Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 03-11-2010
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

My short introduction

To be a race car driver or fighter pilot was my dream when I was young. Thinking back in time, I think the first time I ever watched racing was at a summer camp in the early 90's, when the bigger guys tuned to an F1 race. Of course Aerton Senna was the man of the day and it was great fun to watch.

Due to health issues I didn't had a chance going to an air force military school, and lets be honest maths is not my strongest side. So I grew up and ended at a Technical University, studying Computer Science. I still do not know if this is what I am meant to do, and there are periods like now, when I just quit my job and spend 3-4 months on my own, not thinking about it. But I guess this job made it possible to at least touch to my dream.

-----
Although I got my driving license when I was 17 (my mother and father paid the course for my birthday), I can't say that I had much experience until 4 years ago. Due to some “uknown” for me reason, my parents doubted my capabilities (I understand if I ruined the garage as one of my colleagues, or parked my brand new car with two wheel on the garage wall). Me and my brother were given the “privilege” to drive the family Moskvitch 412 and then the Renault 19 only on out of town roads. I still remember when we were stopping at the end of the highway, before one the Bulgarian's main cities - Varna. I admit that at times I felt anger for someone underestimating my capabilities, but probably can understand their point of view. Big and unknown city, unknown streets, and believe me driving in Bulgaria has nothing to do for example with driving in LA, San Francisco or San Diego. I am still scared only from the though in driving in the Capital Sofia, or even Varna.

Well, i guess this was one of the reasons that you can not get me out of the car now. I just feel at home when driving and nothing makes me more calm. When I was in USA i used to drive during the nights at tough times.

After getting my Master Degree of Computer Science, at the Technical University in Varna, me and my twin brother went in the Army, which back then was mandatory. For guys that had university degree, it was 6 months, otherwise 9.

During my last army days, I am sitting in front of the computer and thinking how to spend our (mine and my brother's) hard earned money from the job we had before that, and "Eurika" there are enough for a rice car. For some reason, i liked Honda, so it was "love" at first sight. I went, saw, bought - all in one morning - '94 Honda Civic Coupe (manufactured in USA). I didn't had an idea what will do with the car, where I will drive it. I haven't heard for race tracks in Bulgaria. Drove it 5-6 months, and in one sunny March day, me and my brother left for sunny Southern California for training in the company we worked for (if you had anything to do with loans in WAMU, IHE, ... there is a chance that in the background it went through the Loan Originating System or Broker Portal i was working on ).

Being a Honda "fan", the Integra Type-R was one of the dream cars. Well, Type-Rs are not that many in USA and darn expensive, so next in line was Acura Integra GSR. The idea of buying such car was a month before actually buying it, but some circumstances delayed the process with 1 month. My brother decided to do some laundry, but oh surprise, our passports and I-94s (something you are given when entering USA, on which is written how long you can stay. If lost, bad...) were in one of the shirts . Well hopes of extending the stay at this month vanished, as well as the thought of buying the car.

After that, I decided to take the risk and stay, with the hope that somehow things can come to their places, and the wait time for an answer about an extension of the stay usually takes 3-4 months, during which period I am still legal in USA. Although I didn't know if i am going to stay more than 2 weeks, I said to my self "The hell, this is only money (arround $7000), i have the chance to drive the car (and many people can only dream about this)". So again, mine and my brother's money were going to be well spent

Meanwhile, my brother returned to Bulgaria (you know, the chance of me staying and dealing with the visa problems was 50/50. Fortunately i have twin brother, and with him the chances went to 100 If something goes wrong with my status, his will be not affected, and vice versa). Well, long story short, almost 3 years went and I have seen my brother twice, for a few days. It is hard to live 25 years, 24/7 together, and now only using IM from time to time, but well... life goes on. Fortunately he is now in USA and working hard to stay there.

