Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 02-01-2005
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

need some racing advice

Ok, I only have enough money for one race weekend this season(eastern series). I've done my 3 day and 2 day schools at Limerock and one race weekend there also. What other track would be a good choice for me to go to? I was thinking Watkins Glen or VIR because I'm somewhat familiar with the track layouts so that might ease the learning curve. I'm also wondering what my chances are for getting some kind of sponorship, even for just one race...given my lack of experience(one race weekend LR 3&4 5/17/04) I figured it'd be nearly impossible but I would really like to run more races and I think I could get pretty good if I just get more seat time.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2005
GrandMasterB
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 57
Re: need some racing advice

Hey 31:
Welcome to the club. I have driven LRP, VIR, MO, WG and Mont Tremblant. My favorite is LRP, fast sweeping corners, relatively easy to learn! Next is Mont Tremblant, wide smooth track, different corner types and space between the pavemant and the walls (most of the time). VIR has 2 long straights, big speed in the second straight. MO is fun to drive but hard to pass, bus stop is a pain. My most unfavorite is WG. Lots of armco very close to the track. Combining the armco with a skippy car increases the cost of your weekend, a lot! Even the styrofoam is expensive. I must say though, the esses are great fun.

OLD
Old 02-02-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

All the tracks are fun in their own way. Pick one close to home to save on travel costs. VIR and WGI are nice and long, adding a bit of challenge. I like them much more than LRP.

If I could only afford one weekend, I'd wait till the end of the season, so I had something to look forward to, and wasn't "missing it" when every one else was at the track.

On the other hand, doing an early weekend would inspire me to get a 2nd job, work overtime, open a lemonade stand, rob a bank, or sell drugs... anything to raise the bucks to race more!

Sponsorship is damn near impossible unless you are a teenage prodigy, or have connections. Maybe if you race early and kick butt, you would have a story to bring to potential sponsors. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2005
Fund Raiser Racer

mike as always good advice,we have had drug dealer's,bank robber's and even a mafia guy from boston charged with manslaughter run in the serie's(that is no B.S.) i think lemonade is the way to go.

as far as where to race i think V I R is the place for new guy's as there is a lot of run off room and that cut's down on c---h damage. to bad that is the first race. i would come to a few first and watch and learn before getting into a car . as far as getting a sponser i would try prayer.

good luck have a good time bring the car back
Old 02-02-2005
Thumb-alina

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgersid
even a mafia guy from boston charged with manslaughter
Sid... why did you go and bring up Dario for cryin out loud? That isn't nice!
Old 02-02-2005
Fund Raiser Racer

no names i never mentioned any names. trunkfiller if you are reading this i never mentioned names
Old 02-02-2005
GrandMasterB

Gallery Images: 57

Hey Sid:
I didn't know you were from Long Island. Because like everyone on the island you can't end a word with an "s" without putting an apostrophe in front of it. While I have your attention, are you going to be at Daytona in April?

OLD
Old 02-03-2005
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

If you've done your 3-day, 2-day and a race weekend at LRP you'll probably get the most bang for your buck in terms of driving comfort level and success on the track by going back there to race this year.

If you go to any other track you'll need to invest many more dollars for lapping and practice to even approach the comfort level you now have at LRP.

At your experience level sponsors are hard to come by unless you are just knocking the socks off of your competition.
You'll most certainly get better results at LRP because of all the seat time you've already accumulated there.

If you have the dough, explore other tracks that you have a passion for. If not, then save your money, race early in the season at LRP and see if you can scrape up enough nickels to squeeze in a second race weekend later in the season.
Old 02-03-2005
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

I agree with Sid. VIR is the way to go the first time out. Enough run-off room to limit the crash damage.

For those slow learners out there, it is a possible to spin on turn #1, 4 times during the first practice day and not hit anything. (Note to self: turn 1 at VIR is NOT like turn 1 at LRP).

Please check with Sy though on the crash damage part. Find out his car # as last year his car was determined to weld itself to a guardrail.
Old 02-03-2005
Fund Raiser Racer

old man i dont come from long island i come from brooklyn and i was kicked out of high school for paying to much attention to racing and not enough to english grammer.as everyone can see. i say dees does deem and bunk my head.
but i put it all in prespective to my youngest daughter when she correct's me DAD it's these them and those and not tirty tree it's thirty three.

thank you for the english lesson vanessa NOW WHEN YOU WANT TO BORROW TIRTY TREE TOUSAND DOLLAR FOR A CAR REMEMBER I FAILED ENGLISH BUT NOT MATH ASK SOMEBODY THAT SPEAK'S BETTER THAN I DO

