Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 12-06-2009
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
Solutions to the Point of Diminishing Returns

So, after my third race weekend at Road Atlanta last month, I’ve had some time to reflect. Overall, I’d say that it was a success. I had two, event free races with some pretty good competition; possibly some of the most exciting racing yet and a PB to boot. In second practice, I was within a second of my competition (i.e. not Dennis!) when an off-track excursion took the edge of my risk tolerance and I had to back off a bit. However, after studying lap times, looking at video and really analyzing my performance, I must concede that overall I was no faster then last year. That’s disappointing. Fun is fun but I want faster fun!

So here’s something to chew on:

I believe every racer’s maximum performance is defined at any point by, at least: 1. Physical parameters (car, track); 2. Innate talent / ability; 3. Risk tolerance; 4. Resources (time and money); 5. Study and preparation. The first and second are fixed. The third is a function of the fourth, and for most, the fourth is fixed, therefore, so is three. That leaves study and preparation. Now we finally arrive at the point! I’m interested to hear how some of you have made the most of what you have, the trade secrets of aspiring professionals notwithstanding. How do you wring the absolute most out of what you have? Where have you found tenths of event seconds through crafty, cleaver use of relatively limited seat time?

Thanks! gdr
Old 12-06-2009
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815
Re: Solutions to the Point of Diminishing Returns

A very very simplified answer:

1. Use of in-car video camera every session, every car, every series.

2. Use of data acquisition when practical.

3. Work with all the talented coaches you can, that's everyone at Skip Barber, but also coaches you might meet outside the family who work for IndyCar teams, Atlantic teams, etc. They love to talk about what they do, and are seriously good at it. Many graduated from Skippy before moving on to pro teams.

4. Keeping an open mind and accepting feedback. Filter some of it, but always an open mind.

5. Mandate gradual increases in risk tolerance. Even with no money (I never had a good budget), you can increase risk tolerance with very calculated choices. The money issue can be managed so long as your tolerance moves gradually.

6. Preparation is not just track study. It's taking care of your body. Sleep, exercise, good food, love, friends, a good job. All very important to good performance on the track.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 12-07-2009
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

All that Gerardo says plus observing what those who you respect and are faster than you are doing on track. Going out to corners and observing where the fast drivers brake, shift and get back to throttle can teach you a lot. What line on track are the fast guys using vs everyone else? What sets them apart? You may not be able to do that yet (and should work up to it gradually) but at least you'll see and eventually understand what is posssible. Go out to the important corners on any track when the computer car drivers or Jason Holehouse is on track. You'll see those cars at the limit of what they are capable of and it won't cost you anything to watch. Going out to corners with instructors is even better as they'll most likely be able to see and articulate the nuance of what is happening better than you will at this point and every instructor is different so embrace the variations in points of view and your database of knowledge will dramatically increase while your laptimes decrease.
Old 12-07-2009
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 14

+1 on Gerardo and Pat. also about observing those that are faster.. Car testing is another good time for that. You know those half day lapping days that are usually used for car equalization testing on the open part of that day??? Alot of people don't realize that can be very beneficial for someone in a position such as yourself. You can usually move around to different corners easily and watch some of the best and fastest drivers in those cars, and ALSO with very little other traffic on track. That way you can really hear even the more subtle pedal work. There's alot of peple that don't realize what value can be wrung form that experience, even after they just got done with their lapping, and then they pack up and leave with questions about what and how they could do things better/differently, all the while there's is a "tutorial" going on on track during testing. best of all it's FREE, and as usual, the instructors are more than eager to answer your questions.
See something out there you didn't think of or notice before?? Ask the tester when he has free minute. Then go and watch them execute it.
Also. seat time, seat time, seat time. It's been said alot here before, but seat time in almost anything. A kart, a dirt bike, whatever. I just got back into dirt biking after a 15 year absensce and it definitely keeps me sharp. Since then, on the RARE occasion when I do get the chance to get in a car on track, I'm just as fast or faster as I ever have been. At least once I calm down my sliding around.. Even wrestling and sliding a 50 something HP, 270lb + bike through the woods and dirt roads at 20-90MPH translates to four wheels on pavement. As said, karts are even closer and probally more beneficial for most people.

