Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 02-06-2011
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Instructing Career?

Hi All,
First post here, glad I found the place. I see there are a lot of aspiring career racers here, but what about a career as a racing instructor? Any instructors out there that would give some advice? What kind of credentials and experience are usually required? Do you enjoy your job? Thanks for any input.
Old 02-06-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Instructing Career?

Welcome William,

In the case of Skip Barber most instructors come from a background of racing. Some started as mechanics with the company and worked their way up. Others raced with SB for years and made the transition. Many had pro or advanced amateur race careers before and/or after their instructor tenure. There are probably as many different routes to instructing as there are instructors but the majority come from having been a racer.

The bad news is it's a tough way to make a living. In the case of SB every instructor is a private contractor hired on an as needed basis. With the economy in economy mode, enrollment has been down in all aspects of driving, racing and corporate events for about two years. As a result even long time instructors with decades of service have been scrambling for alternate income streams. Most of the guys who work race weekends have at least 15-20 years of service and most other instructors work driving, high performance driving, and racing schools locally at tracks they live near. The company uses local talent as much as possible to save travel and lodging expense.

The only reason I would suggest going toward instructing as a career is if you absolutely love racing and love paying forward the joy that putting a car at its limits gives you. If you enjoy public speaking and figuratively holding hands as you lead people of all ages out of their comfort zones in a car, while working long physically demanding days for modest pay and no health benefits then you too could be an instructor.

After racing for 5 years with SB I was invited to an instructors training over 3 years ago that I believe was the last instructor training on the east coast and possibly the country since then. It was right before the fiscal crash and business was booming. There was a need for instructors to cover all the programs being booked at that time. Since the economic pullback business volume has been down and I've worked part time only at Lime Rock with many fewer days than before the financial crisis. I also have another job so I'm not dependent on instructor pay for survival.

I love instructing because it sharpens my skills and makes me both a better driver and communicator. Everyone has a different way of processing new information and the joy is learning different methods of imparting the same thing to connect with each student so they have a meaningful experience. My hero's are the guys who created the SB program 35 years ago and have been developing and fine tuning it ever since. A handful are still around with another larger handful who have been in the trenches for decades and continue to share their lifetime knowledge with commitment.

All of my references are Skip Barber. The other angle is to look local. Any good racing organization runs schools or clinics and needs good driver/instructors, so the first and easiest place to look is your local sports car or rally club. Seek out good instructors, learn from them, get as much seat time as you can and then share it with others. Lots of ways to get it done... Just follow your passion.

I will now defer to other instructors who frequent this site who may be willing to give a more experienced, better informed and more concise answer to your question.

Good luck William

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy maritimer View Post
Hi All,
First post here, glad I found the place. I see there are a lot of aspiring career racers here, but what about a career as a racing instructor? Any instructors out there that would give some advice? What kind of credentials and experience are usually required? Do you enjoy your job? Thanks for any input.
Old 02-06-2011

"follow your passion" is advice that I should have heeded 15 years ago. I'm late to the game, but the passion is as strong as ever. Thanks for the great info!
Old 02-07-2011
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

"Follow the passion" is exactly right! Many are passionate about Motor Sports and find creative ways to be involved. A GOOD instructor is one that enjoys sharing the passion and is able to help the student grow and improve. Many levels of driving "instructors" exist and most are volunteer positions at clubs for track time or reduced entry fee. Very few get paid and fewere get paid well. SB has been a group of enthusiasts that actually pay the instructors and therefore a meca for those that share the passion and are looking for a way to be closer to it. Many excellent instructors involved with professional racing schools! There will always be small group of bitter, negative people hanging around with nothing else to do but such is life.
There are no "career" plans in a text book that say this is the Instructors Path to follow but rather those that pursue the passion WILL find a way. Most everyone that instructs enjoys it but will tell you it is not easy to do well and often demands a significant amount of travel/time away from home. As Pat pointed out most come with a few years of racing experience before beginning at the entry level. Best of luck to you.
JP
Old 02-07-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

William, if you want to experience instructing at the very top level, hang out with Jim Pace for a day. Or maybe a week. Or as long as you can. Soak up everything.
Old 02-07-2011

Jim,
Does your avatar picture belie a passion for flying as well? I started out to be a pilot many years ago. I got through most of my commercial training, but didn't follow it through to completion. Although I love to fly, racing on the ground is my passion. We'll see where it takes me. Thanks again for the input.
Old 02-08-2011
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

William, Racing is THE passion! Flying is a passion that I can use as part of the extended travel associated with racing. Wonderful combination. Wishing you the best. Jim

Bookmark This Thread