AS THE SONG SAY'S I SIGN MY CHECK'S WITH XXX 'S BUT THEY CASH THEM JUST THE SAME

I HOPE TO BE AT DAYTONA GOD HELP ME I MISS YOU GUY'S
Old 02-03-2005
Grand Master

Jim, I don't believe it's Tcar31's first time out as he stated he'd already run one race weekend at LRP along with his 3 & 2-day schools. I wouldn't argue that VIR is more user friendly for most, my only point was that if he knows & has raced already at LRP it could be less expensive (as long as he avoids big crash damage) to return there.
Old 02-03-2005
Fund Raiser Racer

double d quick note to self try to avoid big crash damage. no no try to avoid all crash damage. no no this is lime rock just get out my check book

Last edited by badgersid; 02-03-2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
Jim, I don't believe it's Tcar31's first time out as he stated he'd already run one race weekend at LRP along with his 3 & 2-day schools. I wouldn't argue that VIR is more user friendly for most, my only point was that if he knows & has raced already at LRP it could be less expensive (as long as he avoids big crash damage) to return there.
You are right, DalyDuo. And come to think of it, he should do LRP!

Heck, on my second racing experience, which was at LRP,

I MADE IT ON TV!!!!*

*for further information, please visit:
Team Juicy Racer
Stars & Crashes on TV
By Jim Craige
Old 02-03-2005
Thumb-alina

Hey Oldman... I DO come from LI (though not originally, I admit), let me know if you find any misplaced 's in my posts... I'll give you a buck for each one.

Jim... who ever told you Turn One at VIR is like Turn 1 at LRP? Oh, that was me. I still think so. Kinda. It comes after a fast straight. You break hard. Downshift from 5th to 2nd. Turn the wheel to the right. Close your eyes. And, when you are all done, you are heading the other way. Seems the same to me!
Old 02-03-2005
Grand Master

Thanks Sid, as always sneaky smart. Nice to see you've cleaned the cake off your face. The thought did cross my mind that you now might be using that cake to raise your site line in the Ferrari but I'm sure you were much more creative than that.

Jim, you nicely illustrate the hazards of ratcheting up the pressure to perform in your second race weekend by showing up with a TV crew to document your every breath. Talk about pressure. I'd have spun in the parking lot.

I should throw my contribution onto the LRP crash damage steaming pile, and suggest Tcar31 browse my little opus (Panic, Lift, Spin, Boom! The Unabridged Version, or "Your First Big Hit!") under the Skippy racing headings from 10/29/04. That mishap just happened to occur while preparing for my second race weekend at LRP. A coincidence... I think not! Adding too much pressure to get under a minute too soon allowed me to experience an up close and personal meeting with Mr. downhill tirewall. (song title) "I fought the wall and the wall won".

Which simply answers the question:

What do race drivers and computer hard drives have in common?

There are only two kinds:

Those that have crashed, and those that are going to crash.

Last edited by cdh; 02-04-2005 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2005
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Tcar31,

Between your choices of VIR and Watkins, both are fun, but VIR would be safer. MJAmok reminds you also to consider choosing the cheaper travel plan.

Yes, you'll improve the more seat time you have.

Sponsorship acquisition is harder, more time consuming, and more frustrating than going to college and getting a great job! But, if you're clinically insane like me, you might start by studying sponsorship, how it works for those that have it. In a few years, you might understand it somewhat. In the meantime, if you have a close friend who wants to help out or family, you might rustle up a few bucks here and there, but you gotta ask, embarrass yourself, and learn to ask better!

Racing is stupid expensive. Make sure you have a little more money than you think you need before you push the go button.

Good luck.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 02-04-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAMOK
Jim... who ever told you Turn One at VIR is like Turn 1 at LRP? Oh, that was me. I still think so. Kinda. It comes after a fast straight. You break hard. Downshift from 5th to 2nd. Turn the wheel to the right. Close your eyes. And, when you are all done, you are heading the other way. Seems the same to me!
MJAmok, I remember that advice very well... Have I told you how I navigate West Bend without tapping the brakes before turn-in? Tons and tons of fun for the whole family. I'll fill you in at LRP. Trust me.

My 2005 racing philosophy:

=if Jim's speed>other racers,win race, collect trophy, get high five's, podium picture etc.
=if jim's speed > michael, less than other racers, beat Michael, no trophy, no podium pic, get high fives etc.
=if Jim's speed<Michael, crash into Michael, no trophy, no podium, pay bill, receive extra special instructor training, get high fives.

The way I see it, 2005 is just a whole series of High Five's for me!

By the way, saw you posted on the Grand AM entry list. It's official! Way to go. You are probably there now, so good luck. We are rooting for you.
Old 02-04-2005
Taxi Cab Left Turn Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
Hey Oldman... I DO come from LI (though not originally, I admit), let me know if you find any misplaced 's in my posts... I'll give you a buck for each one.

I'm glad you didn't use that kind of teaching style on me in october

Bookmark This Thread