So one day, me and my brother (he was leaving after few days) decided to buy the car. I don't need to mention that this one too was bought in the matter of seeing it for 30 minutes The day before we went to buy it, i filled the necessary online forms for an insurance (and there are not many companies that give insurance to drivers with foreign driving license). After i payed cash for the car, i connected my laptop to the wireless network of the place and actually purchased the policy. Then printed some temporary prove of it and back to the place we were staying (Irvine, CA).

Well, for a long time I enjoyed this moment and driving the car. 6 months to rely to other people to drive you anywhere, 6-7 people with different opinion and only one company van (Nissan Quest - 3.5L). And as you know it is hard to be in USA without a car .

Fuel in the blood, in a country with race tracks everywhere - in one moment, part of the dream became reality.

I started to visit the Autocross competitions, organised at the parking lot of California Speedway. It was 1 our trip from where I lived for 11 months. I was quite surprised by the attitude of the people there. From the first time i set foot on the track, there were people that introduced me to the sport. I was explained the rules, rode in many of the cars, without knowing anybody and anybody knowing me. With help from people at the events, i was improving my driving every time.

Meanwhile, I was searching for real race tracks. The autocross was really helpful for my concentration - it teaches you one of the most important principle - look as far ahead as possible, or you will kill the poor cones

At first it looks somewhat scary, but fortunately i didn't hit many cones (this picture is named Sean Nightmare). Unfortunately I am not in the Lotus, but was at this event.

So, i found a race track, not too far - 110 miles in one direction (or 2 hours driving). The name of the track is Willow Springs. This is what i needed - i guess i was in heaven. Smell of fuel, rubber, gorgeous noise from all kinds of engines - music for the ears. I am coming to this track every time possible There were periods when I woke up 5 in the morning, drove 2 hours to the track and then 2 hours back. The same thing happened on the next day. No more boring weekends, when I am wondering what to do.

Before going to USA, I found really interesting DVD - Drift Bible by Keiichi Tsuchiya. Actually, I think this was the first video I watched, where techniques were described in details. I guess this was the first thing that actually triggered my interest in the details of racecar driving. Pure perfection and car control. Yes, I know that it is not the fastest way around the track, but still requires lots of skills and shares many of the techniques and physics (wait, physics does not care about that ).

In one of my visits to Willow Springs, at the drift track there was I camera crew, which was shooting something. So i joined them with my camera, having no idea what were they doing:

After some time, i found that actually this was Tanner Foust (Formula D driver and champion).

I guess the rain from the shredding tires, from which i was hit while standing 2 meters from the fence somehow managed to find its path to my eyes and completely blur my mind

But somehow, only watching the guys have fun was only annoying me. What was the point of only watching someone having fun. I needed to take measures. My birthday is coming, there is still few dollars left (sausages, 10 for $1 became my "favorite", the rest for fuel and tires). Race School is the ultimate way to drive on a real race track in a real race car.

I think it was at this point, when i found about the Skip Barber Racing school. Unfortunately i could not afford it, so tried to find another alternative. Though, already owned "Going Faster - Mastering the Art of Race Driving", which opened my eyes about the wonderful world of driving cars on the limit.

The first time, I visited Willow Springs, i saw that there is Race School (Fast Lane) there, which at this day held place at "Street of Willow". This is a video from this first time:

I still wet my pants watching and listening to the Toyota accelerating I think they use the same cars for the celebrities in the Long Beach GP, which i was lucky enough to visit.

$450, one day, why not. 60 miles on a real race track, not bad. I needed tires, so purchased Falken Azenis 615. $75 a piece. From Texas to California with courier, and they left them in front of the house . Lucky enough, it is not Bulgaria and I found them in one piece, when i returned from the office.

So, it was 18 Nov 2006, early in the morning and I was waiting in front of the still locked gates of Willow Spring International Raceway, waiting to learn and drive. Some theory in the morning, nothing new from what I already knew (from Going Faster and the little experience in autocross), but it was interesting to listen, and the material was taught in an interesting manner, with some funny stories. After the lunch we headed to the race track.

We were divided into 3 groups, and each of the groups went to train particular thing. One was training heel & toe, the second at the "circle of traction", where we were shown what happens at the limit (the same thing is in the Going Faster DVD), and the third at the drift track, to train 180 spins.