Most of all don't get discouraged. Have fun, ask questions. Remember, 90% of being fast and consistent is mental.
Old 12-07-2009

Gallery Images: 8

Where is Maha Harsha when you need him - I know, off to Mother India to get in touch with his inner karma. He really raised his game this year. Didn't he write a season ending recap of his analysis of the changes he made?
Old 12-08-2009

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffDogRacer View Post
However, after studying lap times, looking at video and really analyzing my performance, I must concede that overall I was no faster then last year.
There is more than one way to measure improvement. In golf, which I got better at than I have so far with this obsession, I found that my bad shots were less wayward as I improved. The scores did not come down at first, but they did when I was willing to try shots that I could not have pulled off in earlier days before I improved.

Rather than looking merely at fastest laps, ask whether you are driving better lines, having slow laps that are still faster than your former slow laps, getting up to speed earlier in your sessions, driving more consistently, etc. You may see that you in fact have improved and are actually ready to go faster than you previously have allowed yourself to do. (I am proficient at finding a comfort level and repeating it endlessly. My goal, among others for next year, is to explore boundaries.) You are an engineer by training, and that exhibits itelf in your thinking. Perhaps it influences your driving too. Look for patterns, not merely bottom lines.
Old 12-08-2009
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

you left out #6 - desire. simply who wants it the most.
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek." Mario Andretti
Old 12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
A very very simplified answer:

1. Use of in-car video camera every session, every car, every series.

2. Use of data acquisition when practical.

3. Work with all the talented coaches you can, that's everyone at Skip Barber, but also coaches you might meet outside the family who work for IndyCar teams, Atlantic teams, etc. They love to talk about what they do, and are seriously good at it. Many graduated from Skippy before moving on to pro teams.

4. Keeping an open mind and accepting feedback. Filter some of it, but always an open mind.

5. Mandate gradual increases in risk tolerance. Even with no money (I never had a good budget), you can increase risk tolerance with very calculated choices. The money issue can be managed so long as your tolerance moves gradually.

6. Preparation is not just track study. It's taking care of your body. Sleep, exercise, good food, love, friends, a good job. All very important to good performance on the track.
A simplified response... with much insight. Thanks Gerardo. Items 5 and 6 are especially thought provoking. You, and other instructors, have helped me read a track and decide where pushing the envelope can be done with indemnity... and where discretion is the better path (RAtl T12, for instance! ). I do also understand that having the skills necessary to recover a bad situation needs to be a focus early on, especially for those of us brand new to racing (i.e. starting with Skip). I read Item 6 as spiritual, physical, mental and emotional balance... pursuit of any one of which is a lifetime journey; there's one HUGE piece that I just realized I've been missing at the track. Thanks for the wakeup call.
Old 12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
All that Gerardo says plus observing what those who you respect and are faster than you are doing on track. Going out to corners and observing where the fast drivers brake, shift and get back to throttle can teach you a lot. What line on track are the fast guys using vs everyone else? What sets them apart? You may not be able to do that yet (and should work up to it gradually) but at least you'll see and eventually understand what is posssible. Go out to the important corners on any track when the computer car drivers or Jason Holehouse is on track. You'll see those cars at the limit of what they are capable of and it won't cost you anything to watch. Going out to corners with instructors is even better as they'll most likely be able to see and articulate the nuance of what is happening better than you will at this point and every instructor is different so embrace the variations in points of view and your database of knowledge will dramatically increase while your laptimes decrease.
Thanks Dalyduo (isn't it "trio" now?). Anyhow... I've done some of all what you suggest here; Observing and listening are like seat time (only free, as you point out) in the sense that it's small bits accumulated over time that make up the whole. A work-in-progress one might say.
Old 12-08-2009

[QUOTE=rcote;34928 Car testing is another good time for that. You know those half day lapping days that are usually used for car equalization testing on the open part of that day??? Alot of people don't realize that can be very beneficial for someone in a position such as yourself.

Most of all don't get discouraged. Have fun, ask questions. Remember, 90% of being fast and consistent is mental.[/QUOTE]

Another good reason to get to the track early. Unfortunately, I've been crimped on time the last couple of event weekends. I do follow this advice, however, when I'm there. RB in the Esses at Road Atlanta is just plain fun to watch, in addition to being informative. Something like, "Wow, how the hell did he do that?"...

