives a taste of his ship-board attitude...and gives me some ideas on how to handle you as crew
“…the ketch battled twenty-foot waves and winds reaching 76 knots…The mainsail tore loose from its mast and had to be reeled in. The dinghy broke loose as lines whipped about the deck. During all this, I put life and limb at risk scampering perilously from stem to stern, fastening the rigging and wrestling with a temperamental mainsail. One would think at least one, just one of my five companions would be stirred to action but lo, they remained uselessly huddled below deck, fretting and praying for their scarcely-formed lives. Yes, I took – and take – full responsibility as the captain in charge, but I would have been completely within my rights to give the worthless bastards the old heave-ho – particularly as we were, mutatis mutandis, adrift in international waters. When the wind and rains abated, I ironically thanked them for their lack of help and offered up a calming round of drinks – to this day they remain blissfully unaware their gin was liberally commingled with bilge water, prompting an all-night chorus of heaving and diarrhea – let’s just say no one would have mistaken the violent intestinal voiding with the acappella stylings of my beloved Whiffenpoofs.”

Like private aviation, sailing is defined as hours of boredom interrupted by moments of stark terror...we're heading out shortly for a sail with the nieces and nephews then watching the Westport fireworks, no moments of terror expected, but then, they never are

Old 07-03-2012
G-force junkie

Quote:
We should all be chopped liver, pound-for-pound the most nutrient-rich part of the animal. It detoxifies an incredible number of chemicals never previously encountered in evolution (without it we'd all likely have succumbed to industrial pollution by now and global warming/climate change would be back in the hands of Mother Nature. ) And it has amazing regenerative capacity, you can lose 2/3 of it and it'll be back to normal size inside a week. Wish the rest of me would do that.

No, I believe the key point in my favor is that I'm nicer than you.
Old 07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
We should all be chopped liver, pound-for-pound the most nutrient-rich part of the animal. It detoxifies an incredible number of chemicals never previously encountered in evolution (without it we'd all likely have succumbed to industrial pollution by now and global warming/climate change would be back in the hands of Mother Nature. ) And it has amazing regenerative capacity, you can lose 2/3 of it and it'll be back to normal size inside a week. Wish the rest of me would do that.

No, I believe the key point in my favor is that I'm nicer than you.
?? I believe the liver only detoxifies when it's in running condition. Liverwurst is the culinary equivalent of jamming a cork in your arteries. Then there's the movie quote involving fava beans and chianti.
As to the 'nice' part, it's all about perspective, isn't it.
Let's all go for a sail and make Doug by the beer or whatever goes with a good pate.
Old 07-03-2012
G-force junkie

Quote:
?? I believe the liver only detoxifies when it's in running condition. Liverwurst is the culinary equivalent of jamming a cork in your arteries. Then there's the movie quote involving fava beans and chianti.
As to the 'nice' part, it's all about perspective, isn't it.
Let's all go for a sail and make Doug by the beer or whatever goes with a good pate.
OK, I admit, all good points.

But regardless of its merits, dubious or otherwise, pate has never been my bag. I say we stick with good ol' grass-fed steaks, a big bordeaux would be great, but in deference to our host perhaps a salty lassi or strong Turkish tea would do just as well, with a sweet finish of my mom's pecan pie. After an appropriate interval, the waning flavor notes could be further enhanced by a leisurely sampling of Cuba's finest. I think that would be a great evening.
Old 07-04-2012
administrationistperson

Quote:

But regardless of its merits, dubious or otherwise, pate has never been my bag. I say we stick with good ol' grass-fed steaks, a big bordeaux would be great, but in deference to our host perhaps a salty lassi or strong Turkish tea would do just as well
Image search = salty lassi
Results = disappointing

Old 07-04-2012

Quote:

But regardless of its merits, dubious or otherwise, pate has never been my bag. I say we stick with good ol' grass-fed steaks, a big bordeaux would be great, but in deference to our host perhaps a salty lassi or strong Turkish tea would do just as well, with a sweet finish of my mom's pecan pie. After an appropriate interval, the waning flavor notes could be further enhanced by a leisurely sampling of Cuba's finest. I think that would be a great evening.
I just hate it when people turn out to be waayyy classier than I. But I've learned to live with it. So when are we going?
Old 07-10-2012
tto-tgood
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Quote:
Interesting you mention this Old Red, I've done this St Maarten thing 3 times, twice on one of the former Conner yachts. They're stripped down some to save maintenance costs, the winches are 3 speed gearing rather than the multiple speed ones used in Perth, no spinnakers etc.. The first time we had some rough water with maybe 6 - 8 foot seas, and the Stars and Stripes just loves those conditions. All I can say is if you haven't tried it and find yourself in St Maarten, give it a try, its ablast, especially if there's some weather.

I share your concern with the 72's Doug, as fast as the 45's are, I can't imagine how they will handle a boat as big as the 72 with more speed still.
Old 07-11-2012
G-force junkie

Quote:
Image search = salty lassi
Results = disappointing

yeah, yeah, it's an acquired taste. But it works. It's hard to think of non-fermented beverages that deliver the kind of kick we're looking for in these situations.... maybe bhang is more your speed?

Quote:
I just hate it when people turn out to be waayyy classier than I. But I've learned to live with it. So when are we going?
Thanks for the compliment, but I'm just a working-class bloke who grew up under the lingering effects of the British urge to civilize Eastern savages by forcing them to watch cricket, take scones with tea, and believe that the day was not complete without a snifter of brandy. (no offence intended to my British friends-- humor, dudes) I wouldn't spring for a Margaux out of my own pocket if you had a Heckler & Koch at my head. Well, maybe then... but only then.

To answer your question, I think first we all have to get back into the good graces of the skipper. He seems to be key to this project.
Old 07-11-2012
administrationistperson

Quote:
yeah, yeah, it's an acquired taste. But it works. It's hard to think of non-fermented beverages that deliver the kind of kick we're looking for in these situations.... maybe bhang is more your speed?
I didn't expect pics of a beverage, Sire. More imagination needed me thinks

I see they understand proper govt stimulus spending

Quote:
I think first we all have to get back into the good graces of the skipper. He seems to be key to this project.
aye
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	ew-cdh2.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	4714  
Old 07-11-2012
G-force junkie

Quote:
I see they understand proper govt stimulus spending
Now that's funny.

Especially good shot of you. You look really happy. Makes me want to be out there right NOW.

Great pics, both of them. Poor bhang-purveyor seems to be intent on following regulations and not indulging in his own stock.

First pic= "Before", 2nd pic = "After"?
Old 07-16-2012
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom goodhart View Post
I share your concern with the 72's Doug, as fast as the 45's are, I can't imagine how they will handle a boat as big as the 72 with more speed still.
Is that fear, or respect, or both in his voice?

Old 07-17-2012
administrationistperson

oh my garshk....Kiwi 72 coming out party click to embiggen

Bookmark This Thread