Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 11-01-2010
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Recommendations for a new helmet?

hello all, i was thinking about buying my first helmet soon. I only have experience with the Bell helmets at the Lime Rock School, so i was figuring i'd stick with that brand. I was looking at the new snell rated helmets and was thinking about going with the gtx.2. it seems to be designed for open wheel racing, which would be great for racing with the skippy series, but realistically any or most of the racing i will be doing will most likely be in a closed cockpit. i do like the way it looks (and i know the better you look the faster you go). i just want to make sure these types of helmets are just as good for closed cockpit cars with ventillation, vision etc. i was also looking at thr br.1. any and all comments or recommendations welcome. thanks
Old 11-01-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36
Re: Recommendations for a new helmet?

Hi, Mike, and welcome. First suggestion is to do a search for threads on helmets, which have been discussed elsewhere previously and with many good comments.

Second, I will put in a plug for Arai helmets. I am one of many who are happy with the fit and quality of Arai products.

Third, get a helmet that fits as tightly as you can stand without getting a headache. That means leaving it on for a few minutes before making up your mind (unless it is clearly not tight enough from the outset, in which case take it off and try on another).

Fourth, there are often great deals on helmets that are an earlier generation, such as the 2005 series (the new ones are FIA 2010). For Skippy driving no one will check, but if you intend to do any SCCA events, your helmet will need to be either 2005 or 2010, and when the 2015 ones eventually come out, your 2005 would need to be replaced.

Lastly, as the old saying goes, if you have a $50 head, then get a $50 helmet. It is worth spending some money to get a good quality helmet no matter which manufacturer you choose.
Old 11-02-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

I'll second Ted's comments and add that if you think you're going to spend most of your time in cars with a windscreen you will probably be better served with a relatively large visor opening. Some of the helmets well suited to open cockpit cars like the Arai GP-5 have a relatively narrow eye opening. In cars with windshields having the wider visor opening makes it easier to get air into the helmet on hot days and also makes it easier to see gauges and belts etc. Also a wider visor opening makes it possible to put on or take off sun glasses if conditions change at the last minute and you don't have time to change visors.

Very much agree with Ted that you want to get the best helmet you can afford. No value in looking for bargains when it comes to protecting your one and only hard drive and data processor.
Old 11-02-2010

Gallery Images: 8

Try on as many as you can. Comfort when snug is a good goal, you don't want it to be a distraction. Too loose a fit and it will move around at speed. Check the eyeport size if you need or want to wear glasses that will need to pass through it. I found it easier & quicker to slip sunglasses through the front than change face shields. That's one reason my most recent helmet is a large eyeport Bell M4. I also have a small eyeport Bell M3. The M4 also serves double duty on the Ducati where the larger eyeport improves the sight lines. Both work equally well on 4 wheels. I've had Simpson Super Voyagers in the past, but the Bell crown padding fits around my ears more comfortably. My 2 cents...

Last edited by Rosso; 11-02-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2010
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Good comments...also, buy your balaclava first, wear it trying on helmets
Old 11-03-2010

I had a bell and switched to an arai

i vote for the aria - get the wide port if ur not going to do open wheel
and get the helmet built with the radio stuff built in!!
Old 11-03-2010

Gallery Images: 8

If you run closed cockpit you can always just flip up the face shield.

Arai's are comfy, but pricey. The Arai I'm wearing in my avatar was a Skippy loaner for the superbike school at Laguna.
Old 11-03-2010
Grand Master

Don't see any web site evidence that Arai or Racing Radios do radio gear installs... Where did you get your's done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
I had a bell and switched to an arai

i vote for the aria - get the wide port if ur not going to do open wheel
and get the helmet built with the radio stuff built in!!
Old 11-03-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Don't see any web site evidence that Arai or Racing Radios do radio gear installs... Where did you get your's done?
got mine done at Speedcom outside Orlando, great guys, inexpensive, while u wait svc. and I didn't wait, they stopped what they were doing and did it right away, even though I just walked in off the street on my way to sebring. took impressions for my custom ear phones and mailed em to me. only $50 more than the foam ones. great svc.

spring for the high level laminate whatever you do, you'll love the lightness. (funny for me to say that, having weighed mine down with 9 lbs of electrical tape!)
Old 11-04-2010
Grand Master

No obvious hits when I googled Speedcom Orlando... You still have the address? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
got mine done at Speedcom outside Orlando, great guys, inexpensive, while u wait svc. and I didn't wait, they stopped what they were doing and did it right away, even though I just walked in off the street on my way to sebring. took impressions for my custom ear phones and mailed em to me. only $50 more than the foam ones. great svc.

spring for the high level laminate whatever you do, you'll love the lightness. (funny for me to say that, having weighed mine down with 9 lbs of electrical tape!)
Old 11-04-2010
administrationistperson

I think this is it

http://www.speedcomracing.com/
Old 11-04-2010
Grand Master

Thanks Doug,

Funny... their web site says they have Racing Radio systems yet there isn't a helmet pod or mic to be seen. Looks like they should have that stuff but... It's probably hiding in there somewhere. The site is slow, only some items have pics and pricing is a mystery.

Looks like their walk up service may be way ahead of their web site. No big whoop. Thanks again Doug.
Old 11-04-2010
administrationistperson

terrible site - call 'em
Old 11-04-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
terrible site - call 'em
ditto that. they're a small shop. hard to find in the industrial park they are located in even with gps. got the ref from JP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
Looks like their walk up service may be way ahead of their web site.
ditto that too. see above. funny
Old 11-05-2010
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 122

I got an Arai, I love it. Speedware motorsports I believe helped me. They sent me two, let me try them on, then send them the one I didn't like. they also installed my radios, I think Lippert had his done there too. 4 years later, no problems at all. Radio's are key. Everyone uses them, spend the extra couple hundred to get it done right.

The Arai's are a little lighter I believe. Not sure how much time that saves, but it does make things easier on your neck.

Bookmark This Thread