Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 02-07-2011
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Videos Camaro ad

good one

Old 02-07-2011
administrationistperson

Re: Camaro ad

liked this one too

Old 02-07-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

The beaver wins. Honorable mention to Doritos.

Pretty weak field though. Chevy. Some feel good Coke spots. Pepsi fell flat. As did Christina Aguilera. There are six hundred forty-seven notes in the Star Spangled Banner. She emoted four thousand seven hundred and fifty three notes and still managed to forget a verse. Wish these people would remember it's about the anthem, not the performer. While I'm at it, what up with Black-Eyed Peas? I know music is constantly evolving but the only decent noise from the half time show was a 30 second duet with Fergie and Slash's twenty-four-year-old guitar riff. Slow down, dammit. There are kids in this neighborhood!!!

Thank goodness there was a football game. Who won? Just kidding. We're a cheese house. Well, some of us. Yee Hah.

QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."

Last edited by oldredracer; 02-07-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: The need to outverbalize DD.
Old 02-07-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
The beaver wins. Honorable mention to Doritos.

Pretty weak field though.
agree. I liked about 30%. The rest were ho-hum.
Quote:
As did Christina Aguilera. There are six hundred forty-seven notes in the Star Spangled Banner. She emoted four thousand seven hundred and fifty three notes and still managed to forget a verse. Wish these people would remember it's about the anthem, not the performer.
Amen, brother. The whole time I was thinking, "Come on, now. Really??? Really???" Which is not really what the national anthem is for.

Quote:
While I'm at it, what up with Black-Eyed Peas? I know music is constantly evolving but the only decent noise from the half time show was a 30 second duet with Fergie and Slash's twenty-four-year-old guitar riff. Slow down, dammit. There are kids in this neighborhood!!!
Too many memories of the stroke you had when Dylan plugged in at Newport? The times, they are a-changing!

Quote:
Thank goodness there was a football game. Who won? Just kidding. We're a cheese house. Well, some of us. Yee Hah.
a pretty good game in fact. Aaron Rodgers: "Brett who?" And is it just me, or has James Jones forgotten how to catch the ball?

Last edited by Slowhands; 02-07-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Old Red, once Whitney showed us all how to sing the National Anthem, no one else was ever going to come close. She schooled everybody forever. Thanks for the uTube moment.

Ah, the commercials. I liked the one where we have the guy and the girl and she's wondering whether he wants kids or will lose his hair and all he's thinking about is ... well ... and then the Pepsi can appears, and she's "Don't even think about it!" ... and then the punch line: "Which one?"

The school teacher was neat as an interesting way to work your way through a stream of consciousness commerical creation and then bring it down to earth (literally).

The Detroit ad with Eminem was from a very different angle, and I enjoyed it too. Nothing like recalling the glory days of the heartland.

But many ads were a waste.

As for the game, one of the best competitive Super Bowl games I can recall. A lot of real energy, emotion, swings of momentum. Reminded me of some great boxing matches from twenty or thirty years ago.
Old 02-07-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
agree. I liked about 30%. The rest were ho-hum. Amen, brother. The whole time I was thinking, "Come on, now. Really??? Really???" Which is not really what the national anthem is for.

Too many memories of the stroke you had when Dylan plugged in at Newport? The times, they are a-changing!

a pretty good game in fact. Aaron Rodgers: "Brett who?" And is it just me, or has James Jones forgotten how to catch the ball?
Nooooooo. The psychotic break came with 'Nashville Skyline'. Wait forever for the album after the motorcycle accident and the first thing you hear is 'Lay, Lady Lay'??????? But I got over it...over it...over it.........

Jones has pretty much always been a hero or zero receiver, no?
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 02-07-2011
Your favorite PR Girl
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

I completely agree. All of the music performances were absolutely awful! At least it seems the general population seems to agree. man. Cristina's was one of the worst I've seen. The Glee chick wasn't *terrible* when she sang America the beautiful--she was better than the other performers yesterday-- but still bad. Squealing all the time. Why can't people just sing??

Being from the Motor City, I'm a huge fan of the Chrysler ad. Very well done, and completely unexpected. That and the Bridgestone and Darth Vader ones were my top picks.
Old 02-07-2011
administrationistperson

Well said ORR - but Doritos ads ok? I have sworn off all Pepsico products....those were all consumer-made ads, the Pug creator got a million $
Most of them creeped us out

Little Darth was great as we have said here, so good, they aired a short cut, seemed like 15 sec...? The racing beetle was good too. Detroit tribute very nicely done. Enough good ones but more poor ones I thought, still entertaining, if nothing else snarkability factor was very high.

