Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 05-29-2009
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

June Lime Rock

I went to sign up for the MazdaSpeed Challenge race at Lime Rock today and it was sold out. If anyone will be dropping out, please let me know ASAP so I can grab your spot! Thank you very much!

If I don't make it there, have a great race everyone! Just beat Lee and Andrew for me!

Phil
www.TeamMatherMotorsport.com

Help me fund this Skip Barber Addiction! www.TeamMatherMotorsport.com/for_sale
Old 05-29-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69
Re: June Lime Rock

Phil--

I'm sure you went ahead and got on the wait list but checking in case you didn't think to. Often, Skip will add a few spots in the last week before an event if cars are available. So keep the faith!

Hope to see you there. It was fun watching you guys race at the Glen.

- Harsha
Old 05-29-2009

I'm in! The Skip Barber guys rock! See you all there!
Old 05-29-2009
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

I'm in the open wheelers but glad they squeezed in another MX-5
Old 05-29-2009
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMather View Post
I'm in! The Skip Barber guys rock! See you all there!
good news!
Old 05-29-2009
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Great to have you, Phil! I will be racing in the RTs this time but will be watching BOTH Mazda run groups with great interest.

Good luck!

Jim Craige
Old 05-30-2009
Grand Master

Nice avatar Jimmy... but... if you run in the RT's... That means... Ohh... never mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraige View Post
Great to have you, Phil! I will be racing in the RTs this time but will be watching BOTH Mazda run groups with great interest.

Good luck!

Jim Craige
Old 05-30-2009
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Nice avatar Jimmy... but... if you run in the RT's... That means... Ohh... never mind...
copy that! ...but...wait.....I am not racing at LRP.......but....

Old 05-30-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
I don't know if anyone noticed, but our boy Jimmy set the track record for VIR North. Left me wheezing in his exhaust fumes. Felt like I was in a different class of car. Such as my Jeep.

Notice served.
Old 06-01-2009
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
I don't know if anyone noticed, but our boy Jimmy set the track record for VIR North. Left me wheezing in his exhaust fumes. Felt like I was in a different class of car. Such as my Jeep.

Notice served.
- Harsha
I short-cut the twisty turns because my geometry teacher in high school told me that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. I am going to try this at all the tracks!!

Next time I am going to try this AND stay on the track for the whole race. This is because my instructors at racing school told me that this is a better way to get to the podium.
Old 06-10-2009
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Exclamation Re: June Lime Rock

Just a heads up for those of you coming to LRP this weekend. Route 7 North/South will be closed from 8:00pm 6/12 to 6:00am 6/15. They're shutting down the section of road where the bridge crosses the river at the high school.

If you're coming up 7N from the south/city, you should be fine, but if you're planning to go to Falls Village/Canaan/MA or are staying north of the bridge and need to head south to the track, you'll have to follow the detour route. They've posted the signs, but since they haven't uncovered them yet, I can't tell you what the detour actually is. My guess is that they're routing people onto 4, 41, and 44.
Old 06-10-2009
Grand Master

And if you've been at the track this week you've seen the structural steel for that bridge being stored on the outside hill parking area at LRP.

* Correction: Found out today (Thursday) those steel girders are part of the crane system that will hoist the bridge pieces in place. Who knew?

Last edited by dalyduo; 06-11-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2009
administrationistperson

Getting to LRP

Even though I am in SW CT it is a lot faster for me to go into NY and take I684 > Rte 22 north rather than up to Route 7 in CT, much faster (I get on I95 South at exit 6). The southern part of the Rte 7 drive sucks and can really get slow. Once north of Kent though it is a fantastic drive. Much more scenic, great twisty road, absolute favorite drive, just longer. Even from as far as Norwalk, it is still faster to take 684 > Rte 22.

If you go this way, instead of going through Amenia, try this shortcut just south of Wassaic on Rte 22, fun drive and saves time - google map / directions link

Look for a Getty Station on the left as a marker for the right turnoff onto Old Rte 22 (and it's a MUCH faster diving turn than it looks weeeeeeeee!) but get on the brakes hard for the hard right and single lane RR tunnel that follows - WHOOOOAAAA This takes you on some fun back roads into Sharon (see notes in google directions). Follow til right turn onto Calkinstown Rd (Sharon Motor Lodge on right), follow til you bear left on White Hollow Road which takes you to LRP gates / infield entrance. Calkinstown and White Hollow are both fun, tight, back roads - and it is def possible to get air on some of the bumps

Details:
1. Head north on NY-22/Rte-22
2. Slight right at County Rte-81/Old Rte 22 - 0.2 mi
3. Turn right at S Amenia Rd/County Rte-3 Continue to follow S Amenia Rd - 1.9 mi
4. Continue on Amenia Union Rd/County Rte-2 - 1.7 mi
5. Slight right at Amenia Union Rd/Leedsville Rd Continue to follow Amenia Union Rd (Entering Connecticut) - 3.4 mi
6. Continue on CT-41/S Main St Sharon. Continue to follow CT-41 - 1.8 mi
7. Turn right at Calkinstown Rd - 1.8 mi
8. Turn left at White Hollow Rd - 4.1 mi
9. See LRP sign on left, entrance on right

Last edited by cdh; 06-11-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2009

Links to my MX-5 race videos!

Friday:

Saturday:

Enjoy!
Old 06-15-2009
Grand Master

Nice video Phil...

You've probably figured this out or been told already but your video illustrates a text book case of brake caliper "bounce back". On your exit of the downhill before your go off in big bend you run hard over the progressive teeth of the exit curbing for the first time. It's very easy to see and hear that on the video. The harsh vibration causes the brake pads to bounce back a few millimeters from the discs so that when you hit the pedal at the end of the straight it takes quite a bit longer travel or even an extra pump before that slack is taken up and the brakes grab again. By the time you get the pads back up to the disc you're past your brake point and the four off ensues. You did a very nice job of keeping the car under control once it went off and stayed off the curb after that.

Mike Auriemma has a story about his first experience of bounce back at WGI in a Porsche. To prevent the problem simply tap the brake pedal lightly to take up the slack before getting to your brake point.

Also recal looking at one of AJ Nealy's race video's that had multiple cameras including a camera pointed at his pedals. Bounce back must have been a big issue with his Acura at the time as he was in the habit of tapping the brake pedal to set the pads before every heavy brake zone. It looked very odd but as you now know not as odd as finding a soft brake pedal going into Big Bend at 115!

Nice drive.

Thanks,
Pat

Last edited by dalyduo; 06-16-2009 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2009

Yep. I'm very familiar with pad knock-back. My SpecMiata would suffer from it at Nelson Ledges, that was the first time I found it. For some reason I didn't get the pedal pumped up that time. I had been doing it every lap and either didn't do it, or the knock-back was bad enough that I just didn't pump enough. I'm just glad I was able to woah it down enough not to end up in the tires...
Old 06-16-2009
administrationistperson

Videos Re: June Lime Rock

Hey Phil, thanks for posting these, very cool!

Here is Michael Auriemma's (MJAMOK) incar, nice driving Amok - who is that in the back of the pace truck?

From Amok's youtube page:
"This is the start and re-start of this weekend's Skip Barber Miata race. Group 4 Race 1. Lee Carpentier is in car 41,
Peter Ludwig in car 40. Michael Auriemma (that's me) driving with onboard camera".

If anyone needs more Skip MX5 videos, check out this youtube search result

Last edited by cdh; 06-16-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Tags
lime rock , lrp

Bookmark This Thread