Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 03-11-2012
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Videos We Stopped Dreaming

I could not agree with Dr Tyson more, I am elated and enraged watching this, well done.

Old 03-11-2012
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112
Re: We Stopped Dreaming

Here's one of Dr. Tyson's recent appearances on The Daily Show that confirms his vision, intelligence and sense of humor. There are other appearances available as he's been a long time guest on the show.

Old 03-11-2012
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

You really didn't want to get me started on this, did you? There are no heros. The government is the new hero.
Don't forget to vote in November. And if you wonder what a second term will be like, just look at California now. But I'm tired of saying this over and over. One more dead dream. Sad.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 03-11-2012
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

The point wasn't to stir the political pot... Just to show a really smart guy with an undimmed perspective on the universe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
You really didn't want to get me started on this, did you? There are no heros. The government is the new hero.
Don't forget to vote in November. And if you wonder what a second term will be like, just look at California now. But I'm tired of saying this over and over. One more dead dream. Sad.
Old 03-12-2012
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 14

Thanks Pat... Just two weeks ago..

Old 03-12-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Seing the former vice chairman of GM not believing in global warming makes me understand a lot of things about american cars
I have a hard time understanding why the US are always so suspicious about so many things... Global warming, creationism, christianism in general...etc etc. I don't see how the US could keep their place as one of the wealthiest, most innovative and somewhat free country, if these dogmas are still so present in american society.
The entire principle of progress, mean being able to question what we believe is true... The last developped country where religion keeps on growing for exemple is the US... That goes in total opposite of this theory...
Anyway, I'm really looking forward and am somewhat scared of the upcomming elections... I don't think the US will be able to handle 4 other years of very rightist and religious governing, with all the wars and social problems that will follow...
Old 03-12-2012
administrationistperson

Uh boy, my thinking when posting was more in line with this Clemen's quote.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

I mean let's face it, if the editor left out the shots of O, this vid would impart a different reaction, obviously. I wish he had, it would have been more effective to flash clips of every POTUS and CONGRESS since LBJ, none are without blame, none of them. His message is the same though, and his anger at our wasteful, corrupt, mismanaged government (going back decades OK?) is clear.

Here are Dr Tyson's remarks at the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation hearing on the future of our space program from which some of We Stopped Dreaming was derived. What I find disturbing is the attendance, look at all those empty seats, was he pleading to an empty room? Still looking for that answer.

On the usual double standards of Stewart -

"How else have these proposals been received?
An interesting contrast is how Gingrich's moon base proposal and Tyson's proposal to double the NASA budget have been received. For example, late night comedian Jon Stewart laid into Gingrich's proposal soon after it was made. But when Stewart received Tyson on his show, upon hearing his proposal to double NASA's budget, proposed the astrophysicist be elected president. Tyson, incidentally, has expressed support for Gingrich's moon base goal." source

Glad to see Stewart used his valuable time with Dr Tyson talking about cheese sandwiches.

This could go back and forth for days, is there anyone who doesn't want to see a rekindling of our ability to "Explore. Dream. Discover" in our exploration of space? Dr Tyson's impassioned appeal rings true in my mind. Cut the waste, fraud and corruption in all govt agencies, we can afford it, I think that is at the core of his message.

Last edited by cdh; 03-12-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2012
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavien View Post
... I don't think the US will be able to handle 4 other years of very rightist and religious governing, with all the wars and social problems that will follow...
Oldred, you want to do this or should I? Good grief, where do you live Flavien?
Old 03-12-2012

I'm french, but I live in Quebec (Montreal) right now
Used to live in SF and Seattle from late 2004 until early 2009...
Old 03-12-2012
somewhere out there

What's the difrerence between Tyson and Gingrich when it comes to space stuff? Beyond just the obvious clues?

Tyson wants to double NASA's budget (I'd trim a bunch off defense and split it equally between debt, social entiltements, and NASA), Gingrich thinks not only are we going to have a moon base up and running within 8 years but it will have enough people to qualify for statehood.

Ignoring the small problems that President Newton is expecting about 20,000 colonists when you need in the hundreds of thousands to apply to be a state, and the small issue of international agreements governing not claiming any territory in space as a national expansion.

We got lucky with planting our flag there, lets not get greedy
Old 03-12-2012

What ever happened to debate here in the 21st century? First, we're talking about the death of space exploration. I saw Pat's vid as the death of heros in general and the vision of our country in particular. Then Christianity is called a dogma which enlightened people should have outgrown by now and global warming is science which Bill Mahar says you are stupid if you question. Bill f_____g Mahar? You walk your dogma and I'll walk mine.

Oh. Have a nice day.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 03-12-2012
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Wow. What the heck happened to this thread? Doug posts a great vid by probably the most eloquent scientist on the planet speaking to what he sees as a lack of vision and desire for new knowledge in this country, and we STILL end up talking about politics and religion?