The anthem is about The Anthem, not the singer, eff that trollop, how dare she. We all used to sing along at Jets games in the 60's, having everyone in that huge stadium singing our Anthem at the Super Bowl would have been meaningful. Should become standard practice, remove the celebrity problem entirely. On FB Jimal remined me of the Steven Tyler screechfest at the Indy 500 a few years back - yikes that was awful. Crowd should do the singing...or make it military bands / choirs.

BEP's - don't know them but their MO seems to be stealing riffs / hooks from hit tunes, stringing them together interjected with bad hip-hop, wearing circus costumes and looking like clowns. Just sayin

Good game, (very good I thought, wanted Steelers, but happy for our WI buddies) bad ads, 180 to the usual. Worth watching, and these spectacles on a huge HD plasma are a trip. The production / coverage is fabulous, just keeps getting better, hats off the the entire team that put it in our living rooms, they make it look easy
Old 02-07-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
...what up with Black-Eyed Peas? ...
I wish I could say this is original, but my cousin beat me to it: "See the Black Eyes Peas. See the shark. See the Black Eyed Peas jump the shark."

Personally, they reminded me of a drunken touring cast of Glee doing Parliament-Funkadelic covers at an all-night karaoke bar.
Old 02-08-2011
G-force junkie

You guys are the best.

Whitney was an artist, and a pro. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing that oldred, to help us cleanse ourselves of that other "experience." Folks like Cristina don't realize that you can't be Whitney without the talent, the soul, and the maturity to realize that it's not about YOU singing/ruining the song, but how much you stand back and let the song sing YOU (if in fact you have any REAL talent). Wake up, people, the fact that Cristina gets the nod for the biggest sports event of the year may be yet another sign that the apocalypse is upon us.

And as for the BEP, Rosso, you are hilarious. You and Doug nailed it.

I vote for Steve Earle, Neil Young, Billy Bragg, and Willie Nelson for next year's halftime show. And Susan Boyle singing the national anthem. Let's get some real people up there.
Old 02-08-2011
administrationistperson

Quote:
...but how much you stand back and let the song sing YOU (if in fact you have any REAL talent). Wake up, people, the fact that Cristina gets the nod for the biggest sports event of the year may be yet another sign that the apocalypse is upon us.
Ed Zackerly H - you know, this really isn't complicated, this most remarkable 10 year old gets it.

I wonder if I can find out who on the Super Bowl production team chose Aguilera for the job, must look

Old 02-08-2011
G-force junkie

WOW. That was sublime. Amazing.
Old 02-08-2011
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
I wonder if I can find out who on the Super Bowl production team chose Aguilera for the job, must look
found this quote "After it was announced that Aguilera would be singing the national anthem for the 2011 Super Bowl, she said in a news release that she had been performing the song since she was 7 and was "excited to be part of such an iconic event." I guess she needs more practice huh?

and this ‎"The pregame and halftime shows are an NFL NETWORK PRODUCTION and will be executive produced by RICKY KIRSHNER."

and this on Kirshner

As Harsha said "Wake up, people, the fact that Cristina gets the nod for the biggest sports event of the year may be yet another sign that the apocalypse is upon us." No kidding, keep fighting comrades

Last edited by cdh; 02-08-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-08-2011
administrationistperson

Quote:
WOW. That was sublime. Amazing.
you know of Jackie Evancho right H? If not search her on YT - Christmas carols a good start - angelic comes to mind
Old 02-08-2011
Your favorite PR Girl
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

One of my favorite moments of a race day in Champ Car was when we would all be lined up on the grid and together be able to sing the National Anthem. It was always an incredibly touching moment but if some artist pulled a Christina, it completely ruined the moment.
Old 02-08-2011
administrationistperson

With this Daytona 500 being the 10th anniv of Dale's death I'm thinking it's gonna be poured on thick and with a shovel.
Hope good taste prevails, wait and see.
Old 02-08-2011
G-force junkie

On hearing Ricky Kirshner's name, I feared the worst and it's true: his dad was the legendary Don Kirshner. In this case the apple fell miles from the tree. Poor dad, having to watch this from upstairs....
Old 02-08-2011
administrationistperson

Quote:
On hearing Ricky Kirshner's name, I feared the worst and it's true: his dad was the legendary Don Kirshner. In this case the apple fell miles from the tree. Poor dad, having to watch this from upstairs....
I thought I would spare you the connection....had to be with that name. RIP Don

Bookmark This Thread