And thanks for the reminder!

To Ted's point - My times are more consistent. I'm more comfortable in the car. And, I'm better at bailing myself out in a pinch.

As for desire - I couldn't agree more. And, like most all that frequent this site, this is why I'm pecking away at the computer while thinking about how to do something better that I won't have a chance to do for another two months!

Thanks for all of the responses, guys. This is a truley altruistic group and I'm proud to be a part of the Skippy fraternity. Now who is going to teach me how to quote multiple responses in a single entry!
Old 12-08-2009

http://www.toolsforwinning.com/

I think Mike and Nick will do a great job.
Old 12-09-2009

If fear of a big crash damage bill is holding you back, one way to step up the risk level gradually (as per Gerardo's post) is to run races at tracks that have lots of runoff room. Although EVERY track has one or two places where you can write off a car with one stupid mistake, some places, such as Mosport or Watkins Glen will bite you just about anywhere you make a mistake, whereas tracks such as Homestead, VIR or Barber Motorsports park have quite a few places where you can go off big time and collect nothing but some grass clippings and/or loose gravel. After you've gotten comfortable pushing limits in a relatively safe environment, and gain confedence that you understand the car well enough to detect and correct small mistakes before they become big ones (and have the ability to anticipate how the car is likely to react as you get closer to the edge), you'll find that you can go back to a relatively intimidating place like Road Atlanta and go faster, because you've gained confidence in your ability to take care of yourself closer to the limit.
Old 12-09-2009

Gallery Images: 8

Hey Paul, Sounds to me like you are doing just fine. Seat time and the desire to improve will get you where you want to be assuming you make the right choices and listen to the coaches at SBRs. I have been befuddled and frustrated at times by wanting to get better at various times since I started. I find that being patient, having fun, and listening to those with the most experience and success eventually helped me to get that much better and sooner.

Do not lose sight of the fun part. After all that is what this is about for most of us. For those lucky enough to have started early and made a living at this they will likely tell you that they are having a blast as well.

Refocus your goal and you will find it will all come and you will have an amazing ride along the way.
Old 12-10-2009

PT - Thanks for the insights. I found CMP to be a forgiving track to let it hang out a bit more. I had a fun day practicing in the rain there in October for that very reason.

Chris, Good to hear from you and thanks for the encouragement... as usual. I hope to see you soon (Sebring perhaps?).
Old 12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Edwards View Post
http://www.toolsforwinning.com/

I think Mike and Nick will do a great job.
Thanks for the tip, Doc.
Old 12-11-2009
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Trio is my soon to be 17 year old daughter Julia.
Quote:
Thanks Dalyduo (isn't it "trio" now?). Anyhow... I've done some of all what you suggest here; Observing and listening are like seat time (only free, as you point out) in the sense that it's small bits accumulated over time that make up the whole. A work-in-progress one might say.
Old 12-14-2009
Burger Flipper #2

Gallery Images: 4

Paul,
Change your perception of #2. I don't believe that innate talent/ability are fixed. If so, what is the point of going on?
This is what you are really developing. Driving a car is much like any other physical skill. We all have the potential to do the mechanical motions as good as anyone else. It is the control of the mechanical motion that is what needs development. That control is the brain and how it interprets the information. Driving the lap is all about a series of events that you have to mechanically perform at a predetermined pace since the track is a fixed element. (aside from weather, that is) Understanding what you need to do at every point on the track is key. When the plan gets a little off, adjustments are needed. Perfecting the plan at a pace you can handle is what practice is all about. As you get better at execution of the plan, the pace can be increased. If the execution gets sloppy, back off the pace and get accurate again. Be ready to adapt to the result of mistakes and have enough skills to deal with those mistakes. Those skills, car control, can be practiced in other ways. Autocross, skid pad, etc. Use experience, past mistakes not fixed correctly, to better deal with them in the future.
Simulation is very helpful for the perfection of the plan, as long as you do it perceptively, and it cost a lot less.
I would recommend get some car control seat time, lot's of it if you can.
Cheers
Old 12-28-2009

Quote:
So, after my third race weekend at Road Atlanta last month, I’ve had some time to reflect. Overall, I’d say that it was a success. I had two, event free races with some pretty good competition; possibly some of the most exciting racing yet and a PB to boot. In second practice, I was within a second of my competition (i.e. not Dennis!) when an off-track excursion took the edge of my risk tolerance and I had to back off a bit. However, after studying lap times, looking at video and really analyzing my performance, I must concede that overall I was no faster then last year. That’s disappointing. Fun is fun but I want faster fun!