I was in the group that first trained Heel & Toe. The instructor demonstrated to each of us the technique, and then it was our turn. I already had started training it while driving everyday, so it was a matter of polishing it. There was a course setup at the parking lot, near Streets of Willow, and it looked like that:

Around 270 meters, at both ends with cones. Accelerate, heel & toe, turn around the cones and back.The image is logged with my DriftBox, that i bought before the school. I love gadgets, so this was my first data logging system.

The second exercise was at the skidpad. Looked something like this:

Experienced what is lift off oversteer, controlling the radius with the throttle.

The third exercise was at the wet drift track. One of the exercises there was to use the handbrake for 180 degree spin while countersteering. After the car stops, you should tell in which directions the wheels are pointing, and they better be straight ahead . The second exercise was driving in reverse gear, and with the help of the brakes doing 180 and continuing the forward motion without interruption. The funny thing is, that there is used Nissan, with an automatic gearbox, and the instructor was switching to neutral and then back to Drive

The last and most exciting thing for this day was to go to the race track. Well, the first day was at "Streets of Willow" (next days i think they used the big track), but what a fun. The course graph looked like this:

The first few laps was "Follow the Leader" (that is the instructor). Every lap we were changing positions, so each one of us could be right behind the instructor. Then we were given a "Go" to put the pedal to the metal . Most of the other students were driving the school cars - Toyota GTS (the same as on the video i posted above). They had roll cages, tuned exhaust system and suspension, proper seats and pedals. There were couple of us, that were driving their own cars. One Ford GT and Shelby 500. I was in my Acura Integra GSR, completely stock, with new tires.

Well, I wasn't doing bad, for 1-2 laps was behind the guy with the Ford GT ($150 000 car). After the session he asked me if I had any experience before, but what can I say - two autocrosses and some racing simulations on the computer). I was able to keep up with the school Toyota cars in the corners, but on the straight was lacking speed. So i decided to go in the pits and wait there and find a free "window" in front of me.

Then one of the instructors (female one) asked if she can ride with me... well, i couldn't say NO She gave me few advices, but most of the time was enjoying the ride, as well i was enjoying the driving - what a blast. I was flying over the chicanes, and I will never forget what she told me - "You are really enjoying it, don't you?". Yep, if she only knew how right she was. My only goal was to have fun.

After that I talked with another instructor, who was driving Honda Integra Type-R at NASA. Probably he also saw something positive in my driving, so he explained me how i can participate.

This day i did 3 or 4 sessions, and unfortunately it was time to go home, as I only paid for one day high performance school. I was given the certificate and the group photo:

After this school, i went to few autocrosses (El Toro and California Speedway):

Unfortunately, the time came to leave the racer's heaven and return back on Earth... that is needed to go back to Bulgaria. It is not pleasant when you have to leave good friends, to limit you favorite activities (not that much race tracks in Bulgaria) - i learned tons of stuff, thanks to people who even didn't know me, but still helped me learn.

I still have fun here in Bulgaria though. Karting tracks, open track days, amateur events... Last year bought better Data Logging system (DASH2 + DL1 from Race Technology), and when I have time and desire play with it. It helped me improve my double clutch heal and toe and see many of the mistakes that I make, and most importantly in a way that i can see them graphically. Not sure if i learn better from pictures or not.

That is me in the green Civic. Hopefully my driving improved from back then

Helped me to be more consistent too:

Bought another 2 project cars and now left them to my father to deal with them Will see if any of them will hit the road at all.

Nowadays sometimes fire iRacing and drive "Test" sessions, browse forums and try to be valuable (as per Einstein's lessons in my previous thread ). Also translate from English to Bulgarian interesting books and articles that can be helpful for other people that want to know how and why stuff and driving techniques work. I guess when i have the time and money will go to few track days to keep the fire.

