Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 03-15-2010
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Could it be this simple??

I think I can help with the 'spectacle' in F1.

Run all the races at Spa, Monaco (for giggles), Monza, WGI and Mont Tremblant...after you take out all the 'bus stops', of course.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 03-15-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Could it be this simple??

I'll second it... But good luck getting Bernie on board.

The IRL also ran their first spectacle of the year in Australia. Hadn't seen or heard a word about it. Stumbled upon the high def coverage on Versus. Perfect timing as it turned out. Saw the last lap and a half. Missed the opening lap pile up that took out a handfull of cars and ended with someone mounting and perfectly balancing their car on top of Marco's roll bar trapping him inside for 10 minutes. Also missed the massive downpour that took out a few more cars before they red flagged the race for an extended period. Got to see Will Power (Better choice than Low Power I suppose :-) take the checker and show off the massive blisters on his hands after the race. The announcers said it was a good race but doubt many of the small audience on Versus sat through the delays. The announcers made reference to the next race being on ABC so it should at least get some promotion on the network. On the one weekend when there was no Nascar racing they really missed a big opportunity to beat the drum for the IRL. With Tony George gone I hoped things would improve. Ah well... It's only the first race.

Did anyone actually see the event on Versus and can comment on the race and coverage?
Old 03-15-2010
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

I saw the race listed in the tv listings (tvlistings.zap2it.com) with a start time of 10:00pm on Vs.

The funny thing about its lack of promotion is that it was the race they talked the most about on the brief "Weekend Racing Wrap-Up" on 106.9 out of Hartford today. They usually talk about NASCAR, but all they did was recap the standings and go over Carl Edwards' situation. They didn't even mention F1...
Old 03-15-2010

Out here in the woods, Directv and Versus don't talk to each other. You're sayin' there is an Indycar season this year?
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 03-15-2010
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

I watched some of the IRL race on http://www.indycar.com. Below is a nice 8 minute highlight reel as posted on Indycar.com, including the first lap balancing act, some of the rain, and the Will Power vs Ryan Hunter-Reay battle, which was actually pretty good. The track needs some configuration for better competition, but it is their first street race in Sao Paulo, and its not easy to build a good street circuit anywhere.

Um, yes, Pat, IRL race was in Sao Paulo, Brazil, but that's almost Austrailia.

I would have liked to see the F1 race, but my apartment doesn't have SPEED. Unfortunately, its nearly impossible to find highlights on the Internet. F1 pulls nearly everything from Youtube. Sometimes you get a fan videotaping their television, and that slips by, but not always.

Others have suggested sprinklers to wet the F1 tracks for the races.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 03-15-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
I watched some of the IRL race on http://www.indycar.com. Below is a nice 8 minute highlight reel as posted on Indycar.com, including the first lap balancing act, some of the rain, and the Will Power vs Ryan Hunter-Reay battle, which was actually pretty good. The track needs some configuration for better competition, but it is their first street race in Sao Paulo, and its not easy to build a good street circuit anywhere.

I would have liked to see the F1 race, but my apartment doesn't have SPEED. Unfortunately, its nearly impossible to find highlights on the Internet. F1 pulls nearly everything from Youtube. Sometimes you get a fan videotaping their television, and that slips by, but not always.

Others have suggested sprinklers to wet the F1 tracks for the races.

Gerardo - check out axis of oversteer for highlights
Old 03-16-2010
Pitlane Sasquatch
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
Out here in the woods, Directv and Versus don't talk to each other. You're sayin' there is an Indycar season this year?
OldRed,
Like you I am on Directv. I was amazed last night to walk in and see the DVR light on...

Lo and behold it had found and was recording the Izod Indycar race from Brazil.

So it seems Directv and Comcast/VS made peace and have restored coverage! Glad for Indycar and my wife will be delighted come Tour de France time...

The rebroadcast was heavily edited as they went to a commercial break during a downpour and returned in dry conditions w/ 20 mins remaining. Still a great race and wonderful to see RHR and Matos doing so well! I also really enjoy the banter between Buhl and Beekhus somewhat reminiscent of Bobby Unser and Sneva...

Looking forward to the rest of the season!
SD
Old 03-16-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Synaptic gap spelling error...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Old 03-17-2010
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

loved the indycar video! love to c and compare w/ f1
Old 03-17-2010

Bobo, below is a descriptive compilation of events during the F1 opener:

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

I think that's 24 cars. Like I said, I fell asleep.

Yessssssssssss. We have Versus again. But I got to watch the whole race replay visiting in the hospital with a loved one who chose my visit to fall asleep. Yes. It runs in the family. Yes. I took it personally.
Yes. deSilvestro joined racing immortals by leading two laps (with Franchitti behind her, no less) in her inaugural race. Did I mention Danica was also behind her?
Morales took out Andretti on the first lap. Did I say AGAIN? Scary parking on top of him this time.
Did I say that during the rain time out they should have shown Phil Lombardi's rain dance at Lime Rock.( Newbies should check video section at this point). They should have made the DRIVERS watch Phil's video. Did I say that Danica spun in the rain?
And finally, if you're gonna return from a broken back, Will Power's pass of Hunter-Rey and on to the win would be the way to do it.
Did I say you guys have GOT to get TIVO? I'm not gonna do this again.
Old 03-19-2010
That Guy at LRP's Uphill
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
Bobo, below is a descriptive compilation of events during the F1 opener:

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

I think that's 24 cars. Like I said, I fell asleep.

Yessssssssssss. We have Versus again. But I got to watch the whole race replay visiting in the hospital with a loved one who chose my visit to fall asleep. Yes. It runs in the family. Yes. I took it personally.
Yes. deSilvestro joined racing immortals by leading two laps (with Franchitti behind her, no less) in her inaugural race. Did I mention Danica was also behind her?
Morales took out Andretti on the first lap. Did I say AGAIN? Scary parking on top of him this time.
Did I say that during the rain time out they should have shown Phil Lombardi's rain dance at Lime Rock.( Newbies should check video section at this point). They should have made the DRIVERS watch Phil's video. Did I say that Danica spun in the rain?
And finally, if you're gonna return from a broken back, Will Power's pass of Hunter-Rey and on to the win would be the way to do it.
Did I say you guys have GOT to get TIVO? I'm not gonna do this again.
Hey Paul, maybe you should get that short-term memory thing checked out.

And oh yeah, ask your doctor about your short-term memory.

Bookmark This Thread