Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 03-12-2006
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
my sister needs a computer

my sister needs a new computer. she currently has a dell desktop that breaks down and she is constantly on the phone to dell customer service. she says she wants a laptop so she can move around within her apartment with a wireless network. i think its absurd to spend more on a laptop to be able to use it around her small apartment. anyway, my opinion aside, what do you recommend for her? she would only use it for school stuff and surfing the web. i recommend an apple but thats my opinion. what do you guys recommend? can you recommend some specs that she could look for in searching for a laptop? thanks.
Old 03-12-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: my sister needs a computer

I use a G4 Powerbook, Vicki has a G4 ibook, and Julia now uses Vicki's old G3 ibook. We have airport wireless in our apt and it's outstanding. We don't even have a desktop computer anymore. They can do anything a desktop unit can do. You can hook 'em up to a big desktop monitor if you want or easily use an external hard drive for extra capacity and backup. They come with iLife which includes iTunes, iPhoto, Garage band, iMovie etc. Great stuff. If she's a student just add MS Office for Mac and your in business. The ibook is a terrific value. I'd suggest going to the apple store online and check it out. Here's a link. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...60A&nclm=iBook

They have student discounts through many schools. (Usually 10%) The Microsoft Office for Mac bundle is usually deeply discounted through most schools.

If you go that way be sure and get the apple care service contract. Covers repairs and support 2 years past the basic coverage. Well worth it
Old 03-12-2006
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

I hope not to jinx myself, but I've had my Powerbook G4 which I use every day for about 3 years now. It's crashed a total of...

wait for it...

wait for it...

Zero times. You heard me. Zero.

The thing runs my life. All my business apps, email, web, race video editing, you name it. It even built a slightly misguided and sometimes interesting website called.. TJR.

Go get a Mac.

Or, you can get a Dell/PC, especially if you're lonely. You'll meet lots of new friends (tech support people) that way.
Old 03-12-2006
Umbrella Girl
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

MAC, MAC, MAC!!!!! It's the only way to go! Does she live on Long Island also, Ari? If so, take a trip to the Apple store in Roosevelt Field Mall and let them show her what they can do! Seriously, I LOVE my Mac and they have addressed the issues with platform crossover very well. It is almost seamless at this point. There's an even more amazing Apple store in Soho if you can get there.
Old 03-12-2006
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Get a PC AND an assistant to spend hours on hold for you...

My problem with Mac is continued compatability issues. The whole world should be on Mac, but it's not.
Old 03-12-2006
Hey ya'll, watch this
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 6

Another vote for Mac. My G4 Powerbook goes everywhere with me, and hasn't let me down. Even converted my girlfriend to a Powerbook recently.
"I'm not a fearful person. There's no feeling in the world that I've had that's like it. You're driving something that's out of control but you're controlling it. What else should I do? Plant flowers in the backyard? Go to a barbecue? I'll do that, but this rocks my world. When you get out of a race car, the grass is a little greener and the sky is a little bluer."
Old 03-13-2006
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

thanks for the vote of confidence in mac. that is exactly what i told my sister and my dad, but i wanted an unbiased opinion from you guys. however, i just don't see her needing a laptop so i'm trying to steer her to the new imac or mac mini. i think the mac mini is an awesome deal. i really want one, but my pc is still ticking(and i literally mean it's ticking still) so i guess i know why mac's are a little more expensive than a pc is.

thanks for the help. sue, thanks for the advice about the b&m store, i'll send her to the boston one since she attends northeastern and went back today.

Bookmark This Thread