Well, this is with "couple" of words why i am interested in the art of driving. I may not be good or considered real car junkie, but this is the hobby that doesn't let go and I am enjoying it at my free time, or when I have the energy to do it.

P.S. I adapted most of the text from something I wrote 1 year ago, in a hotel room in downtown Copenhagen, Denmark.

Last edited by lz2lps; 03-11-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-11-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: My short introduction

Best intro ever Lyubomir...

You beautifully describe the attraction/addiction so many of us feel for this sport and make us realize how fortunate we are to have so many options in the US to indulge our passion. Your story is joyful, poignant and inspirational. Thanks for sharing it. Hope there's a future chapter that includes your return to the US to participate in lots of Skip Barber activities. Very good stuff.

Pat
Old 03-11-2010

Pat, thank you for the kind words!

I wish i was better at finding a way to be more active with my hobby, instead of having the words to describe one of my best periods, but that will do for now "Everything new is well forgotten old", so i need from time to time to keep the memories alive.

I don't know if it will inspire someone, but am sure that my brother will read it and will take notes I don't know if there will be next chapter (last time at the American Embassy, they were not happy that i want to go visit my brother for some joint racing activities . Hopefully, some day the visas will be removed and i will visit US again) , where i participate in Skip Barber activities, but he surely can some day. He was also used to go to track days at Willow Springs, but there are tough times now and hope he will enjoy driving again. Not so much interested in the theory of driving, but I am working on this I will be happy if I see him participating in Skip Barber activities.

Going through the Emails, i see that I still keep the order information for the "Going Faster" book. I didn't know, that I actually purchased it through the school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Email
From: Skip Barber Racing School driverservices@skipbarber.com
To: Lyubomir Simeonov
Title: order sbi-2000-2621 from Skip Barber Racing School
Wed, May 31, 2006 7:51:06 AM

This email is to confirm the receipt of your recent order from Skip Barber Racing School.

Name Code Qty Each Options
-----------------------------------------------------------
Going Faster DVD GFV-129-DV-XX 1 29.95

So it was before 31 May 2006, when I found about the school and at this date purchased the book, and later the DVD.

Some more pictures:
Me - Racing
Santa is early - new toys

A photo that my brother made and commented

Here are the captions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plamen Simeonov
Now I know why I bought Honda S2000 Me and my brother were the first to test the new Honda two seater convertible prototype of S2000 28+ years ago. Due to recognition failure Left and Right will be used Left: VTEC just kicked in, yo!! Right: Holly mother of Honda, where are the brakes man, where are the braaaakes... ... NOTE: since it was still a prototype it was only available in the RHD (Right Hand Drive) version
I hope in the future, me and him will meet at the same track
Old 03-12-2010
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Best intro ever Lyubomir...

You beautifully describe the attraction/addiction so many of us feel for this sport and make us realize how fortunate we are to have so many options in the US to indulge our passion. Your story is joyful, poignant and inspirational. Thanks for sharing it. Hope there's a future chapter that includes your return to the US to participate in lots of Skip Barber activities. Very good stuff.

Pat
Duo, It's hard to believe SUCH a nice guy as you even exists anymore.

My first reaction was: 'Gee. When can I get my hands on the LONG introduction?'

Then I read it and realized you're right. We all have the same disease and it manifests itself any way it can.

Do what you can to stay involved, Lyubomir. Have fun. Success. Whatever keeps you involved. And if you ever get to Lime Rock, say hello to Duo first, then me. He's obviously a nicer guy than I am.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 03-12-2010

Paul, you are all nice guys This was the reason to register in this forum. I read it for few days, and after that decided that it is worth to spend some of my time here.

Motivation is a strange thing. With me it works by sharing the information i find, and then translating it to knowledge.

The thread you created (about Senna and Heel & Toe) helped me translate some information into knowledge. Even dig a little in areas, that i would have never explored before.

Per the Einstein thread:

Quote:
Information is not knowledge. The only source of knowledge is experience.
And other favorite quotes:

Quote:
By learning you will teach, by teaching you will learn.
Quote:
“We Learn . . .
10% of what we read
20% of what we hear
30% of what we see
50% of what we see and hear
70% of what we discuss
80% of what we experience
95% of what we teach others.”