So here’s something to chew on:

I believe every racer’s maximum performance is defined at any point by, at least: 1. Physical parameters (car, track); 2. Innate talent / ability; 3. Risk tolerance; 4. Resources (time and money); 5. Study and preparation. The first and second are fixed. The third is a function of the fourth, and for most, the fourth is fixed, therefore, so is three. That leaves study and preparation. Now we finally arrive at the point! I’m interested to hear how some of you have made the most of what you have, the trade secrets of aspiring professionals notwithstanding. How do you wring the absolute most out of what you have? Where have you found tenths of event seconds through crafty, cleaver use of relatively limited seat time?

Thanks! gdr

I would say this thread has been excellent to read.
I have to say i especially agree to the listening to feedback from a lot of different people.
it has certainly helped me.
For me - this is what is so awesome about SB, I have learned so much from so many different people about so many different aspects of racing, that I just cannot believe it.

i want to add that visualization is another technique that can really help.
I thought it was silly at first, but i visualize now every day. I visual the last race weekend that i was just at all the time, even though it was 3 weeks ago.
It allows me to correct mistakes and lock in 'good stuff'

Greg
Old 01-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslonaker View Post
Paul,
Change your perception of #2. I don't believe that innate talent/ability are fixed. If so, what is the point of going on?
This is what you are really developing. Driving a car is much like any other physical skill. We all have the potential to do the mechanical motions as good as anyone else. It is the control of the mechanical motion that is what needs development. That control is the brain and how it interprets the information. Driving the lap is all about a series of events that you have to mechanically perform at a predetermined pace since the track is a fixed element. (aside from weather, that is) Understanding what you need to do at every point on the track is key. When the plan gets a little off, adjustments are needed. Perfecting the plan at a pace you can handle is what practice is all about. As you get better at execution of the plan, the pace can be increased. If the execution gets sloppy, back off the pace and get accurate again. Be ready to adapt to the result of mistakes and have enough skills to deal with those mistakes. Those skills, car control, can be practiced in other ways. Autocross, skid pad, etc. Use experience, past mistakes not fixed correctly, to better deal with them in the future.
Simulation is very helpful for the perfection of the plan, as long as you do it perceptively, and it cost a lot less.
I would recommend get some car control seat time, lot's of it if you can.
Cheers
Thanks Rob. It's been a while since I checked back on this thread (and it's not so obvious when replies are posted anymore since I don't get an email). I appreciate the challenge of my mental model. In reflection, I understand that what I brought to the sport may have been seen or described as some level of natural ability, but was more so the result of many years pushing street cars to the limits in various conditions... legal or not! (i.e. Mom's Volare station wagon on dirt roads at age 13! ). I can validate from water skiing and mountain biking much of what you describe above, at a higher skill level.

See you at Sebring - ink me in for a L-F early on... I got Skippy $$$ for Christmas and it's buring a hole in my pocket!
Old 02-17-2010

To close the loop on this thread after last weekend at Sebring, I took a lot of your advice and it worked well. Here's what I did:
  1. Obtained in-car video of someone running laps at 2:28, compared and contrasted to my own videos and looked for big gaps;
  2. Reviewed computer car data from last year, overlapped the data this showed me with that above, and created a plan of attack;
  3. Participated in Gerardo's video conference the night before I left for Florida, took extensive notes and used these to mentally prepare during the drive down. I literally drove hundreds of visualized laps, thinking through the pointers that Gerardo had offered;
  4. Started out of the shoot with a lead-follow session with Rob Slonaker. Used video from this to mentally imprint what Rob offered over the radio during the session;
  5. Recorded each session and reviewed it while considering the feedback the instructors had provided that session;
  6. Set up to follow drivers that were faster then me during each session;
  7. Went out to the corners and watched testers, took notes and attempted to emulate (to the level of my ability).
Although I had done some or most of this in the past, using this integrated approach to define a very specific plan of attack created a very different environment at the track.

