Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 03-26-2009
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Off to Sebring...

Well, I'm off in a couple of hours for my 3-day at Sebring. I've read 'Going Faster' three times in the last few weeks and I'm as primed as I've been for anything since my CFI checkride.

I should have photos (and impressions of the weekend) to post on Sunday night or Monday morning. Probably the latter, as I'm sure I'll be too tired to deal with the camera and computer by the time I get home on Sunday.

Ken
Old 03-26-2009

Re: Off to Sebring...

All that book stuff goes out the window, when you first get into a car at speed. You are more worried about stopping, before that wall hits you. You'll love it. I wasn't able to apply any book stuff, untill I was driving for a year or so. Slip Angle means nothing when you are spinning wildly down the front staight coming off of 17. You just know that you must have hung it out more than 23 degrees !
Have fun.
Ron
Old 03-26-2009
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Excited for you Ken...

We'll look forward to your reports and pictures. Ron is right... The book learning will probably only help in the classroom so keep it simple in the car (keep breathing, eyes up with relaxed hands) and you'll be grinning the whole time.

You're going to have a ball.

PS... Just came back from Florida and the weather was perfect. Low 80's with low humidity during the day and high 50's at night. Bring sun block!
Old 03-26-2009
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

The best three days of any grownup's life!!!!
Old 03-26-2009

OK, we've arrived at the track. All squared away at the hotel; I can actually see part of the track from my window. Can't wait til tomorrow!

My wife came down with me (a nice 80 mile drive from home) and will be watching with interest throughout the weekend. She might take the course herself at some point. We'll see what she thinks, though she definitely likes this better than all the flying we've done together...

Anyway, more to come...

Ken
Old 03-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE View Post
The best three days of any grownup's life!!!!
Sounds good to me! Though it's going to take something spectacular to top my initial T-6 checkout...

Ken
Old 03-26-2009
Grand Master

So you're at the Chateau Elan that overlooks the famous turn 7 hairpin. You'll be pleased to know your track facing room went for about $500 a night last week during the famous 12 hour enduro! If you look past the current hairpin you'll see a runoff area that continues almost to the road and then curves back to reconnect with the track. That's the original configuration of the hairpin. The new configuration allows some safety margin if you overcook the corner or have a brake failure. As you can see the old configuration didn't leave much margin for error!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
OK, we've arrived at the track. All squared away at the hotel; I can actually see part of the track from my window. Can't wait til tomorrow!
Ken
Old 03-26-2009

Gallery Images: 1

Have a blast, Ken. I'm working this weekend... in other words I'm doing what I have to do to do what I love to do (you can fill this in!). Sebring is an awsome track. You'll love it! gdr
Old 03-27-2009
Skippy Instructor

Ken,
Enjoy the school! Great opportunity that so many wish for.
If I may..."Quiting f*%king with the GPS and fly the airplane!" There will be time for the book stuff later.
JP
Old 03-27-2009
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
..the famous turn 7 hairpin. ...As you can see the old configuration didn't leave much margin for error!
hence the nickname "scarepin"
Old 03-27-2009

Gallery Images: 122

I agree with JP. All that book nonsense, and class room stuff is not as useful as track time.

I would also like to state, that once again the TJR community has failed to save someone from himself and full blown addiction. We had weeks of notice and might have helped Ken keep some of his money. Instead, he will do what we have all done, leave our wallets, CC's and cold hard cash at the track. From now on, every purchase Ken makes he will ask the questions we all do, what percentage of a lapping day is my purchase, and do I really need a new fridge?

No Ken, you don't need a new fridge you need another lapping day
Old 03-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsutherland View Post
I agree with JP. All that book nonsense, and class room stuff is not as useful as track time.

I would also like to state, that once again the TJR community has failed to save someone from himself and full blown addiction. We had weeks of notice and might have helped Ken keep some of his money. Instead, he will do what we have all done, leave our wallets, CC's and cold hard cash at the track. From now on, every purchase Ken makes he will ask the questions we all do, what percentage of a lapping day is my purchase, and do I really need a new fridge?

I'm sure my wife would like to say to the group: "Thanks for nothing, guys."

Who needs new fridges, anyway. If I wasn't spending money on racing, I'd only be blowing it on airplanes!

Ken
Old 03-27-2009

Well, the first day is done. Showered, fed, and ready for bed.

My overall first impressions: Big fun!! Almost up there with warbird aerobatics.

I think I wound up doing OK today. The speed will (hopefully) come later, but I spent today concentrating on being smooth (steering, shifting, braking) and trying to be ahead of the car. The last exercise had each driver stopping on the start/finish line each time around to receive feedback. They didn't have anything at all for me, so they were probably looking elsewhere when I went past the corners with spotters!