William Glasser
Forums are a nice way to do the things I colored in the above quote. At least when there is a big distance that separates us.

I have tons of information, but not much knowledge.

As for the involvement, I am sure that i will always search the way. I find racing or the process of learning stuff that has something to do with racing/vehicle dynamics,... the thing that keeps my concentration high. I rarely can stop my mind wonder from one topic to another, but for the last 4-5 years could not get racing out of my head.

I don't know if my brain is hyperactive or not, but getting into the car and driving is the thing that calms me down and makes me think for nothing else. Still, every time i go to a track, i shake and am nervous before going for the first session. This year for 2 months went to 4 track days (one of them heavy rain) and did probably 300-400 miles or 300-400 laps. I am sure the next time i go to the same track, with the same car (which is my daily driven car, and am supposed to know it pretty well), i will be nervous again. And this without the experience with close racing

Right now my involvement depends on going back to work (i start again Monday), saving some money and fixing one of my project cars. I want to drive something as real to a race car, as possible. The Honda Civic is fun to drive, but I want proper seat, seatbelts, even roll cage at some point. I have all that i need for the car, it is up to cleaning a little bit the engine, mounting the seat and 6 point harness. Yeah, it is still '88 FWD Toyota Corolla, but it is enough for now.

I also felt that most of the time, i just go to the track, do laps and learn nothing. I guess the adrenaline is pretty high, when I go rarely. Each time i feel that I have never done it before. This was the reason to try teach myself some process to follow, using computer simulations (iRacing). After all, if I can not do it virtually, how am supposed to do it in real life?. From determining what will do the next session and actually seeing my mistakes, to experiencing the data analysis process and setting goals. I am tired of just driving, and having no plan of how to improve. The thing is that i don't like plans in real life for one reason or another, so now am struggling to improve in this area.

I mostly rely on my subconscious to lead me, instead of actually thinking. Even when I am writing this, i have only a vague idea of what I am writing. Just follow my inner voice and a general idea. It is pretty interesting to read what i wrote. Yeah, I know that "sometimes" my posts are pretty long, but this is the side effect. I found that by writing my thoughts down, it helps me know myself better and learn. Just sitting and thinking does not help, as the thoughts come and go. One time I know something, the moment after i struggle to remember what I was thinking for. There are so many times when I say to myself - "This is so obvious. No need to write it down.". Well after few days, it becomes not so obvious.

So, a few years ago, when I found out that writing helps me, i decided to use the forums to gather my thought at some point in time. I know that if I keep them somewhere on my PC, i will loose them pretty fast, so forums are handy storage This way, i am "forced" to actually sit down and write, because i do it not only for myself, but hopefully for others, and one big side effect is that i try to post only what I think is valuable. Posting only what i think is valuable then helps me when I go back in time to find stuff easier, or if I want to show someone my thoughts on something, just paste him/her the thread. You know, many times i remember that i have read about particular topic somewhere, but can't remember when and where. Keeping my post count reasonable, helps me "remember".

If I ever (or my brother) goes to Lime Rock, i will be sure to say hello to all of you. Life is strange thing, there are lots of "butterfly effects" (should read something more about chaos theory) around, so unexpected things happen.
Old 03-12-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

oldred... I won't tell anyone but once you break through that toasty crust of yours there's a warm vibrant heart still merrily pushing cholesterol to your extremities. The very long reports from my early days on this site are few and far between now but five or six years ago you'd have been rolling your eyes at my cwc (crushing word count) posts on a regular basis. All pre-dating FaceTube. When not racing, at least I could write about racing and learning to race with other passionate, like-minded folk in the Skip Barber universe.