Science is exploration. It is being dissatisfied with knowledge as it is, questioning everything, and performing rigorous tests of reality under high standards of data gathering in order to find answers and solve problems. The America of the 20th century embraced science, technology, and smart industry like no other country before. All the factories in Brazil, Japan and China, all the business processing centers in India, the generic drug makers in Israel, the oil rigs in Russia and the Mideast, were built with American-developed principles and know-how. We knew what we wanted, we accepted that it would take real work, we rolled up our sleeves, and got to it, because we had a vision for what COULD be tomorrow. The ethic is still around today--"it's not dead yet!"--but like Doug and Professor Tyson, I see it slipping away.
Old 03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
I saw Pat's vid as the death of heros in general and the vision of our country in particular.
And what I saw in these videos is the deliberate will of some people (Mr Lutz here) to ignore facts, even when put in front of them... I compared it with religion because some people seem to react similarily to either debate, and it's a type of reaction I have for now only seen among some american friends... Which is why I question and interrogate myself on these two opposite behavior... Being capable of going on the moon and changing our world's daily life on one side, and on the other, not being willing to see and accept climate change caused by us... As far as dogmas go, the main difference with religion is that I'm all about being proven wrong...
I'm not willing to enter into an internet debate with pages of statistics and evolution of temperature throughout the world here and there. But I do firmly believe that the human being, it's industries and global pollution are entirely responsible for the flora and fauna of our planet desappearing throughout the recent years, whether it is by exessive industrial pollution, deforestation or exessive consumption of energy...
The only thing that changed in the past 3000 years is us and what we have been doing during the past 150 years... Our planet reacts to it...

And please, calm down... no need to be agressive to answer me, I'm only sharing my thougts on a subject we are only not agreeing with

Last edited by Flavien; 03-12-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2012
administrationistperson

Shhhhhhhhhh
Old 03-13-2012
G-force junkie

Superb......
Old 03-13-2012

Gallery Images: 14

Beautiful... And thanks Doug for starting the thread.. I mistakenly overlooked you when I thanked Pat earlier..
Old 03-13-2012
administrationistperson

BTW, the final shot is the sunset.......on Mars
Old 03-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcote View Post
Beautiful... And thanks Doug for starting the thread.. I mistakenly overlooked you when I thanked Pat earlier..
Huh. I did the same thing. I reacted to Doug's vid. Then I reacted to the hijack. I must stop skipping my meds. I'll still be right but it's better for my blood pressure.
Old 03-13-2012
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
I think you just blew my mind.
Old 03-13-2012
Burger Flipper #2

Gallery Images: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
I think you just blew my mind.
mine too
Old 03-13-2012
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Quote:
amazing video
both of them

that shot, what was the video source? CGI or rendered from the mars probes?
Old 03-13-2012
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
that shot, what was the video source? CGI or rendered from the mars probes?
Real deal, time-lapsed, from one of the Rovers, not sure which one. Saw that clip on one of the MANY shows I watch on the universe, science, space exploration, etc etc etc, so many good ones on these days, look awesome in HD. The colors are reversed on Mars, red sky during the day, turns blue to indigo at sunset.
Old 03-13-2012
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Quote:
Real deal, time-lapsed, from one of the Rovers, not sure which one. Saw that clip on one of the MANY shows I watch on the universe, science, space exploration, etc etc etc, so many good ones on these days, look awesome in HD. The colors are reversed on Mars, red sky during the day, turns blue to indigo at sunset.
that is so cool
i just cant even believe it
Old 03-18-2012
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10

Wow. Just plugged into this thread and watched the vids. wow.

"Nothing good has ever been reported about the full rotation of a race car about either its pitch or roll axis." ~ Carroll Smith
Old 03-27-2012
Burger Flipper #2

Gallery Images: 4

Some are still dreaming
http://www.ted.com/talks/regina_duga...ird_drone.html
Old 03-27-2012

Would that we could get the diversity people to see "the most important fact'. What a great place this would be. Thanks Doug. Nice.

And Rob!!! Thanks for Regina Dugan. We all used to think like that. How refreshing, especially for those of us who have our heads stuck in the op-ed pages. She was like breathing air after being underwater just a little too long.

Last edited by oldredracer; 03-27-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2012
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslonaker View Post
Some are still dreaming
DARPA is an interesting entity, would like to know what they're doing they can't tell us about.
Their 2012 budget of $2.8 billion is a mere rounding error in the invisible budget, money well spent imo, thanks Rob, good one.

Posted this a while back on FB, amazing. I can imagine this tech eventually morphing into improving mobility for many people,
or winning the Kentucky Derby
Old 03-28-2012
administrationistperson

Forgot to add, where are the Gecko Feet Racing Tires?? Can you imagine? Cornering loads blow the suspension right off the car

On a real-world idea, could that tech make incredibly grippy wet/snow tires?
Old 03-31-2012
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslonaker View Post
Thanks very much for posting that Rob-- amazing talk.

Yes, thankfully, some people continue to dream--this is SO COOL:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17557581

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Forgot to add, where are the Gecko Feet Racing Tires?? Can you imagine? Cornering loads blow the suspension right off the car

On a real-world idea, could that tech make incredibly grippy wet/snow tires?
I think we're going to see more and more of bio-mimicry type innovations just as you describe, because we finally are developing the nanoscale analysis and fabrication ability required for the fractal-based organization that the natural world employs in its solutions.

Bookmark This Thread