Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2006
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: John Greist on the New Skippy Car

John I am sorry for getting off the main topic here but noticed you mentioned Lead follow which I am going to do at LR. You also mentioned without radios. I assumed (obviously incorrectly) radios were used. Do you believe this L-F method is one which can accelerate the learning curve and is worth while?
I wish I had more to add re. the new Skip cars...I just read what you the experienced people say and sit back and learn from your suggestions.
Old 06-26-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr922
John I am sorry for getting off the main topic here but noticed you mentioned Lead follow which I am going to do at LR. You also mentioned without radios. I assumed (obviously incorrectly) radios were used. Do you believe this L-F method is one which can accelerate the learning curve and is worth while?
Lead-follow was good without radios, it's just better with them. Without, you watch what the leader is doing and that helps a lot. After the session, he tells you what you could do differently. With, it happens real time so acclerates the learning curve.
Old 06-26-2006

Thank you John
Old 06-26-2006

I have to echo what John said about lead/follow with radios. I've done a lot of l/f with and w/o radios and I would say that with is 50% better with. It is a bit of a gripe of mine that Skippy charges 1700 bucks to do l/f and doesn't provide radios. I finally punted and bought my own, which isn't cheap. It is that much better. Tom Roberts
Old 06-27-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Completely agree radio feedback is the way to go and should be the standard.
Old 06-27-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Cheap alternative - I always have my (cheap) radio (receiver) in the car with me and make sure the instructors know - most of the time, they give me real time feedback corner-by-corner depending on how busy they are...(me and several others who did this in Sportsman West). Generally speaking, they make a great effort to give that "real time" feedback.

As always - to the great credit of the instructors - in our last Laguna Race I had Grant Ryley, Tommy Fogarty, JonnyMo and Jeff Rodrigues not only coaching me, but pushing me....Fogarty even got me re-focused after I ran up/over someone (left some BFG rubber on their rear wing..) and still got 5th.

if you can listen, process and drive...it works. (I'm not saying I can do it, but I try)
Old 06-27-2006

I called SBR to check on the availability of the radios and mentioned I had the opportunity to use them at WG with Jim Pace. They have indicated he'll be at LR for the LF so I'll assume we can use them again. Thanks for all the input and sorry for taking this new car thread in a different direction
Old 06-27-2006
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

i believe that those radios actually belong to jim pace. if you do lf with jim pace, you should give him some extra money for the use of the radios.
Old 06-27-2006

will do! Thank you all again for your suggestions
Old 06-27-2006
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

I believe Jim charges a premium for use of the radios and the world class driver speaking into them. Don't know how it will shake out with other instructors when they get their own or use yours.

Al, Big smiles on the real time race feedback. Love it. Yes, could be a distraction for some but would be worth a try if you've got enough seat time to not be thrown off by it. Good stuff.

BTW not suggesting listening to race chatter equals the value of a lead follow session with or without radio's. Two different animals. A lead follow is a serious learning tool. Listening to race chatter is a novelty that may yield side benefits.
Old 06-27-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
I believe Jim charges a premium for use of the radios and the world class driver speaking into them. Don't know how it will shake out with other instructors when they get their own or use yours.
Jim has his own radios and does charge a premium which is excellent value from my perspective. Hate to confess, but I've crashed twice following him - trying to ruin his reputation - but not since he's added radios. He usually says "brake lighter, later" to me and "BRAKE HARDER, EARLIER" to Revere...not really. Looking forward to doing lead-follow this weekend at RA with Greg Borland and Jason Holehouse as well as Jim. That pretty much sums up what I think it's worth.

Carrying over from a thread on REDUCING costs of running the series, I concluded: One money maker for SBR that's well worth the price is lead-follow. We spend seasons on our own getting better gradually and often being confused and discouraged. A session of lead-follow brings us up our optimal learning curve. Even without radios lead-follow is worthwhile; with radios, it's a real-time religious experience.<!-- / message -->
Old 07-10-2006
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995
Re: Lead/Follow Sessions & the Use of Two-Way Radios

This is a closed copy for the Technique/Instruction forum. Please use the original open thread for discussion purposes:

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=1480
Closed Thread

Bookmark This Thread