Favorite moniker for this site has always been a "Virtual Club House" or "Raccoon Lodge" for Skipites because of the very specific support and resources it provides for those whose focus is learning and practicing the craft. Lyubomir's passion has a unique and compelling story line but the feelings are familiar to anyone with a jones for racing. His focus on overcoming formidable obstacles with a sense of humor and positive attitude is what stands out and makes him successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
Duo, It's hard to believe SUCH a nice guy as you even exists anymore.

My first reaction was: 'Gee. When can I get my hands on the LONG introduction?'

Then I read it and realized you're right. We all have the same disease and it manifests itself any way it can.

Do what you can to stay involved, Lyubomir. Have fun. Success. Whatever keeps you involved. And if you ever get to Lime Rock, say hello to Duo first, then me. He's obviously a nicer guy than I am.
Old 03-12-2010

Pat, thank you again

I wish i was as positive when working on my car or at my job, as when writing for my experiences. There are many persons in one skin, and frequently fight each other Usually follow emotions, rather than common sense, and probably that is why don't like planning and struggle with setting goals, and most importantly follow them.

Each morning when I wake up, it is like the day before didn't exist. Just follow the easier path, the same as when the current follows the path with least resistance. I think i am addicted to searching the best source of information available, but when I find it, do not use it the way I should. My PC and head are full with tons of stuff and ideas, but i guess I am afraid to start implementing them. Or just find something more interesting. That is why i try to limit my exposure to Internet. Google state that their main goal is to gather all information that was created EVER . I don't remember the percent that they are currently at. I don't want to continue searching for the rest of my life. I feel that although technologies give you so much information today, that they also take from you the time to think. I am highly demotivated to do things that someone already did or to search for the solution, instead of trying to think about it myself.
Here is an interesting video (Google makes sure that their employees have the chance to improve themselves in many areas, not only in their job):

I like the idea of racing cars, because know that while trying to learn, this will make me a better person. And i have lots of things to fix. While reading books like "Going Faster", the "Speed Secret" series, watching DVD's and YouTube videos, reading other people experiences, i somehow succeed to place myself in the context, and imagine how i am doing it. Well, actually doing it is another thing, but from time to time try to fix this. The last time I experienced this, which may be compared to being in the "Zone" is by watching a DVD about building a Lotus 7 kitcar. It made so much sense and seemed so easy, that I actually spent some time thinking about building one myself.

I have few friends that are also involved in racing, and usually admire their passion. Some of them can express it with words, some of them not, but they actually live for racing. I sometimes stop at the point of trying to be valuable to them somehow, mainly with discussions and information. I am lots of time overwhelmed with the things that I should do, and at this point find it easier to read, instead of DO something. I know what is the problem, but bad habits as you know are not easy to overcome

Quote:
'Perfect' is the enemy of 'Good'.
Yep, if it aint perfect, i am not happy with it, and this on of the main reasons to not be persistent with doing something. This is why i posted the Einstein thread too. I like posting stuff that shows my weaknesses. I am not afraid to admit my mistakes or weaknesses. Usually i see the end result that I want, but during the path when things start to deviate from this perfect image I have, i loose interest. I should start looking more into the present, than the future.

I don't know if I am more afraid to make mistakes or to learn bad habits, which after that will be hard to unlearn. That is why i search for the best possible source of information in first place. But the search exhausts me, and when I find it, don't have the energy to read it and apply it.

But learning is a never ending process, so the least thing I can do is through my hobby try to touch the enlightenment. Surely ignorance saves you lots of troubles, but I am not interested in it and want my life to have a reason.

I also try to be open to anything, which made me remember one of the scenes of the 2012 movie:

The old monk filling the young monk's cup till it overflows and saying:
Quote:
'Like this cup you are full of opinions and speculations. To see the light of wisdom, you first must empty your cup.'
This is what I am trying to resurrect now. I like old and simple cars. Driving it gave me the feedback that i really expect from a car. No ABS, power steering or unneeded electronics. Good and reliable engine... Formula Atlantics used to race with 4A-GEs, although with a lot better specifications

'88 Toyota Corolla AE92 GTi (4A-GE)

Tags
introduction , lyubomir , lz2lps

Bookmark This Thread