There were two spins today, but no damage. The car I started the day in had to be swapped out after quitting on the way back to the pits and refusing to stay relit. They thought it might be a relay, but I heard that this car has had problems before. The replacement ran great, so no worries.

Anyway, more to come, but I'm ready to go lie down. G'night, all.

Ken
Old 03-27-2009
tto-tgood

ah, so true! it seems now that every time my wife wants to buy something, I measure it against "how much time on track" its worth, and ultimately I'll say, "nah, we don't need a new couch"

Quote:

have fun Ken!
Old 03-28-2009

Day Two is in the books.

Things went very well today. Much more precision across the board. Very helpful threshold braking exercise. Was complimented on my lines and encouraged to really push up the speed in certain areas of the track. I did and everything really flowed better. Was hitting 5000 RPM in 4th gear on the back straight (still had a 'stop box' on the front) and grinning hugely into my helmet.

RPM limits should be lifted tomorrow, the stop box will go away, and there'll be limited passing (on the straights only). Sounds good to me! It'll be nice to be able to go around all the slower traffic!!

I'm covered in bumps and bruises from the car (both shoulder blades, both hips, both upper arms, lower back, top & front of shoulders, inside of left elbow (???)), and various cuts on my fingers from the seams in my flying gloves. A small price to pay for so much fun and progress. I'll spend next week in the jacuzzi.

More to come...

Ken
Old 03-29-2009
Grand Master

You've done good work Ken.
Those G-loads you're generating are throwing you around in the seat more than you think. The shoulder blade and hip bruising might be helped with some seat foam. They should have a barrel of it in pit lane. The upper arms are probably sore from holding yourself in the seat without realizing it. That's what happened to me. (You'll be amazed how much difference a custom poured foam seat insert will make.) The left elbow is probably banging off the frame tube running under your left elbow while banging over Sebring's bumpy concrete. (Remember those elbow pads we talked about in the other thread? :-) And the front and back shoulder soreness is most likely from all the threshold braking and cornering G-loads on your shoulder straps. Great work. Advil is your friend.

One more day, and you can sign up for your advanced two day.

Quote:
Day Two is in the books.

Things went very well today. Much more precision across the board. Very helpful threshold braking exercise. Was complimented on my lines and encouraged to really push up the speed in certain areas of the track. I did and everything really flowed better. Was hitting 5000 RPM in 4th gear on the back straight (still had a 'stop box' on the front) and grinning hugely into my helmet.

RPM limits should be lifted tomorrow, the stop box will go away, and there'll be limited passing (on the straights only). Sounds good to me! It'll be nice to be able to go around all the slower traffic!!

I'm covered in bumps and bruises from the car (both shoulder blades, both hips, both upper arms, lower back, top & front of shoulders, inside of left elbow (???)), and various cuts on my fingers from the seams in my flying gloves. A small price to pay for so much fun and progress. I'll spend next week in the jacuzzi.

More to come...

Ken
Old 03-29-2009

Thanks for the kind words.

I meant to bring some elbow pads, but ran out of the house without them. I'm using one sheet of foam behind my back, but will definitely get the custom seat liner in future.

I'm a bit surprised at the strap marks/bruises, as I never had any after flying aerobatics at 4-6 Gs. Oh, well. No big deal.

After rereading my comments from Day One, I should probably clarify that the two spins I mentioned weren't mine, but happened to others in the class. There were two more yesterday, as well.

Time to get dressed and head for Starbuck's. Must have coffee...

Ken
Old 03-30-2009

Day Three & overall impressions:

Yesterday, unfortunately, was a VERY wet one at Sebring. Thunder, some lightning, and, for brief periods, some of the heaviest rain I've seen in five years in Florida (not counting hurricanes). Wet, wet, wet.

So... We got to practice the rain line. Also practiced avoiding deep puddles at speed. And saving incipient spins. I saved two and failed to save two. Those both went only 90 degrees before I got them stopped and was back underway. No harm, no foul.

Start practice was fun. I had the pole position the first time around, got the jump when the green flag waved and beat the field down the front straight to Turn 1. Big fun. Of course, having to alter the line through the turns in the wet really slowed things down overall yesterday, but I was still carrying good speed down the straights and was told that my lines were fine. I'm bummed that my video won't show me on the dry line around the course, but that's just how it worked out.

I did manage to pull off a couple of passes, including a very satisfying one coming out of Turn 7 that I set up perfectly. I saw the whole thing coming a mile away. The other car was set up to take the very wide rain line for a straight shot across the slick-as-ice tar patch, but I'd been creeping closer to the proper racing line each lap and knew it was dry enough for the pass. A better line through the corner equals better exit speed, right? That's exactly what happened. Better line, earlier power application, and ZOOM, right on by. Big fun.