Thanks again for all of the feedback, fellow TJRs. It was great to see some of you at the track last weekend. And, I hope to see others soon.

gdr
Old 02-17-2010

All great advice...You have a great work ethic, but DON'T FORGET TO HAVE FUN !!! ...Focus on what you can control: your performance, not things you cannot control: results.....
Old 02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp56 View Post
All great advice...You have a great work ethic, but DON'T FORGET TO HAVE FUN !!! ...Focus on what you can control: your performance, not things you cannot control: results.....
Thanks John. From following your career, I'd say you're well qualified to dispense such advice. You do appear to have fun. And, that really is my goal. What's not visible from the post above is the ear-to-ear smile I had most all weekend (at least internally). Getting the car to do close to what I want it to, turn by turn, is fun regardless of the result. Heck, it's all fun. Studying, strategizing, talking about it, watching others... I wouldn't have predicted, however, that so many life lessons could be learned at the track. You have essentially paraphrased Harsha's candid feedback following my R2 incident. I get it. And this is a philosophy I subscribe to in (most) all aspects of life.
Old 02-17-2010
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Great points from Gerardo, truly a student of driving race cars. After 40 years of doing this, allow me to offer my perspective. Prior to joining SBR in '84 - 25 years ago - I had been racing karts and cars for a decade. Even had some success - a kart championship in '76 and winning the run-offs in 1980. After listening to Mike Rand present the tech line talk at a 3-day I was auditing, I clearly remember myself saying "Jeez, I wish I'd known that before".

For some, driving race cars is a 'natural'. I couldn't have told you where I braked, turned or apexed for a corner, I just braked when it seemed right and turned when it felt right, etc. After immersing myself in Skippy world, I recognized the benefit of structuring my driving with consistent, repetative actions. I spent more than a decade co-driving other guy's cars, and learned how to adapt to different cars, good or bad. After racing several rather bad cars, I realized I could alter my inputs to some degree to work around a car issue. This was the first time I was able to separate my actions from the car's actions. Wonderful enlightenment - you can't make a race car do anything, all you can do is ask it to do its best.

From the years and years of doing this - including much MX5 testing these days - it's clear to me that driving a race car is basically a craft, not unlike operating a piece of heavy equipment or a machine tool. Watch somebody really good 'work' a skid-steer or back-hoe and you'll see the same type of ballet we see in world class race drivers - an economy of input and a conservation of energy.

How does one learn this? In a word...experieince. Seat time is the key. The more you do this the better you get - period. The only shortcut is perhaps more natural aptitude than others. But clearly, driving a race can be a learned activity. No absolute natural aptitude is necessary as witnessed by the relative success of guys and gals who've worked hard enough and had enough seat time to become successful...at least until reaching a level of racing beyond what their aptitude and experience can produce.

Reminds me of a guy who won the midwest series many years ago. He'd come to Road America on Monday, lap all week and finally get down to a competitive time. He'd do well and win periodically, but when he came back to RA 6 weeks later, he was 2+ seconds off the pace again. Had to run Mon-Fri to get back to speed. Failed miserably when he went to the pro series, just didn't have enough apptitude to add to seat time to be successful at that level.

Another way to say it is this; speed comes from repetition and execution, not how hard you try. We all learn at different rates, so success will come from seat time, either today, tomorrow or next year. The best 'balance' between effort and risk is to focus on one single improvement in each session, and measure that improvement in tenth's. For some, competitiveness will come quickly, others will take longer - perhaps years.l

If it's not enjoyable to work slowly at the craft and accept very small successes, you're in the wrong sport. Ultimately, the reward is simply the absolute pleasure of operating the machine as efficiently as possible and being rewarded with not only the successful laptime, but the incredibly tactile rewards of operating the machine at optimum slip angles - the very edge of its performance envelope.

What I can confirm from MX5 testing at Sebring last week is that I get as much pure joy and pleasure from driving race cars today as I did racing karts in the early 70's. I'm truly blessed to be able to still do this, and as long as the 'ride' is still fun and I can still be comfortable, competitive and valuable in testing, I'll keep belting in!

Relax, work at the craft, let success happen, and enjoy the entire ride.

PB

Bookmark This Thread