Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 10-23-2012
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

The automotive equivalent of John Bolton??

They used to call this 'telling it like it is', but it made the writer a little huffy, don'tcha think?

http://gm-volt.com/2009/09/03/audi-n...ar-for-idiots/
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 10-23-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: The automotive equivalent of John Bolton??

I'm sure Johan thinks he's clever, but he doesn't make sense. Or idiot translates differently into "European". He says "car for idiots", but then describes it as a car for "pretentious snobs". But that describes all alternative fuel vehicles at this point, they're just not economically feasible yet*. That goes for Prius owners and Highlander Hybrid and LX300 Hybrid owners too. Have you met one that doesn't get a semi-chubby from their smugness? Not that they're bad people...

I like this quote: "for the intellectual elite who want to show what enlightened souls they are.” That can be said for Audi buyers too. I think a good chunk of Audi buyers buy Audi because they're "dick enough" to own a BMW, but buy Audi because they want to show how "individual" they are... Not that they're bad people or bad cars...

*They just installed a free EV charging station right outside my office, so I could get free parking AND free fuel. I'd be an idiot not to take up that deal. Especially when GM releases the stylish ELR: http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/16/auto...olt/index.html
Old 10-23-2012
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

"Jul 31, 2012 - Audi Group generates first-half operating profit of €2.9 billion €25.0 billion revenue, an operating profit of €2.9 billion, and an 11.5 percent operating return on sales. These figures demonstrate how the Audi Group succeeded in adding yet another chapter to its success story in the first half of the year, despite weaker economic growth and the contraction of many car markets."

Right, he clearly has no idea what he's doing...
Old 10-23-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Well, I never said he didn't know what he was doing, only something was lost in translation.

But I'm also not going to attribute Audi's success to the boss of N.A. sales. We're about 10-12% of global sales for Audi, which is still about 60% of global BMW sales (but gaining), so while the that snippet from an Audi press release sounds great, its only part of the picture. And if Johan wants to put it on his resume, he probably should, but I doubt the head of VW will give a crap when he decides his bonus. (As long as he hits internal targets...)

Did you read what the N.A. boss of BMW said about the Volt, or the 3-series, or the Camry, or whatever? I like his style. (If only they could pen an attractive car.)

I am a fan of Audi, and free speech!

sorry, Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...ales-race.html

Last edited by rsr427; 10-23-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: source added

Bookmark This Thread