There were three crashes yesterday in the rain. A two car pileup on the front straight where one car hit a puddle at speed and lost the back end right into the car alongside and both went into the wall. The second crash was, unfortunately, my car partner. He spun in Turn 1 and went backwards into the bare concrete wall at the apex. Hard. They transported him as a precaution and the early word was a possible concussion. The car was not going to be back in commission in the short term. Too bad, as it was running great.

Overall, I got lots of excellent critique along the way, and some very positive comments on my car handling at the end of the weekend. My thanks and compliments go to Keith, Fernando, and Jonatan. Great job, guys!!

My wife took lots of pictures and I'm still sorting through them. The video and pro photos won't be along for a couple of weeks, I'm told. I'll try to post something in the next day or two.

I can't wait to do my 2-day, though it may take a few months to work up the funds. Soon as I can, I'll be back at it.

Ken

Last edited by kbalch; 03-30-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-30-2009
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
...I can't wait to do my 2-day, though it may take a few months to work up the funds. Soon as I can, I'll be back at it.

Ken
My vote for 2-Day Adv location: Road America.

Get a seat insert.
Old 03-30-2009
Grand Master

Great job Ken,
Rain is always a gift at school as it gives you experience and confidence with a condition that usually causes tucked tails for those who haven't done it. You'll be way ahead of anyone who hasn't had rain experience the first time you compete on a wet track.

Most who learned and raced in the rain on the old polished Lime Rock Park pavement (Lime Rock was completely repaved last year for the first time in 50 years.) smile when it rains because if you learned to rain drive there you probably aren't afraid to drive in the wet anywhere. Sebring may be the next most challenging track in the rain because of all its varied bumpy polished surfaces and puddles. That track adversity gave you a lot to handle in a supportive learning environment that will only make you a better racer down the road. Mother Nature did you a favor.

Sorry your partner did in the car and shortened your day but glad he's OK and you'll be enjoying a make good session at your 2-Day.

Yep... A seat insert, elbow and knee pads, driving gloves, Nomex underwear, driving suit, ear plugs, a HANS device and a good helmet and they'll be no stopping you!

Sometimes I look at the cost of this sport and buy lottery tickets!
Old 03-30-2009
Skippy Girl

Quote:
I would also like to state, that once again the TJR community has failed to save someone from himself and full blown addiction. We had weeks of notice and might have helped Ken keep some of his money.
Well it sounds like you are to far gone to be saved, so may I suggest stopping by Friday and Saturday this week to hang out at the Southern Series Finale Races.
1. It's Free
2. You can meet and hang with some of the TJR gang as well as some more of the fine SBRS instructor staff.
3. You can go to corners and listen to the instructors give feedback and see how the faster guys do it!
4. Did I mention that all of this is FREE?

Ashlei

- At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan
Old 03-30-2009
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

It was a great school up until..... day 3 morning in the rain one of the customers was racing for that trophy that we never give out in the pouring rain and spun into another customer on the front straight, and of course Kens partner who had been doing a fantastic job and crashed in 1. I saw him last night and he is ok. Just a little rattled. These cars are very safe and I am proud to say we continue to try to make these schools the safest in the world. It's been a long time since I had any injury that a band aid would not fix and thats the same in this case. I am thankful he's ok. He hit pure concrete with the transmission. He'll be back I am sure... he really enjoyed the school too! It was nice to meet everybody and hope to see you guys come back. Thanks, Keith
Old 03-30-2009
red mist junkie

Had the pleasure of a Hurricane coming through during the last day of my 3 day and learned a TON. A lot of car control at a much lower speed threshold. Sort of a Catch and release in the Slide dept.
My driving partner did not want to drive in the rain so I got double time....learned a lot!
We are now joined by another Addict and Skip Barber Schools has created another financial disaster. I hope they are happy!
Old 03-30-2009
administrationistperson

Quote:
After rereading my comments from Day One, I should probably clarify that the two spins I mentioned weren't mine, but happened to others in the class. There were two more yesterday, as well.
Congrats, good stuff, wish I could start all over.

Here is one good thread on wet racing, in it is Rob Slonakers adv. technique writeup on same. I love racing in the wet!!!

All of Rob's adv technique writeups should be read, find them here.

Not spinning is OK, but spins are part of learning to go faster so don't consider them as necessarily negative, you push it, you spin, you learn, you push, you spin, you learn. Of course they are a bad thing when an inconsiderate wall gets involved, but again, that is part of the game also. Glad to hear the one victim is OK.

Not sure if there is a 12 step program for racing - welcome to the club

BTW - here is a 2006 Sebring Masters race video - the infamous Team Red - now that you know the circuit you might find it interesting, good action.

Last edited by cdh; 03-31-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-30-2009
Big Dick

There is a twelve step program for racing. Twelve steps is about as far as you can get from the ATM before you need to go back for more money.
Old 03-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyGirl View Post
Well it sounds like you are to far gone to be saved, so may I suggest stopping by Friday and Saturday this week to hang out at the Southern Series Finale Races.
1. It's Free
2. You can meet and hang with some of the TJR gang as well as some more of the fine SBRS instructor staff.
3. You can go to corners and listen to the instructors give feedback and see how the faster guys do it!
4. Did I mention that all of this is FREE?
Sounds great! Unfortunately, I have to be in Boston from Friday to Monday this week. Any other weekend...

Ken
Old 03-30-2009

Thanks! It was an adventure out there yesterday, for sure. I was definitely seeing progress throughout my sessions. My quick hit conclusions:

- The car will accelerate and brake nearly as well in the wet as the dry, so long as it's going straight. Just let it hunt a bit through the puddles and don't try to over control it.

- No trail braking; get it all done before the turn in.

- Easy, easy, easy applications of everything. Throttle, brakes, steering, etc.

- Stay off the dry line until you see someone else get away with it and then sidle back over a bit at a time.

It was definitely good experience, no doubt, but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it. Finding speed in the dry was feeling so good...

Lots of stuff to buy before the 2-day! Including lottery tickets... :-)

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Great job Ken,
Rain is always a gift at school as it gives you experience and confidence with a condition that usually causes tucked tails for those who haven't done it. You'll be way ahead of anyone who hasn't had rain experience the first time you compete on a wet track.

Most who learned and raced in the rain on the old polished Lime Rock Park pavement (Lime Rock was completely repaved last year for the first time in 50 years.) smile when it rains because if you learned to rain drive there you probably aren't afraid to drive in the wet anywhere. Sebring may be the next most challenging track in the rain because of all its varied bumpy polished surfaces and puddles. That track adversity gave you a lot to handle in a supportive learning environment that will only make you a better racer down the road. Mother Nature did you a favor.

Yep... A seat insert, elbow and knee pads, driving gloves, Nomex underwear, driving suit, ear plugs, a HANS device and a good helmet and they'll be no stopping you!

Sometimes I look at the cost of this sport and buy lottery tickets!
Old 04-01-2009

Hey All,

I just updated my site (www.kenbalch.com) with some of the photos my wife took over the weekend. I'll post the pro photos and video when I get them.

Man, I can't wait til the 2-Day...

Ken
Old 04-01-2009

Ken, this falls into the theater "break a leg" category, from your website "...and Ken ready to roll..." Aviation roll - good, racecar roll - bad.
Old 04-01-2009

Ha! I'll change it to something less ominous...

Ken
Old 04-01-2009
Almost a master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso View Post
Ken, this falls into the theater "break a leg" category, from your website "...and Ken ready to roll..." Aviation roll - good, racecar roll - bad.
Similar to instructors using the term, "tire-fire" to describe big smoky lockup on the radio. Nick-Nick isn't fond of that term...
Old 04-01-2009

Quote:

Man, I can't wait til the 2-Day...

Ken
And this is how it starts! KACHING! Another one bites the dust....
Old 04-03-2009
red mist junkie

And another one's gone.....And another one's gone.....Your bank account bites the dust!
Old 04-08-2009
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

Dont forget though... Skippy is Mooney speed at a 172 cost per hour....
Old 04-08-2009

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar92 View Post
Not even Sid could come up with something this confusing.
Old 04-08-2009

Quote:
Let me know when I can have RV speed at a DV20 cost per hour!

Ken
Old 04-10-2009

Quote:
Haaaawhat??? You lost me on this one Sir Pitmaster Supreme...
Old 04-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffDogRacer View Post
Haaaawhat??? You lost me on this one Sir Pitmaster Supreme...
An aviation simile...

Ken
Old 04-10-2009
administrationistperson

wtf are you guys talking about?
Old 04-11-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

O ye blissfully ignorant, the Dark Side of Seat Time encompasses many realms, each with its own siren song. Turn back now, if in fact ye can, for there is no ultimate escape from its snares, no matter how mightily ye may try. Your life will turn into a Sisyphean struggle, measured only in units of Seat Time affordable...

For the (fortunate) uninitiated: Mooney vs. Cessna 172
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	mooney.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	3173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna 172.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	3174  
Old 04-11-2009

RV-8. Accept no substitute!!

Name:	RV8JK0014.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	3175  
Old 04-11-2009
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
O ye blissfully ignorant....For the (fortunate) uninitiated: Mooney vs. Cessna 172
well, I used to be on that spending train but not since 1991.
PA24-250 Comanche, N9KD....

Name:	9kdflying-2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	3178  

Last edited by cdh; 04-11-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2009
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

I fly an Extra 260........ sorta

Name:	172smaller.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	3179  
Old 04-12-2009

Another former mount:

Name:	Ken with T-6.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	3180  

Bookmark This Thread